Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Sponsorship from uncle (US Business owner)

Wikiposts

Sponsorship from uncle (US Business owner)

Old Aug 20th 2011, 10:19 am
Just Joined

Bowgs is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Sponsorship from uncle (US Business owner)

Hi all. I've been looking through this website as a great source of research for a while now but have only just registered. I am looking to move to Florida with my wife and 18 month old daughter.

I am looking into the option of getting my uncle (American Citizen) who runs his own consultancy business to sponsor me. I know he can't sponsor me through the family route as I am not his spouse however, could he employ me and sponsor me that way? I am unsure wether I would need to prove that no other US citizen could do the job? Do I need to satisfy Labor Certification?

Thanks in advance
Old Aug 20th 2011, 12:44 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sponsorship from uncle (US Business owner)

Originally Posted by Bowgs
Hi all. I've been looking through this website as a great source of research for a while now but have only just registered. I am looking to move to Florida with my wife and 18 month old daughter.

I am looking into the option of getting my uncle (American Citizen) who runs his own consultancy business to sponsor me. I know he can't sponsor me through the family route as I am not his spouse however, could he employ me and sponsor me that way? I am unsure wether I would need to prove that no other US citizen could do the job? Do I need to satisfy Labor Certification?

Thanks in advance
Hi and Welcome to BE. "You" don't actually need to do anything right now. Your uncle should ask the company immigration attorney if you and the job both qualify for an H1B visa. If your uncle's company doesn't have an immigration attorney, he needs to consult with one from the start. The position needs to require at least a Bachelor's degree. You either need a Bachelor's degree or 12 years of experience in lieu of. That's just the beginning. If both the job and your education/exprience match, your uncle submits a petition for you, which if approved, means you can apply for an H1B visa.

Rene
Old Aug 21st 2011, 12:34 am
Just Joined

Bowgs is an unknown quantity at this point

Since I don't have a degree or 12 years experience I guess that rules this option out? Could I buy a share in the business becoming a partner and obtain an E2 visa that way?
Old Aug 21st 2011, 2:51 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bowgs
Since I don't have a degree or 12 years experience I guess that rules this option out? Could I buy a share in the business becoming a partner and obtain an E2 visa that way?
Possibly, but a big chunk of change. Definitely one for your lawyer assuming your uncle is happy with you buying in.