Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Starting a business in US and running it from Europe

Starting a business in US and running it from Europe

Old May 13th 2007, 12:27 pm
Just Joined

jwac21 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Starting a business in US and running it from Europe

I have a publishing business in the UK and Spain and have decided to start a Florida based magazine. My thoughts are to open a US Inc company invest the required sum to get first publication out ($250,000).

I do not need to be there as long as I can find the three salespeople and one administration person. All production, design can be done from Europe for the meantime until things settle down.

I do not have to be there all the time Initially I will spend 4 weeks there getting people set up and office underway and initial training underway and then return home. After that I can just come for a week every six weeks to ensure things are working properly.

My goal is to build the US business up over the next three years and then look to move there Lock Stock and Barrel when my eldest is ready to leave school and go to university.

I know things are going to change in three years regarding Visas but Am I on the right track and what visas do I need

All advice is gratefully accepted
Old May 13th 2007, 12:39 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Starting a business in US and running it from Europe

With that sort of investment and with a existing company overseas ..
the L-1A Visa Intra-company transferees...maybe ideal for you ..
Old May 13th 2007, 1:57 pm
Just Joined

jwac21 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Ray
With that sort of investment and with a existing company overseas ..
the L-1A Visa Intra-company transferees...maybe ideal for you ..

Looked at L-1 and from my understanding you have to be resident in UK for at least three years I have been a resident of Spain for that amount of time and the UK company only has a staff of 4 people

Also I have been told that US congress is debating on the L-1 Visas and if they will keep them going or make vast changes to the criteria
Old May 13th 2007, 1:59 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jwac21
Looked at L-1 and from my understanding you have to be resident in UK for at least three years I have been a resident of Spain for that amount of time and the UK company only has a staff of 4 people

Also I have been told that US congress is debating on the L-1 Visas and if they will keep them going or make vast changes to the criteria
Then you will need maybe a B-1 for all those regular trips ...