SSN after EAD

Old Jul 17th 2003, 9:25 pm
Forum Regular

rzack is an unknown quantity at this point
Default SSN after EAD

Hi guys,

Just wondering, when is the best time to apply SS # after you get your EAD card? I read that many ppl who got EAD have to wait quite long time since their names not in the system yet. Is that right?

If I have to wait for a week or two, thats better than they said to wait for 3 months!

Thanks.
Old Jul 17th 2003, 9:46 pm
Forum Regular

janousek is an unknown quantity at this point

I think it totally depends on BCIS, when they enter you in SAVE database. In our case, it took them about 8days before they entered me in SAVE database.
I had applied for SSN the very next day after getting EAD, and SSA sent the verification to BCIS in mail, but I kept following up with local SSA office as well as the 1800# (without bugging them) and requested the lady who worked there to check my status in SAVE. 8th day, and she found me in SAVE system and then SSA didn't have to wait for verification results in mail. I received my SSN 5 days after that in mail.
I would say whenever you go to SSA, politely ask them to check your alien number in SAVE database.
Hope this helps.
-Janousek
Old Jul 17th 2003, 9:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

mrsm is an unknown quantity at this point
Default duh!

What does SAVE mean - Thanks
Old Jul 17th 2003, 10:15 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks Janousek.

It just I don't want to wait another 3 months just to have my SS # specially when I want to work immediately. So I prefer to do things right at the first time

Thank you very much for the info.
Old Jul 18th 2003, 2:05 am
Forum Regular

John McHugh is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by rzack
Thanks Janousek.

It just I don't want to wait another 3 months just to have my SS # specially when I want to work immediately. So I prefer to do things right at the first time

Thank you very much for the info.
You don't have to wait a single day to apply for a SS number after getting an EAD card. There's no advantage to waiting, it's just that the application won't be approved until the SS office gets word back from immigration that the EA status is valid. This can come from BCIS entering the information electronically (via the SAVE system, which the SSA can access) or returning a G-845 form to the SS office. This latter process can be accelerated by visiting your BCIS office, should they be inclined to cooperate. This worked for my wife and me (we had her SS number the morning after visiting the then INS office in Atlanta), and one or two other couples. It has also NOT worked for others who tried.
Old Jul 18th 2003, 2:58 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: duh!

Originally posted by mrsm
What does SAVE mean - Thanks
Welcome to the BCIS Systematic Alien Verification for Entitlements (SAVE) Program page. The SAVE Program is responsible for administering BCIS programs involving customer access to information contained in the Alien Status Verification Index (ASVI) database. This database is a nationally accessible database of selected immigration status information on over 60 million records.
Old Jul 18th 2003, 3:00 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by John McHugh
You don't have to wait a single day to apply for a SS number after getting an EAD card. There's no advantage to waiting, it's just that the application won't be approved until the SS office gets word back from immigration that the EA status is valid. This can come from BCIS entering the information electronically (via the SAVE system, which the SSA can access) or returning a G-845 form to the SS office. This latter process can be accelerated by visiting your BCIS office, should they be inclined to cooperate. This worked for my wife and me (we had her SS number the morning after visiting the then INS office in Atlanta), and one or two other couples. It has also NOT worked for others who tried.
2 months after I got my EAD ..I was still not on the SAVE system
The SS office had to write to BICS and I eventually received it a further month later...seems to work for some and not others.
Old Jul 18th 2003, 3:11 am
BE Enthusiast

mrsm is an unknown quantity at this point

ray6,
Thanks for the explanation, you learn something new everyday
Old Jul 18th 2003, 3:14 am
Ray

Originally posted by mrsm
ray6,
Thanks for the explanation, you learn something new everyday
With 60 million record, you can understand why a few go astray
Old Jul 18th 2003, 4:23 am
Forum Regular

SAVE stands for - Systematic Alien Verification for Entitlements
This database is shared by Immigation, SSA and other Government agencies.
Therefore when you apply for SSN, the SSA checks your immigration status, on SAVE database. If they find you there, hurray you're lucky. However it might take a while , before BCIS updates the records in SAVE for SSA to access the information to issue you SSN.
Further information about SAVE program can be found here:
http://www.bcis.gov/graphics/services/save.htm
So the bottom line is, when you go to apply for your SSN, ask them to locate your alien registration number in SAVE. And yes, Mr. McHugh is right. You can apply for SSN right after you get EAD in hands.

Which BCIS and SSA office you're dealing with anyway?

Hope this helps, Good luck.
-Janousek

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I am not an attorney or legal professional. I learnt about immiogration process and other issues by surfing the web and most of it on this NG. The information above is my personal experience/opinion only and must not be taken as legal advice.
Old Jul 18th 2003, 2:49 pm
Forum Regular

Default Bad experience before

Janousek,

Before I got my EAD I applied twice in Silver Spring, MD SSA office, but both time they refused. I need the number because I have ongoing medical treatment monthly on my husband's. So they need my SS# otherwise they will stop the treatment.

