Sponsoring Family Members

Old May 20th 2007, 1:56 pm
Just Joined

Neil.Camm is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Sponsoring Family Members

I have been in the US for nearly two years and hold a conditional green card (the condition is to be removed in Feb 08) My parents would like to retire and move to the States - for them to recieve perminant residency status I would have to sponsor them? Anybody here done that? What is the process? How long does it generally take? Any information is greatly recieved!

Thanks in advance,

Neil
Old May 20th 2007, 2:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Silverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sponsoring Family Members

Originally Posted by Neil.Camm
I have been in the US for nearly two years and hold a conditional green card (the condition is to be removed in Feb 08) My parents would like to retire and move to the States - for them to recieve perminant residency status I would have to sponsor them? Anybody here done that? What is the process? How long does it generally take? Any information is greatly recieved!

Thanks in advance,

Neil
I believe for a start you have to be a citizen. Would suggest doing a search on here as this has been asked many times. Also are they able to afford their healthcare?
Old May 20th 2007, 3:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

farmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to behold

Good place to start - you can see that you need to be a citizen to sponsor a parent -

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/usc...0045f3d6a1RCRD
Old May 20th 2007, 4:15 pm
Forum Regular

Arizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks in advance,

Neil
You have to be a USC to sponser them and its going to take you another three years before you can apply (roughly) for the US citizenship and that could take up to another year,so you are looking at roughly four years.We done the same thing with my wifes parents,they came over on a holiday and we applied for them in Phoenix and got their green cards within six months.Mind you this was in 1991 before 911.I think things have changed a lot since then.I know people here that have been waiting six years and are still in UK and have been told it could be another four to six years.Good Luck.
Old May 20th 2007, 6:27 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Arizona Wurzel
You have to be a USC to sponser them and its going to take you another three years before you can apply (roughly) for the US citizenship
If he's getting his conditions removed in 2008, I would say he would be eligible to file the N-400 for naturalization in 2009. In 2008, he will have been a PR for 2 years. In 2009 he will have been a PR for 3 years, so if he's still married to his USC spouse at that time, he can apply for citizenship then.

Rene
Old May 22nd 2007, 9:44 pm
Forum Regular

unicorndreams has a reputation beyond reputeunicorndreams has a reputation beyond reputeunicorndreams has a reputation beyond reputeunicorndreams has a reputation beyond reputeunicorndreams has a reputation beyond reputeunicorndreams has a reputation beyond reputeunicorndreams has a reputation beyond reputeunicorndreams has a reputation beyond reputeunicorndreams has a reputation beyond reputeunicorndreams has a reputation beyond reputeunicorndreams has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks in advance,

Neil
Im in the middle of that now, for my Mum.
We have the visa fee to pay next.
I became a USC in June 2006.

Good luck when you start the process.
Old May 31st 2007, 3:33 am
Forum Regular

unicorndreams has a reputation beyond reputeunicorndreams has a reputation beyond reputeunicorndreams has a reputation beyond reputeunicorndreams has a reputation beyond reputeunicorndreams has a reputation beyond reputeunicorndreams has a reputation beyond reputeunicorndreams has a reputation beyond reputeunicorndreams has a reputation beyond reputeunicorndreams has a reputation beyond reputeunicorndreams has a reputation beyond reputeunicorndreams has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by unicorndreams
Im in the middle of that now, for my Mum.
We have the visa fee to pay next.
I became a USC in June 2006.

Good luck when you start the process.
Hi,
Just to update. I paid the visa fee of $380 yesterday.
Another step out of the way..