SS card requirements

Old Sep 24th 2001, 12:56 am
Ralph Messana

I was amrried back in April and met the deadline for 245i. So far all we have
recieved is a notice of receipt from the INS. No notice of action etc.

What is needed to apply for a SS card? Is the Marriage certificate and notice of
receipt enough? Or does her visa app need to be approved first?

--
[email protected] www.latinadominicana.com

Old Sep 24th 2001, 1:45 am
Michael D. Young

ralph messana wrote:

>
    >
    >
    >
    >

Hi All!

To get a Social Security number (SSN) in the U.S. an alien normally has to have some
type of visa status. Depending on their visa status they could be issued a SSN that
doesn't allow them to work, one that allows them to work with INS work authorization
or an unrestricted SSN.

If the individual has a visa status that allows them to be issued a work authorized
SSN they will need Form SS-5, proof of age, identity, their unexpired visa and in
some cases INS employment authorization document (EAD).

You need to read this publication, "When A Lawfully Admitted Alien Needs A Number",
publication number 05-10096. You can download it from the Social Security Website at:

http://www.ssa.gov/pubs/10096.html

Check this out too:

http://www.ssa.gov/immigration/#card

Take care,

Mike

Old Sep 24th 2001, 12:01 pm
Andy Platt

EAD card. BTW, that receipt is all you will get. Guard it with your life!

Andy.

--
I'm not really here - it's just your warped imagination.

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Sep 24th 2001, 5:25 pm
Jeffrey Hynds

Mike,

Agreed, I'm nit-picking by distinguishing between a SS number (SSN) and a SS card. I
also pick on people who say 'ATM machine'.

I don't understand your point about the INS having nothing to do with citizens being
able to work. The right to work comes with citizenship, and the INS does have
something to do with that for anyone who was not born a citizen. The right to work
comes with Permanent Residency, too, and the INS has something to say about that as
well. I have never heard of the SSA issuing a restricted SS card to a person who was
born an American citizen.

I do stand corrected about the fact that possession of an unrestricted SS card is
accepted as evidence of the right to work. But what if the card is issued as
unrestricted in error, because someone neglected to stamp the card with a restriction
when the card should have carried the stamp? Does an error on the part of the SSA
give someone the right to work when by law that person is not entitled to such right?

Regards, JEff

"Michael D. Young" wrote:
    >
    >
    >
[usenetquote2]> > Mike,[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > It isn't the SSN, the SS card is what I think you're actually referring to, that[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > allows one to work or not. Only the INS can give permission to work. Any[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > endorsement on the SS card is merely a reminder to the employer who is looking at[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > it that the card holder needs INS authorization in order to work legally.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > Regards, JEff[/usenetquote2]
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Sep 24th 2001, 5:30 pm
Jeff

Mike,

It isn't the SSN, the SS card is what I think you're actually referring to, that
allows one to work or not. Only the INS can give permission to work. Any endorsement
on the SS card is merely a reminder to the employer who is looking at it that the
card holder needs INS authorization in order to work legally.

Regards, JEff

"Michael D. Young" <[email protected]>
    >
    >
[usenetquote2]> > I was married back in April and met the deadline for 245i. So far all we have[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > recieved is a notice of receipt from the INS. No notice of action etc.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > What is needed to apply for a SS card? Is the Marriage certificate and notice of[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > receipt enough? Or does her visa app need to be approved first?[/usenetquote2]
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >