State ID Card

Old Nov 4th 2010, 8:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

randomgirl is a glorious beacon of lightrandomgirl is a glorious beacon of lightrandomgirl is a glorious beacon of lightrandomgirl is a glorious beacon of lightrandomgirl is a glorious beacon of lightrandomgirl is a glorious beacon of lightrandomgirl is a glorious beacon of lightrandomgirl is a glorious beacon of lightrandomgirl is a glorious beacon of lightrandomgirl is a glorious beacon of lightrandomgirl is a glorious beacon of light
Question State ID Card

Hi everyone,

A couple of days ago I went to get my Arizona State ID card, as we figured it would be useful. It has an expiration date of 12/02/10 - which is the date on my I-94. I hadn't given any thought to the card ever expiring until I saw the expiration date on it (duh!) so I'm just wondering what other people have done about renewing theirs? I don't have a drivers license, and I was hoping to start learning to drive soon. We're hopefully mailing the AOS stuff off tomorrow so it'll most likely be some time before I get my green card. Once we get something from USCIS stating that my AOS is pending, would I be able to take that to the MVD and either renew my ID card or get my learners permit? Or do I have to wait now until my AOS is complete?

On another note, my SSN arrived while we were on honeymoon so that was nice to come home to. Oh and hubby and I opened a joint account yesterday (yay!) so I finally feel as though I actually exist in America. Lol! I've also been added to his medical and dental insurance, it's a big relief to have coverage.

Thanks in advance!

RG
Old Nov 4th 2010, 8:48 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: State ID Card

Hi there,

The same thing happened to my husband after he arrived in Phoenix on his K-1 visa. He got an AZ State ID, they issued it with an expiration date of his I-94. By the time that expired, he had not yet received his EAD, so we went to DMV again and they issued a new one with an expiration date of his K-1 visa (so 90 more days). During that time he received his 1-year EAD card, so when his State ID expired, we went to DMV again and got one issued with an expiration date of his EAD card. When that expired, we let it slide for a while (didn't renew it) until he had his green card in hand. Went back to DMV and got his State ID renewed with an expiration date of his 2-year green card. When that expired, we went back with his 10-year green card and got a State ID issued with the expiration of his 10-year green card. Last year, when he became a USC, we went back to DMV for the very last time, where they finally issued him an AZ State ID with no expiration date at all. It says valid "indefinitely". Yay!

He never did learn to drive....yet.....lol

Rene
Old Nov 4th 2010, 8:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

randomgirl is a glorious beacon of lightrandomgirl is a glorious beacon of lightrandomgirl is a glorious beacon of lightrandomgirl is a glorious beacon of lightrandomgirl is a glorious beacon of lightrandomgirl is a glorious beacon of lightrandomgirl is a glorious beacon of lightrandomgirl is a glorious beacon of lightrandomgirl is a glorious beacon of lightrandomgirl is a glorious beacon of lightrandomgirl is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks for the quick reply

Wow, that sounds like a lot of trips to the DMV!

I don't know if I can face it, I stupidly managed to stub my little toe really badly while I was there and had to sit there the whole time while the lady was processing my application trying not to vomit or pass out because it was dislocated! Next time I go there I'll make sure I'm not wearing flip flops!!

If I go back in December and they issue me a new card with my visa expiration that will give me until the middle of February. Is it likely I'll have my EAD by that point, assuming that USCIS receive my AOS package by the middle of this month?

I suppose I don't really need a state ID, but it's nice to have one!

RG
Old Nov 4th 2010, 9:05 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by randomgirl
Wow, that sounds like a lot of trips to the DMV!
It was, and I didn't like having to sit there with my husband for a couple of hours each time getting this all done, but he actually didn't mind it, because in his home country it takes DAYS to get something like this sorted out, rather than hours...he was shocked that it was so quick here! lol

If I go back in December and they issue me a new card with my visa expiration that will give me until the middle of February. Is it likely I'll have my EAD by that point, assuming that USCIS receive my AOS package by the middle of this month?
Probably.

I suppose I don't really need a state ID, but it's nice to have one!
I agree! Much better than having to carry around your passport for ID.

