SSN for children

Old Feb 16th 2021, 1:18 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: SSN for children

Originally Posted by newacct
But no dependent child status is authorized to work on the basis of the just the status. So an EAD would be basically the only way a young child in nonimmigrant status can get an SSN.

This whole situation with the OP has nothing to do with work. When a child is issued a green card and becomes a permanent resident of the US, he/she becomes eligible for a SSN. As has been said, the OP just needs to take the child and the completed form and documents to the nearest SS office to get the SSN. If she's worried about checking boxes, leave that section blank and discuss it with the clerk, who will have dealt with the situation many times.
Old Feb 17th 2021, 12:40 am
BE Enthusiast

robtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutmegger21
Thank you all for your responses. How did you apply for the SSN? Usually they require a justification so is a child also a “Legal alien allowed to work” even tough not working at all?

Thanks again!
My memory is hazy on this, but I think we filed I-765's for all four of us at the time of applying for AOS, we certainly did not take a visit to the SSA office.
Old Feb 17th 2021, 12:46 am
Forum Regular

newacct has a reputation beyond reputenewacct has a reputation beyond reputenewacct has a reputation beyond reputenewacct has a reputation beyond reputenewacct has a reputation beyond reputenewacct has a reputation beyond reputenewacct has a reputation beyond reputenewacct has a reputation beyond reputenewacct has a reputation beyond reputenewacct has a reputation beyond reputenewacct has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robtuck
My memory is hazy on this, but I think we filed I-765's for all four of us at the time of applying for AOS, we certainly did not take a visit to the SSA office.
Yes, since 2017, the I-765 EAD application asks if you want them to issue you an SSN automatically if the EAD is approved.
Old Feb 19th 2021, 1:52 pm
Forum Regular

mum 2 3 has a reputation beyond reputemum 2 3 has a reputation beyond reputemum 2 3 has a reputation beyond reputemum 2 3 has a reputation beyond reputemum 2 3 has a reputation beyond reputemum 2 3 has a reputation beyond reputemum 2 3 has a reputation beyond reputemum 2 3 has a reputation beyond reputemum 2 3 has a reputation beyond reputemum 2 3 has a reputation beyond reputemum 2 3 has a reputation beyond repute

I had to get a SSN for my 16 year old green card holder son for his drivers permit. Due to covid the offices are closed and lots of people can do the processes in the SS office online, however we required an interview and the first time I called they said needing it for driving was not a valid enough reason to get an interview, if he needed it for a job they would have allowed but advised to call back in a few months. When I called back a couple of months later the process was more opened up but no interviews were available...they said to call the first day of the next month as that was when appointments were going to be available. It took me 3 hours and multiple calls (some I got cut off) but he was given a date and time for his interview. On the day we turned up with the paperwork filled out as per the directions. She did not speak to him at all, apart from to make him sign a form that I had signed (per the directions) so interview is a bit of a misnomer. The card came the next week. I was advised it can be applied for once the child is 12. (something to do with them signing the form themselves versus the parent signing that makes a difference?) I have 2 more kids who are 14 and would like to do it earlier next time, but will wait until the process is easier due to the covid restrictions lifting. Check with your local SS office to see if it is open and they will book an interview.
Old Feb 19th 2021, 2:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

destone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond repute

I wish I came across this thread last year when we filed for our I-485/131/765. Our attorney did not advise that we should apply for I-765 for our 1-year old daughter for child tax credit purposes. Sure, I should have done more research myself, which I will certainly do next time around.