My husband even asked his boss to write a letter (complete with letterhead, my status and my need in that letter and the REASON) why I need the number, but still rejected. I give up. I called SS 1800 and they said I can get the number and even I know I can, but that STUPID lady there just said NO. (pardon me, but I think they should educate and stardardize their own rules and have courses for the staff on matters like this).

This time I'm going to Wheaton SS Office, I know I won't have any problem anymore since I will have my EAD. My file transferred from Vermont to Baltimore.

Just hoping that I will be as lucky as any other person who got their SS# within 2 weeks.

By the way, any guys who live in Maryland or Virginia that have good experience with SS Office kindly post your experience, so I just can go there.

Thanks guys for the great info!
Old Jul 18th 2003, 5:07 pm
Forum Regular

All they need is your EAD now. Don't for get to take all the original supportive documents with you. They would lke to see your passport, birth certificate and EAD card etc. Your SSN will probably be marked, "Valid for work only with INS authorization".
There should not be any problem now. I applied for SSN in NC but I know few people who applied in VA and they didn't have any problem. I wish you luck. Just go ahead and apply and politely request them to check the SAVE database, if you're already there.
I think if you use this word, 'SAVE database' they'll think they're dealing with somebody who knows how the system works and they''ll be more helpful. Human behaviour - you know what I mean?
Go ahead and search this NG with word 'SAVE', I revall one post by someone, this lady's husband applied for SSN in Florida. They asked the clerk to open athe save database on cumputer and asked to check the A# in system. The clerk was surprised and asked the woman if she worked for the government.... heheheh
I hope the same works for you too.
Once again Good Luck.
Regards,
-Janousek
Old Jul 19th 2003, 12:23 am
Forum Regular

John McHugh is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Bad experience before

Originally posted by rzack
Janousek,

Before I got my EAD I applied twice in Silver Spring, MD SSA office, but both time they refused. I need the number because I have ongoing medical treatment monthly on my husband's. So they need my SS# otherwise they will stop the treatment.

My husband even asked his boss to write a letter (complete with letterhead, my status and my need in that letter and the REASON) why I need the number, but still rejected. I give up. I called SS 1800 and they said I can get the number and even I know I can, but that STUPID lady there just said NO. (pardon me, but I think they should educate and stardardize their own rules and have courses for the staff on matters like this).

This time I'm going to Wheaton SS Office, I know I won't have any problem anymore since I will have my EAD. My file transferred from Vermont to Baltimore.

Just hoping that I will be as lucky as any other person who got their SS# within 2 weeks.

By the way, any guys who live in Maryland or Virginia that have good experience with SS Office kindly post your experience, so I just can go there.

Thanks guys for the great info!
I think you're fighting the battle on the wrong front. SSA won't do anything without input from BCIS. If your husband has a letter from his employer, take that to the BCIS and ask that they fax verification to the SS office of your EAD. If they do this, THEN you can deal with the SS office. No guarantees, but this can work, and potentially immediately.
Old Jul 19th 2003, 12:49 am
Michael D. Young

Default Re: SSN after EAD

rzack wrote:

> Janousek,
    > Before I got my EAD I applied twice in Silver Spring, MD SSA office, but
    > both time they refused. I need the number because I have ongoing medical
    > treatment monthly on my husband's. So they need my SS# otherwise they
    > will stop the treatment.
    > My husband even asked his boss to write a letter (complete with
    > letterhead, my status and my need in that letter and the REASON) why I
    > need the number, but still rejected. I give up. I called SS 1800 and
    > they said I can get the number and even I know I can, but that STUPID
    > lady there just said NO. (pardon me, but I think they should educate and
    > stardardize their own rules and have courses for the staff on matters
    > like this).

If you do not have work authorization, you need a valid non-work reason for
needing an SSN and about the only one most people have is if your state
requires one to get a driver's license.

SSA does have standardized rules. It's right here:

http://policy.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0100203510

> This time I'm going to Wheaton SS Office, I know I won't have any
    > problem anymore since I will have my EAD. My file transferred from
    > Vermont to Baltimore.
    > Just hoping that I will be as lucky as any other person who got their
    > SS# within 2 weeks.

Just as long as your new status has been updated in SAVE. If not you could
be waiting a while longer for your SSN.

> By the way, any guys who live in Maryland or Virginia that have
    > good experience with SS Office kindly post your experience, so I
    > just can go there.

I got paid today, so that was a good experience with SSA. LOL All the SSA
offices in MD and VA are going to be about the same, since they all verify
your document/status through SAVE before your application is certified to
assign your SSN.

Old Jul 19th 2003, 1:59 am
Forum Regular

Thanks guys for the advice.

For Mike...you bet, before I went to the SSA I print out all the rules and regulation in their site. I even showed to the lady and she just 'NOPE'...no explanation. I've done my research and did my homework well except I just went to the wrong place. There is no point you argue with ppl who are ignorance. (I was not even being rude).

When I got home, I email and call the SS 1800 and they asked me to see that branch manager coz' very clear stated that I'm eligible for that, but I don't think I want to waste time with that lady anymore, so I decided to wait for my EAD and took my medicine for 3 months straight so I don't have to worry about not getting enough medication.

Well I can see that as long as your data in SAVE then it won't be a problem, I just hope and hope that BCIS update it for me.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.