Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Splitting hairs question on leaving US when out of status.

Splitting hairs question on leaving US when out of status.

Old Jul 20th 2004, 4:05 pm
Forum Regular

Epitomee2000 is a name known to allEpitomee2000 is a name known to allEpitomee2000 is a name known to allEpitomee2000 is a name known to allEpitomee2000 is a name known to allEpitomee2000 is a name known to allEpitomee2000 is a name known to allEpitomee2000 is a name known to allEpitomee2000 is a name known to allEpitomee2000 is a name known to allEpitomee2000 is a name known to all
Default Re: Splitting hairs question on leaving US when out of status.

Originally posted by inquisitive40
Yes the I-601 is an application for a waiver of excludability, something like if you fail the medical or have a mental problem from the reading on the form.

Just so as everyone is on the same page,, I have no plans to leave the US until I have my permanent resident stamp in my passport

Patrick

Don't leave the country until you have your stamp. By the way, my husband's submission for AOS was in 12/2003, his EAD was issued 2/2004, his biometrics was 2/13/2004, the interview was on 6/14/2004 (approved), His welcome to America letters were dated 7/7/2004 and his greencard arrived in the mail last thursday. So have faith, SF is working quickly, we happen to be the lucky ones.
Old Jul 20th 2004, 5:08 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Just as long as you don't PM Ray6
Patrick
She never stops.. only 2 today...I am sure it my body she is after.. i keep trying to tell her.. my oxygen tank does not travel...
Old Jul 21st 2004, 1:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by ray6
She never stops.. only 2 today...I am sure it my body she is after.. i keep trying to tell her.. my oxygen tank does not travel...
Oxygen tank, my arse. You're not that friggin ancient..unless of course you've smoked about 6 packs a day for 10 years and have developed emphysema (sp?)!
Old Jul 21st 2004, 1:41 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by sunflwrgrl13
Oxygen tank, my arse. You're not that friggin ancient..unless of course you've smoked about 6 packs a day for 10 years and have developed emphysema (sp?)!
Your not far off.. rolled my own (no filters) for 45+ years
Old Jul 21st 2004, 3:33 am
Don't Know, Don't Care

inquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to all

As I stated earlier in this post, I have NO intention of leaving the US until my passport is stamped after the AOS process.

Was just one of those curiosity posts wondering if anyone had ever succeeded.
Patrick
Old Jul 21st 2004, 3:33 am
Forum Regular

Location: Indianapolis, Indiana headed for Nottinghamshire in May, 2012
Kady is an unknown quantity at this point

Patrick:

USCIS told me you have to have the "advance parole" papers if you leave the country before AOS is finished. Also, they said that is still not a guarantee that they will let you back in the country. We applied for Advance Parole with our AOS papers and luckily, never had to use them. I would call the USCIS hotline and ask them to make sure. You don't want to leave and screw everything up once you've started this long process. Just my thought but I'm not the USCIS.

Cheers, Kady

Ok, just looking for a view on this question, if a person out of status leaves the country after filing AOS and then wishes to return to the US, would a I-212 work to get them back into the country? I was just small talking with my attorney about the fact that I cannot leave the country until my AOS is done and that I want to see my kids back in Ireland and he said that it would be possible but not a normal procedure and that filing an I-212 (I think that is the document he said) would allow me back into the country.
Is this true? (doubting Thomas here ) How long would it take though? My main worry has always been my elderly mother dying and the problems related to travel and the possibility of not being able to attend her funeral without being banned for 10 years from the US.
Anyone ever experience this?
Patrick