Sponsorship.

Old Dec 29th 2012, 3:13 pm
Just Joined

Kch3 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Sponsorship.

Hi,

I am a film-maker (mostly directing music video's in the UK) and I am writing to seek any advice that anyone may have regarding my situation.

I want to go to LA to show my work to studios, production companies and talent agencies to hopefully gain a sponsor or someone who is willing to keep me out in LA to shoot music videos, commercials etc

Would this be possible to do on an ESTA? or is there a specific visa that i need to get hold of?

Many thanks in advance.
Old Dec 29th 2012, 3:25 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sponsorship.

Originally Posted by Kch3
Would this be possible to do on an ESTA?
ESTA is travel authorization, but I understand what you mean. Is this possible on the Visa Waiver Program (VWP)? Yes. You are allowed to flog your talents and go to interviews. The only thing you can't do, is sign a contract because in that moment, you become a de facto employee. I wouldn't necessarily carry a bunch of résumés with you... because that might trigger some questions you don't want asked.

Ian
Old Dec 29th 2012, 3:29 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
ESTA is travel authorization, but I understand what you mean. Is this possible on the Visa Waiver Program (VWP)? Yes. You are allowed to flog your talents and go to interviews. The only thing you can't do, is sign a contract because in that moment, you become a de facto employee. I wouldn't necessarily carry a bunch of résumés with you... because that might trigger some questions you don't want asked.

Ian
+1 to what Ian said.

Further, if you do find an interested employer, and they offer you a job, your question to them should be "which visa will you be petitioning me for"? It is up to the employer to begin your work visa process. If they hem ad haw, or they don't know, or they say it's up to you...then that job is not going to work out.

Rene
Old Dec 29th 2012, 3:34 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by ian-mstm

Ian
Thank you for a quick reply! That has sort of eased any fears I had. Would this be a good thing to tell the POE when they ask my business in the US?

Also, I understand I will need to network, travel and meet people while in LA so hopefully you can help me with another query. Im going to give myself 2 months March 1st - May 1st to create initial relationships and just to do a lot of ground work, then return to the UK from May 1st - Mid June just to stay out of the country and reduce any speculation of me trying to over stay, but then return Mid June - Late August...both visits are under 90 days at a time and the total do not amount to more than 180 days. Is this acceptable?

Thank you again
Old Dec 29th 2012, 3:35 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Noorah101
+1 to what Ian said.

Further, if you do find an interested employer, and they offer you a job, your question to them should be "which visa will you be petitioning me for"? It is up to the employer to begin your work visa process. If they hem ad haw, or they don't know, or they say it's up to you...then that job is not going to work out.

Rene
Thank you! This is very useful and I will definitely keep this in mind!
Old Dec 29th 2012, 3:38 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Would this be a good thing to tell the POE when they ask my business in the US?
Uh... no. You're in the US for a visit (which is true) - that's all.

Is this acceptable?
It might be okay... operative word "might". It is up to the CBP officer to determine from your travel pattern whether or not you are abusing the VWP. We usually suggest staying out of the US at least as long as you were in the US. In your case, you'd be safer not returning to the US until mid-July.

Ian
Old Dec 29th 2012, 8:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

I've worked with several of the studios, mainly previz with Universal so I know enough to be dangerous.

Most of this work is on contract though, on a per job basis.There are very few permanent jobs for creative types in the movie industry anymore. And it's getting worse.

It's unlikely you'd get a sponsor as there isn't any lack of highly qualified experienced people who are unable to get regular work. Practically none....

A better idea might be setting up your own business and bidding for work but that would obviously take investment money.
Old Dec 29th 2012, 9:21 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by hotscot
I've worked with several of the studios, mainly previz with Universal so I know enough to be dangerous.

Most of this work is on contract though, on a per job basis.There are very few permanent jobs for creative types in the movie industry anymore. And it's getting worse.

It's unlikely you'd get a sponsor as there isn't any lack of highly qualified experienced people who are unable to get regular work. Practically none....

A better idea might be setting up your own business and bidding for work but that would obviously take investment money.
Thanks for your reply.

A major studio job would be an incredible opportunity, but like you said, I am fully aware of how realistic that is.

I feel with my body of work and attitude, i will find someone who is willing to invest in my skills, albeit a smaller production company.
Old Dec 29th 2012, 9:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

Competition is fierce but good luck.
Old Dec 29th 2012, 9:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for your reply.

A major studio job would be an incredible opportunity, but like you said, I am fully aware of how realistic that is.

I feel with my body of work and attitude, i will find someone who is willing to invest in my skills, albeit a smaller production company.
But then the question will be, will they be able to afford the $$$ it takes to sponsor a visa for you?
Old Dec 29th 2012, 9:50 pm
Account Closed

As noted above, this will be a major hurdle. It will cost the company several thousand $$ to sponsor you, and you are not allowed to pay those costs... and that assumes they can't find a US worker for the position. If it's a smaller company, that may be too much $$ for them when there are a plethora of people already in the US with similar skills and attitude... and they don't need sponsoring.

