SSN Qs

Old Sep 14th 2010, 4:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

randomgirl is a glorious beacon of lightrandomgirl is a glorious beacon of lightrandomgirl is a glorious beacon of lightrandomgirl is a glorious beacon of lightrandomgirl is a glorious beacon of lightrandomgirl is a glorious beacon of lightrandomgirl is a glorious beacon of lightrandomgirl is a glorious beacon of lightrandomgirl is a glorious beacon of lightrandomgirl is a glorious beacon of lightrandomgirl is a glorious beacon of light
Question SSN Qs

Hi everyone!

Well, I've been in Phoenix AZ for 11 days now, and everything is great! We're both so happy to be together at long last. We've been busy doing wedding stuff and it's all feeling very real now - I couldn't really focus on the wedding before, while I was waiting for my visa and then while I was packing my stuff up and saying goodbye to everybody etc!

I'm going to be changing my name when we get married on 15th October, I was just wondering if it's best to wait until after the wedding to get my SSN? I mean, will it be loads more hassle to get it sooner and then have to change my name etc? I'm just not sure what's best!

When we get married I'll have been here 6 weeks, so well within the time limit of 76 days to apply for SSN (I read on here somewhere that they won't give you a SSN if you're close to your 90 days). Is there anything anyone can think of that I'll need a SSN for in the meantime? I would like to get my learners permit so I can learn to drive, but that's not really that urgent (think I need SSN for that, am I right?)

Aside from all the questions I'd like to say a big thank you to everyone on here for all the help and support you've given me during this whole process - I really appreciate all your time, and it's been so good to be able to get all this information from people in the know!

Old Sep 14th 2010, 4:32 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: SSN Qs

SS might only issue you a SS card with the name they can verify your status under (the name on your passport). It is better NOT to mention you got married when you apply for your SSN, because many SS employees think that disqualifies you from applying for one based on your K-1 visa. They are wrong in thinking that, but it might be a hassle to convince them.

I would go ahead and get your SS in your passport name, then change it when you remove conditions in 2 years. You'll need to get an updated SS card at that time, anyway, and it will be far less hassle to get them to issue it in your married name at that time.

Rene
Old Sep 14th 2010, 4:35 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by randomgirl
Is there anything anyone can think of that I'll need a SSN for in the meantime?
Everything.
Get your SSN ASAP. On the QT even.
Change your name on the account later. It's no big deal to do that, but it's a hassle to be w/out the SSN.
Old Sep 14th 2010, 4:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

randomgirl is a glorious beacon of lightrandomgirl is a glorious beacon of lightrandomgirl is a glorious beacon of lightrandomgirl is a glorious beacon of lightrandomgirl is a glorious beacon of lightrandomgirl is a glorious beacon of lightrandomgirl is a glorious beacon of lightrandomgirl is a glorious beacon of lightrandomgirl is a glorious beacon of lightrandomgirl is a glorious beacon of lightrandomgirl is a glorious beacon of light

Thank you both for your quick responses!

I'll go ahead and get my SSN next week as we originally planned then.