Rene
Old Nov 4th 2010, 9:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Noorah101

I agree! Much better than having to carry around your passport for ID.

Rene

That was something I've been wondering about - as a visa holder am I supposed to be carrying my passport with me at all times? I took it with me to San Diego as we were driving there and they have border patrol stations en route, but I don't routinely take it with me when I go places. I do have a provisional driving license from the UK which I carry in my wallet, which has my (terrible!) photo on it and obviously my date of birth etc, so I can use that for ID if I want to have an alcoholic drink I guess (I don't very often!). The thought of carrying my passport all the time makes me uneasy, I guess just because of the major hassle it would cause if I somehow lost it.

I'm sure my hubby, like you, will be thrilled at the prospect of having to go back to renew my ID... hehe
I have to admit though, they were efficient when we went. I think we were in and out within about 45 minutes, which surprised us because the place was mega busy when we arrived. After the hassle I had getting my SSN anything seems smooth-sailing!

RG
Old Nov 4th 2010, 9:44 pm

That was something I've been wondering about - as a visa holder am I supposed to be carrying my passport with me at all times? I took it with me to San Diego as we were driving there and they have border patrol stations en route, but I don't routinely take it with me when I go places. I do have a provisional driving license from the UK which I carry in my wallet, which has my (terrible!) photo on it and obviously my date of birth etc, so I can use that for ID if I want to have an alcoholic drink I guess (I don't very often!). The thought of carrying my passport all the time makes me uneasy, I guess just because of the major hassle it would cause if I somehow lost it.

I'm sure my hubby, like you, will be thrilled at the prospect of having to go back to renew my ID... hehe
I have to admit though, they were efficient when we went. I think we were in and out within about 45 minutes, which surprised us because the place was mega busy when we arrived. After the hassle I had getting my SSN anything seems smooth-sailing!

RG
You ARE suppose to carry proof of your legal status in the USA at all times...which for you will mean carrying your passport around with you until you get your green card, even after you get a State ID. I have to admit, my husband did not carry his passport around with him. He did carry his green card at all times, once he received it.

Rene
Old Nov 4th 2010, 9:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

You ARE suppose to carry proof of your legal status in the USA at all times...which for you will mean carrying your passport around with you until you get your green card, even after you get a State ID. I have to admit, my husband did not carry his passport around with him. He did carry his green card at all times, once he received it.

Rene

Damn... I was hoping that wasn't the case! So once my I-94 expires should I also carry the notification from USCIS that says my AOS is pending?

RG
Old Nov 4th 2010, 10:04 pm

Damn... I was hoping that wasn't the case! So once my I-94 expires should I also carry the notification from USCIS that says my AOS is pending?

RG
I guess so. Like I said, hubby never carried any around any of that.

Rene
Old Nov 5th 2010, 4:24 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Rene
I never even carried my green card around after my FIL had his stolen along with his wallet in San Francisco. It took him forever to get a replacement and during that time his Mom in UK was ill luckily she got better.
Old Nov 5th 2010, 4:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
I never even carried my green card around after my FIL had his stolen along with his wallet in San Francisco. It took him forever to get a replacement and during that time his Mom in UK was ill luckily she got better.
That's what makes me nervous about carrying my passport around! It'd be typical that something would happen to it. I think once I get my green card I'll carry that, because at least it fits in your wallet! Still, I'd be worried about something happening to it, but I think I'd be more likely to want to carry it with me than my passport.
Old Nov 5th 2010, 11:44 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

That's what makes me nervous about carrying my passport around!
I suggest that a photocopy of your passport ID/signature page or a photocopy of your GC is sufficient for ID purposes IFF you are asked about your immigration status. If you're travelling, use the original... if you're just going back and forth to work and shopping, the photocopy will suffice.

Ian
Old Nov 6th 2010, 12:20 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
I suggest that a photocopy of your passport ID/signature page or a photocopy of your GC is sufficient for ID purposes IFF you are asked about your immigration status. If you're travelling, use the original... if you're just going back and forth to work and shopping, the photocopy will suffice.

Ian

Thanks Ian, that's a really good idea!

RG