Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Sponsorship Undertaking Form requested - why?

Sponsorship Undertaking Form requested - why?

Old Nov 28th 2012, 7:10 am
Just Joined

rollingstone93 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Sponsorship Undertaking Form requested - why?

So I went to the UK Visa Application Centre in Shanghai to get my biometrics done and hand in my application. My husband and I are both resident in China. My husband is my sponsor.

The guy at the UK Visa Application Centre handed me a Sponsorship Undertaking form SU07/12 and said my husband had to sign it before they could take my application. The very first line of this form is 'the sponsor giving this undertaking must be resident in the United Kingdom'. No amount of talking or escalating could get them to accept my application without the original signed form. I said we don't have an address in the UK. He said leave it blank...

Is this guy right? Do I need this form? Do I just get my husband to sign it and fill in that he is not resident in the UK where it says Full Address of Sponsor?

Now I'm kicking myself that I didn't ask if there were any other forms they are going to require - that's 3 hours of my life I'll never get back...
Old Nov 28th 2012, 11:14 am
BE Enthusiast

englishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sponsorship Undertaking Form requested - why?

Not sure about the form (or whether you need it) but you can write to the consulate general and lodge a formal complaint against VFS - there should be signs up all over the place that they are not allowed to refuse to take an application or alter it in any way. If more people did that then maybe we would start getting better treatment from them.

In general the guidance always used to be that a British Citizen living abroad is to be considered to be present and settled in the UK if they are returning to the UK at the same time as the applicant
Old Nov 28th 2012, 12:31 pm
Just Joined

rollingstone93 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi - apparently they can request that the form be completed and filed as part of the application. The sponsor gives his address as not resident in the UK and that the sponsor and applicant are travelling together back to the UK...

What bugs me is that I didn't see this on the UKBA site as a required document to submit with your application.

Eventually, I did find it here:
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/po...dance/ecg/maa/

I didn't know that they can't refuse an application - I had a hard time getting answers since the level of English spoken was not great. Ironically, he also handed me (a Canadian) another UKBA form that asked if I was exempt from the English language requirement and why..I found it baffling since the exact question is on the online application form....
Old Nov 29th 2012, 11:05 am
Just Joined

desmortes is an unknown quantity at this point

yes rolling stone. You are right. They must mention this sponsorship undertaking form as a required document. But instead they confuse us by posting this form somewhere on the page and it really confuses us.

Anyway, you must submit sponsorship undertaking form.