SSN question...arg!

Old Apr 22nd 2003, 7:33 pm
jingling

jcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond repute
Default SSN question...arg!

I am getting really confused about what order to get the EAD, SSN, etc. in. Is this right...entering on a K-1, Cory has to get his EAD first, and then apply for his SSN?

I read somewhere that he can't apply for a SSN soley to get his drivers license...so does that mean K-1 holders can only get a SSN if they hold an EAD?

He arrived on April 2, and we planned to apply for the SSN on April 30...is that too late?? We are in Virginia.

Thanks
Juliet
Old Apr 22nd 2003, 7:55 pm
Forum Regular

canuk_32 is an unknown quantity at this point

Good question, was wondering the same thing myself. It's kinda which comes first the chicken or the egg? I too would like to know the answer to that.

I'm from Canada and will be moving to TN. I have another concern. I will have 30 days to get my drivers license but will require a SSN. I doubt I can get one in 30 days. If I apply for a drivers licence only after 30 days, I'll have to do the written and driving test. Confused about how to go about that.
Old Apr 22nd 2003, 7:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dekka's Angel is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: SSN question...arg!

Originally posted by jcapulet
I am getting really confused about what order to get the EAD, SSN, etc. in. Is this right...entering on a K-1, Cory has to get his EAD first, and then apply for his SSN?

I read somewhere that he can't apply for a SSN soley to get his drivers license...so does that mean K-1 holders can only get a SSN if they hold an EAD?

He arrived on April 2, and we planned to apply for the SSN on April 30...is that too late?? We are in Virginia.

Thanks
Juliet
Actually can I play leapfrog Juliet and ask my own SSN question? (Feel free to thwap me but I figure its related).

We were doing DS-230 Part I and II by telephone this morning, and there is a spot on the forms that asks if you want an SSN assigned to you and if yes, to sign the "Consent to Disclosure" to the SSA. Is this new, this option? I thought a fiance had to wait until s/he gets stateside to apply for the SSN? We are inclined to check YES, but want to know if anyone has any experience with this and, if so, does it move things along any faster than applying in person at a local SSA office?

Last edited by Dekka's Angel; Apr 22nd 2003 at 8:00 pm.
Old Apr 22nd 2003, 8:03 pm
Account Closed

imkimmy is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks
Juliet
Juliet-

Cory needs to apply for his SSN before you guys get married. SS put out a memo a couple years ago, saying K-1 visa holders are entitled to get a SSN with the visa and I-94 as proof.

If I were you, I would print out the SS memo and take it to the SS office when you go to apply. Once there, ask them to look Cory up in the system and see if BCIS has their paperwork caught up and Cory is in there. If he is, THEN submit the application. Do not submit the application before you ask if Cory is in the system. If you do this and Cory is NOT there, then SS will very his status with BCIS via snail mail. This could take months. If Cory is not in the system, I would thank them and leave. Come back in a few days and ask again.

When you submit the app, and you have verified that Cory is in the system, it should only be a matter of days (or a couple of weeks) before he recieves his card in the mail.

You are probably confused because prior to this memo going out, a lot of SS offices required the EAD to be presented to them in order to apply for a SS#. That's the way we had to do it way back when!

Once Cory gets the SS# card, it will say something like "Valid only with BCIS authorization" I forget the exact verbage. He will then be able to get the DL, and get on your bank accounts (if you are doing that one, if not he can get his own).

Just make sure that you apply for the SSN before you get married. And make sure you ask at the office if Cory is in the system before you hand over the application.

BTW, have you made any headway on the hard drive? That makes me mad just thinking about it.

Kimberly
Old Apr 22nd 2003, 8:07 pm
Account Closed

Originally posted by imkimmy
Juliet-

Cory needs to apply for his SSN before you guys get married. SS put out a memo a couple years ago, saying K-1 visa holders are entitled to get a SSN with the visa and I-94 as proof.

If I were you, I would print out the SS memo and take it to the SS office when you go to apply. Once there, ask them to look Cory up in the system and see if BCIS has their paperwork caught up and Cory is in there. If he is, THEN submit the application. Do not submit the application before you ask if Cory is in the system. If you do this and Cory is NOT there, then SS will very his status with BCIS via snail mail. This could take months. If Cory is not in the system, I would thank them and leave. Come back in a few days and ask again.

When you submit the app, and you have verified that Cory is in the system, it should only be a matter of days (or a couple of weeks) before he recieves his card in the mail.

You are probably confused because prior to this memo going out, a lot of SS offices required the EAD to be presented to them in order to apply for a SS#. That's the way we had to do it way back when!

Once Cory gets the SS# card, it will say something like "Valid only with BCIS authorization" I forget the exact verbage. He will then be able to get the DL, and get on your bank accounts (if you are doing that one, if not he can get his own).

Just make sure that you apply for the SSN before you get married. And make sure you ask at the office if Cory is in the system before you hand over the application.

BTW, have you made any headway on the hard drive? That makes me mad just thinking about it.

Kimberly

Here is a link to the memo:

http://www.kamya.com/ssn/
go down to the "Download the memo." section and you can get the memo.

Kimberly
Old Apr 22nd 2003, 8:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

robclews is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks
Juliet
I applied for my SS# as soon as I arrived in the US on a K1. It took 5 weeks to arrive and is authorized for work with BCIS authority. I didn’t apply for a 90 day EAD but have just sent my AOS forms in and have applied now for that. Many states have alternative methods for proof of ID for drivers license applications, it was recently removed as a stipulation here in Maryland and I obtained mine without it. The majority of states do not require an SS# for License purposes.

Hope that helps,

Rob

Last edited by robclews; Apr 22nd 2003 at 8:20 pm.
Old Apr 22nd 2003, 8:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

I should add that unfortunately some of the requirements for proof of ID are actually hard to comply with when you are a new K1 entry with regards to Drivers License.

When I went for my SS# I took my passport, I-94 and general info about me, this was sufficient to process the application.

I would imagine dear M D Young is reading all this in the background and will post a response, he is a wonderful source of SS# information and always supplies excellent information relating to this subject.

Rob
Old Apr 22nd 2003, 8:21 pm
jingling

jcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Kimberly,

Thanks for the info! When you say we we need the SSN before we get married, do you mean for immigration purposes or the marriage license? I hope it's not required for the marriage license since we've already made all the reservations for May 31.

I might have to change that date to sooner than April 30 (I took that day off work so we could get all that done in one day-SSN, marriage license etc.). It's making me paranoid that it might take a long time to get everything done.

Juliet
Old Apr 22nd 2003, 8:24 pm
jingling

Originally posted by robclews
I applied for my SS# as soon as I arrived in the US on a K1. It took 5 weeks to arrive and is authorized for work with BCIS authority. I didn’t apply for a 90 day EAD but have just sent my AOS forms in and have applied now for that. Many states have alternative methods for proof of ID for drivers license applications, it was recently removed as a stipulation here in Maryland and I obtained mine without it. The majority of states do not require an SS# for License purposes.

Hope that helps,

Rob
Hi Rob,

On the SSN form, what did you put down for your "citizenship"? For a K-1 holder is it "legal alien allowed to work" or "legal alien not allowed to work"? (are you considered 'allowed' to work before holding an EAD?)

Thanks!

Juliet

Last edited by jcapulet; Apr 22nd 2003 at 8:28 pm.
Old Apr 22nd 2003, 8:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hi Kimberly,

Thanks for the info! When you say we we need the SSN before we get married, do you mean for immigration purposes or the marriage license? I hope it's not required for the marriage license since we've already made all the reservations for May 31.

Juliet
You don’t need an SS# for the marriage License, in fact even if you have one it's best to leave it off the forms as the documents are public records with open access. With SS# fraud rife I was actually advised by the licensing department to leave it off.

Rob
Old Apr 22nd 2003, 8:33 pm
Account Closed

Hi Kimberly,

I might have to change that date to sooner than April 30 (I took that day off work so we could get all that done in one day-SSN, marriage license etc.). It's making me paranoid that it might take a long time to get everything done.

Juliet
Juliet-

No Cory doesn't need the SSN for the marriage license, at least we didn't! They asked, Stantton said he didn't have one, and the guy said "Well, I need something", so we gave him Stantton's social insurance number. Looking back on it, we probably should have given them Stant's A#, but they took the Social Insurance number just fine. Of course, we got the license in the Winchester court house just before we got married.

I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong, but I think you must get the SSN before you get married, because after you are married you are no longer here on a K1 (your status has changed). If you attempt to get the SSN after you are married, SS requires the EAD (since you are technically no longer a K1 visa holder).

Cory might want to call the SS office and ask them if he is in the system yet. That way you will know fer sure if he is there before you attempt to pay them a visit. Haha, that will give him something to do each day while he waits for you to come home.

Kimberly

Last edited by imkimmy; Apr 22nd 2003 at 8:36 pm.
Old Apr 22nd 2003, 8:36 pm
Account Closed

Originally posted by robclews
You don’t need an SS# for the marriage License, in fact even if you have one it's best to leave it off the forms as the documents are public records with open access. With SS# fraud rife I was actually advised by the licensing department to leave it off.

Rob
VA is still a little behind on the issue of not using the SS#s. You still need a SSN to get a license. It was only a couple of years ago that we even had the option of not having the SSN appear on the DL, and istead the state issues you a DL# (they start with a "T").

But they sure enough wanted my SS# on the marriage license.

Kimberly
Old Apr 22nd 2003, 8:38 pm
Account Closed

Hi Rob,

On the SSN form, what did you put down for your "citizenship"? For a K-1 holder is it "legal alien allowed to work" or "legal alien not allowed to work"? (are you considered 'allowed' to work before holding an EAD?)

Thanks!

Juliet
On our's we put, "legal alien allowed to work".

Kimberly
Old Apr 22nd 2003, 8:46 pm
jingling

Hi Kimberly,

Thanks, that's a good idea for Cory to call to find out if he is in the system yet. We'll definitely do that, it will be good to know ahead of time (eh?).

Juliet
Old Apr 22nd 2003, 8:51 pm
Account Closed

Hi Kimberly,

Thanks, that's a good idea for Cory to call to find out if he is in the system yet. We'll definitely do that, it will be good to know ahead of time (eh?).

Juliet
Yes that will help. That way you know not to submit the form until he is there. Of course going down there Cory could use the force on them--hey can he do that at BCIS for Stant?

Kimberly

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.