Sponsoring my mum

Old Jul 14th 2010, 8:16 pm
Just Joined

eslalwani is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Sponsoring my mum

Just wantto see if anyone has any good advice on the above. I have my greencard but i will be applying for citizenship in Jan 11 but i would like to sponsor my mum. Any advice out there?
Old Jul 14th 2010, 8:29 pm
Forum Regular

seawaternow is just really niceseawaternow is just really niceseawaternow is just really niceseawaternow is just really niceseawaternow is just really niceseawaternow is just really niceseawaternow is just really niceseawaternow is just really niceseawaternow is just really niceseawaternow is just really niceseawaternow is just really nice
Default Re: Sponsoringmy mum

Originally Posted by eslalwani
Just wantto see if anyone has any good advice on the above. I have my greencard but i will be applying for citizenship in Jan 11 but i would like to sponsor my mum. Any advice out there?
Can't do it until you have that certificate of naturalization in hand. Other than that, follow info for I-130 petition.
Old Jul 14th 2010, 8:44 pm
A I
not even a fake TV lawyer

A I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud of

Where does your mother currently reside ?
Old Jul 14th 2010, 8:49 pm
Just Joined

eslalwani is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by A I
Where does your mother currently reside ?
UK
Old Jul 14th 2010, 8:54 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

UK
As others have said, once you are a USC, you file form I-130 to get the ball rolling. You can find the form here: www.uscis.gov, Forms, I-130.

The I-130 requires some backup form and evidence, so make sure you read the instructions well.

If all goes smoothly, your mom should have her Immigrant Visa in about 6 - 8 months.
Old Jul 14th 2010, 8:57 pm
A I
not even a fake TV lawyer

A I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud of

UK
Ok. I have experience with the sponsorship process, but my parents were already in the US under another visa, so the process I experienced is different from what you will encounter.

As seawaternow suggested, you can fully read the instructions of form I-130 which can be downloaded of USCIS site.

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/usc...0048f3d6a1RCRD

There are 2 somewhat important issues that may or may not affect you. It's not related 100% to the immigration process, but worth knowing:

Once "blessed" with a green card, the card holder has to actually reside in the US. This generally means spending more time in your US residence than abroad. (You can get around it temporarily with permits and such, but the expectation is that you are becoming a resident to indeed *reside* in the US

Health insurance is expensive and almost prohibitive for some folks. Wihtout it you will go broke if you get badly sick or in a major accident.

I just remembered that you have been in the US for a while now to become naturalized, so you probably knew this already. Since I already typed it, I'll leave it here
Old Jul 16th 2010, 4:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

Awesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond repute

Don't forget the i-134 Affidavit of Support, which you will need to commit to also.
Old Jul 16th 2010, 4:29 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Awesome Welles
Don't forget the i-134 Affidavit of Support, which you will need to commit to also.
For an Immigrant Visa, the affidavit of support is form I-864.

The I-134 is for non-immigrants.

Rene
Old Jul 16th 2010, 4:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Awesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sponsoring my mum

Sorry for the bum-steer - I just remembered the affidavit and googled it without checking all the details first. Apologies all round.
Old Jul 16th 2010, 5:06 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sponsoring my mum

and remember she probably wont be able to get medical Insurance
if she is older ...but you are sighing the affidavit of support ... One sickness can wipe you out