Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

In state tuition fee's - Arggghhhhh

In state tuition fee's - Arggghhhhh

Old Aug 28th 2008, 11:48 am
BE Forum Addict

sambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: In state tuition fee's - Arggghhhhh

Lots of excellent points, Thanks you two. At the moment this is how I am going to play it.. I'll get the amended form and take it to the College - to the person who is dealing with the case. I'll also bring every other form that they already have copies of. My daughter had the first contact with them, and I can see now how she was easily confused. I think I need to understand better what it is they are trying to get from me. Obviously i'll try the softly softly approach - but once I am confident that infact we are completely entitled AND can prove that.. thats when I think I shall be much more assertive! I'm frustrated by the fact that I am unable to understand properly - now I don't know if that is because they are changing the goal posts and just making it difficult.. or if they are asking me for something that i just can't produce... (if that makes any sense!).

Genuinely do appreciate everyones input - it certainly helps if you guys are thinking that we're entilted too.. As I say it will be interesting to see how it pans out.. and maybe help others if they come up against the same thing.
Old Aug 28th 2008, 11:49 am
Banned

Lord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RoadWarriorFromLP

But when it comes to dealing to government, you often need to tread more lightly. They have a monopoly and they know it -- it's not as if you can go do business with some other government if you don't like this one...

I generally agree with you however there are other Community Colleges so it's not a monopoly. I would agree wholeheartedly with your views when it comes to dealing with Social Security, Immigration or DMV employees. Piss them off and they'll hang up on you, dick you around and generally make things very difficult, as they know you have no choice.
DMV probably has the worst attitude of any agency I've dealt with here in the US. Generally manned by obesely fat, scruffy and lazy employees with a horrible ' do things at my incredibly slow pace' attitude US Immigration is up there too with a horrible attitude when 'welcoming' you back to the US. I don't mess with either

Last edited by Lord Lionheart; Aug 28th 2008 at 11:52 am.
Old Aug 28th 2008, 2:04 pm
And YOU'RE paying for it!

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck, Sambapink!
Old Sep 16th 2008, 6:48 am
BE Forum Addict

sambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond repute

Just a quick up date.. finally got approved for In State tuition fees today.. they were just being padantic about the Tax Form.. The final delay was my fault getting it down to them.. so sorted and all credited back
Old Sep 16th 2008, 6:51 am
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sambapink
Just a quick up date.. finally got approved for In State tuition fees today.. they were just being padantic about the Tax Form.. The final delay was my fault getting it down to them.. so sorted and all credited back
Nice... Now find her an apartment and you're all set...
Old Sep 16th 2008, 7:01 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by another bloody yank
Nice... Now find her an apartment and you're all set...
We've been having that arguements for months.. she can't work.. so can't afford an apartment.. unfortunately in her little mind she thinks she can... or is it that she thinks Daddy should pay, like all the other kids here..???
Old Sep 16th 2008, 7:04 am
BE Forum Addict

Bill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond repute

they were just being padantic

....must....resist....must....resist....so difficult.....so tempting.....
Old Sep 16th 2008, 7:05 am
BE Forum Addict

Bill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond repute

or is it that she thinks Daddy should pay, like all the other kids here..???
Of course... what are parents if not walking, talking ATMs?
Old Sep 16th 2008, 7:08 am
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

We've been having that arguements for months.. she can't work.. so can't afford an apartment.. unfortunately in her little mind she thinks she can... or is it that she thinks Daddy should pay, like all the other kids here..???
I think my parents were very close to paying me to leave. In fact, they did say they'd pay for college. The only stipulation was that it was somwhere far away. I took them up on it for a year, then came back to find my room turned into a study.
Old Sep 16th 2008, 8:00 am
And YOU'RE paying for it!

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute

Wooyay!
Old Sep 16th 2008, 8:02 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Bill_S
....must....resist....must....resist....so difficult.....so tempting.....
Sweet baby Jesus.. let me put you out of your misery.. PEDANTIC...
Old Sep 16th 2008, 8:10 am
BE Forum Addict

hobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond repute

My brother-in-law did that. Got his mom to "just" pay the desposit on the apt, then didn't work so couldn't pay rent... mom then paid rent so didn't lose the desposit. That could only go on for so long (she's a teacher, so hardly rolling in it) and he finally moved out.

And where did he go?

Back home to mom's house...