Ian
Old Dec 29th 2012, 10:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

In addition, production in the LA area is falling with work being sent to Europe/Spain/Prague/Canada.

I personally know many highly experienced pro's living on lentils, waiting tables, competing with hundreds of others for the next short term gig. And these are folks you'll find on IMDB with long resumes.

Even an acquaintance, Jim Rygiel, who won three Oscars for LOTR movies....that fact opened doors for him....once. He does ok but it's very tough, even for him.
Old Dec 29th 2012, 10:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Additionally...and please, I hate using absolutes, can make one look like a smartypants...

But, honestly, no matter your drive/ambition/desire you're not going to find a production company to sponsor you. They just don't operate that way unless you are some sort of top executive or filmmaker and they need you, and only you. (And apologies if you are...I don't know.)

However if it's really your dream to work over here it is not impossible. There may be other paths.
For example
1. Marriage
2. Start your own production company with an office in Los Angeles.
3. Develop your career in the UK and in Europe. Try to get some work with American crew based outside the USA. Network. Get recognition.
4. Do an industry related degree in the USA, maybe a Masters, to allow you to network,
5. http://losangeles.craigslist.org/tfr/ Check this craigslist link to educate yourself on the kind of short term projects going on. Make some contacts.
6. Get a subscription to Variety. Keep up to date with projects and production companies.
7. I don't know if there's any arts related visa that you can leverage.
8. If you ever spend time in Los Angeles try to hang out at this restaurant in Beverly Hills. Well attended by industry types. Rub shoulders with everyone. http://katemantilinirestaurant.com/category/locations/
Old Dec 29th 2012, 11:11 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sponsorship

Have you considered Toronto? There are several film studios there. Many American movies are filmed in the city. It's easier to move there than it is to the US.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Dec 29th 2012 at 11:21 pm. Reason: Typo
Old Jan 2nd 2013, 1:29 am
Forum Regular

Chrisdc has a reputation beyond reputeChrisdc has a reputation beyond reputeChrisdc has a reputation beyond reputeChrisdc has a reputation beyond reputeChrisdc has a reputation beyond reputeChrisdc has a reputation beyond reputeChrisdc has a reputation beyond reputeChrisdc has a reputation beyond reputeChrisdc has a reputation beyond reputeChrisdc has a reputation beyond reputeChrisdc has a reputation beyond repute

I completely agree with all of this!

There are almost no "staff" directors in the industry. All are self-employed contractors. This is not something you can get sponsorship for.

There is also no shortage of talented, hungry, young directors who don't come with the hassle of immigration issues.

Most production companies have retainer deals with freelance directors. The directors are not guaranteed any work and often have to hit the streets trying to rustle up their own projects. It's a slog and all dependent on a deep contacts book, reputation and of course, talent.

From what I hear tell, the music video business is in a tough place right now. The work is split between neophyte directors spending their own money (for real record company gigs!) or a small pool of A-list talent, with little in the middle. Budgets have plummeted this last decade to shockingly low levels. Top-10 artists who got $200K a few years ago now have to make videos for $50K. And that's often multiple shoot days.

Hotscot's ideas are all great.

You could spend 50K of your own money creating a convincing commercial reel. Raise 100K or so to start a business with a USC friend. Work your asses of to get clients, and with a bit of luck you will get some decent gigs to direct!

One thing I would add is that you should self-educate on the O1. I believe that an agent can petition for an O1 for their client, and I'm guessing this may include directors.

HTH!

Originally Posted by hotscot
Additionally...and please, I hate using absolutes, can make one look like a smartypants...

But, honestly, no matter your drive/ambition/desire you're not going to find a production company to sponsor you. They just don't operate that way unless you are some sort of top executive or filmmaker and they need you, and only you. (And apologies if you are...I don't know.)

However if it's really your dream to work over here it is not impossible. There may be other paths.
For example
1. Marriage
2. Start your own production company with an office in Los Angeles.
3. Develop your career in the UK and in Europe. Try to get some work with American crew based outside the USA. Network. Get recognition.
4. Do an industry related degree in the USA, maybe a Masters, to allow you to network,
5. http://losangeles.craigslist.org/tfr/ Check this craigslist link to educate yourself on the kind of short term projects going on. Make some contacts.
6. Get a subscription to Variety. Keep up to date with projects and production companies.
7. I don't know if there's any arts related visa that you can leverage.
8. If you ever spend time in Los Angeles try to hang out at this restaurant in Beverly Hills. Well attended by industry types. Rub shoulders with everyone. http://katemantilinirestaurant.com/category/locations/