Ssa & Irs

Old Mar 22nd 2003, 2:09 am
Just Joined

la guy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Ssa & Irs

Hi all

Have a couple of queries.

EAD
Q1.My wife received her EAD appointment (for 3/21) letter. Went to INS today. Received her EAD card which states validity from 2/25/2003 to 2/24/2004. That means a 'backdate' of about a month. Is this normal? Not that it matters, just curious.

SSA
Having received the EAD card, she went to SSA office to apply for her new SS Card. The lady told her it will take 2-3weeks for it to process as her computer doesn't show my wife's info yet, and she needs to verify with INS.

Q2. Isn't the EAD card proof enough?

Q3. As Tax filing dateline will be 4/15/2003, and we intend to file jointly, should we wait for her SS Card (which will bear the SSN needed for filing) or should she go ahead to apply for ITIN now?

Look forward to any asssitance and clarification.

God Bless All
Old Mar 22nd 2003, 2:18 am
Just Joined

Default SSA & IRS

Well, I happened to look at some replies on SSN and got my answers to why EAD is not proof enough. Thanks.

Still need to know :

should my wife apply for an ITIN now since that too takes time?
or

should she hold another week and check via the telephone next week to see if her SSN is established? The physical card in hand is not that important and that can come in the snail mail two or more months later.

Any help appreciated.
Old Mar 23rd 2003, 6:06 am
Just Joined

Default thanks

well.....

thanks anyway.

cheers.
Old Mar 23rd 2003, 2:07 pm
unDAUNTEd

KissingtheBrit is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Ssa & Irs

Originally posted by la guy

Q3. As Tax filing dateline will be 4/15/2003, and we intend to file jointly, should we wait for her SS Card (which will bear the SSN needed for filing) or should she go ahead to apply for ITIN now?

God Bless All

Hi there La Guy,

If your wife is eligible for a SSN then she is not eligible for an ITIN. ITIN's are only for folks who do not qualify for SSN's. Soooo...she will have to wait for the SSN.

Keep calling the SSA to check to see if they have processed her yet. Also, keep in mind (to avoid sleepless nights) that what the SSA tells you for ETA on processing time is not always the gospel truth. They told us 60 days, it actually took 120 until my husband got his card! That being said, I think that is a rather abnormal wait, I just want you to be aware that if they said two weeks, don't be too surprised if it is actually more.

As for taxes, we were told by the IRS *not* to enter zeroes or leave blank the SSN spot on the tax forms. They told us that they do not accept blanks or zeroes and that not providing an SSN can seriously hold up processing. She said to wait for the SSN and if need be, file for an extension.

I hope this helps a bit. I have had nothing but migraines over these issues myself lately.

Good luck and let me know how it goes!

Angela
Old Apr 10th 2003, 10:34 pm
Just Joined

Default an update

Hi all

Our worries were unfounded. My wife submiited her SS application on 3/21, Fri. On 3/26, Wed, she called the SSA hotline and got her SS numbers and told to wait for 2-6 weeks for the card in the mail. On 4/6, the card arrived. We are well within time for filing IRS.

Must say we are impressed that the system is quite efficient in view of the war and the reshuffling of homeland security/INS etc that are going on right now.

Hope this update helps those who are in the same shoes.

Good day all...
Old Apr 10th 2003, 10:35 pm
Just Joined

Default Re: Ssa & Irs

Hi KisisingtheBrit

Thanks for your input. Appreciate it.

Originally posted by KissingtheBrit
Hi there La Guy,

If your wife is eligible for a SSN then she is not eligible for an ITIN. ITIN's are only for folks who do not qualify for SSN's. Soooo...she will have to wait for the SSN.

Keep calling the SSA to check to see if they have processed her yet. Also, keep in mind (to avoid sleepless nights) that what the SSA tells you for ETA on processing time is not always the gospel truth. They told us 60 days, it actually took 120 until my husband got his card! That being said, I think that is a rather abnormal wait, I just want you to be aware that if they said two weeks, don't be too surprised if it is actually more.

As for taxes, we were told by the IRS *not* to enter zeroes or leave blank the SSN spot on the tax forms. They told us that they do not accept blanks or zeroes and that not providing an SSN can seriously hold up processing. She said to wait for the SSN and if need be, file for an extension.

I hope this helps a bit. I have had nothing but migraines over these issues myself lately.

Good luck and let me know how it goes!

Angela