Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

South Carolina Driving License ? EAD Pending ! Help :(

South Carolina Driving License ? EAD Pending ! Help :(

Old Jun 9th 2004, 1:43 pm
Just Joined

evilbowser is an unknown quantity at this point
Default South Carolina Driving License ? EAD Pending ! Help :(

Do you need an EAD here in S. Carolina to get the driving license (I know the requirements vary from state to state).

- AOS
- EAD pending (renewal applied for)
- Expired I-94
- student (legally)
Old Jun 9th 2004, 2:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

lpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: South Carolina Driving License ? EAD Pending ! Help :(

Go to DMV.ORG You don't need an EAD. You will need a letter from SS stating you are not eligible to receive a SS #.

Good Luck

Originally posted by evilbowser
Do you need an EAD here in S. Carolina to get the driving license (I know the requirements vary from state to state).

- AOS
- EAD pending (renewal applied for)
- Expired I-94
- student (legally)
Old Jun 9th 2004, 2:20 pm
Just Joined

They require you to have documentation that you are authorized to live, work or study. In reference to legislature -http://www.scdps.org/oea/nr2002/052802.htm

I have a SS #, and I have a current driving license, however it is expiring soon.

They have told me I cannot obtain one otherwise!

PS. I have my EAD application receipt, I have I-485 paperwork etc.

Originally posted by lpdiver
Go to DMV.ORG You don't need an EAD. You will need a letter from SS stating you are not eligible to receive a SS #.

Good Luck
Old Jun 9th 2004, 2:29 pm

katesuiter1 is an unknown quantity at this point

They require you to have documentation that you are authorized to live, work or study. In reference to legislature -http://www.scdps.org/oea/nr2002/052802.htm

I have a SS #, and I have a current driving license, however it is expiring soon.

They have told me I cannot obtain one otherwise!

PS. I have my EAD application receipt, I have I-485 paperwork etc.
I know S. Carolina isn't Florida, but here, the DMV told me all I needed was my receipt for my EAD to prove I'd at least filed. I didn't believe her at first, but she was right. I had my actual new EAD by the time I renewed my license this week, though, so it wasn't even an issue. I also took my AOS receipt for safe measure, just in case. (I was at the DMV from 9.30am til 5.30pm waiting, too, so if you have an extremely busy DMV office, it's worth calling ahead to try and get an appointment! )

Kate. xxxx
Old Jun 9th 2004, 2:35 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for your reply. That is what I have read from other threads, that some ppl have managed to do this. But the South Carolina DMV seems to be uninformed on this.

Anyone had experiences in SC ? Or can point me in the right direction ?
Old Jun 9th 2004, 3:38 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for your reply. That is what I have read from other threads, that some ppl have managed to do this. But the South Carolina DMV seems to be uninformed on this.

Old Jun 9th 2004, 4:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

lpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond repute

Every state has different regulations. Go to DMV.ORG and you can access S.C.'s there.

Old Jun 9th 2004, 5:09 pm
Just Joined

Originally posted by lpdiver
Every state has different regulations. Go to DMV.ORG and you can access S.C.'s there.
Thanks for the tip, however I have already visited the SC website. I guess I didnt ask the question correctly, I really meant to ask if there is a special situation if my EAD is pending.

I am currently in limbo, although I have legal status in the US, all I have to show for it is I-485 receipts and school enrollment.
Old Jun 10th 2004, 4:44 pm
Mrs. Yank

Petra is a name known to allPetra is a name known to allPetra is a name known to allPetra is a name known to allPetra is a name known to allPetra is a name known to allPetra is a name known to allPetra is a name known to allPetra is a name known to allPetra is a name known to allPetra is a name known to all

my EAD is pending. I am currently in limbo, although I have legal status in the US, all I have to show for it is I-485 receipts and school enrollment.
Aside from your AOS you're enrolled as a student?? Well my good friend, your worries are over!
Even if the people at the DMV misinterpret the current law and fall back on what they used to do you should have no problem getting a drivers license. Before 9/11 they issued them only to workers and students!

But like I said, they have changed the law in 2002 and now they should issue DL's to everyone that is in this country legally. With your passport and the (expired) K-1 visa in it, and the paperwork you have you should have no problem.

One bit of advice, if they are still the same butt heads like in my days... do not let them send you away! Ask for the supervisor. At the time, I was sent away and put in a call to my SC representative as soon as I returned home, and I had a three way conversation with them and DMV to clear things up. So... just in case, you want to bring the phone numbers of the people representing you, and ask the DMV supervisor to call them.

If they are not willing to do that, make sure you know the number of the DMV headquarters... that could help too!

Success,

Petra
Old Jun 10th 2004, 5:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Brit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond repute

Believe me..SC DMV is really something else! I've lived in FL & NC and never experienced any problems obtaining a driver license, until I moved here.

They wouldn't allow mine because I didn't have a SS card that matched my immigration status (CPR). The old card had the wording "authorized only for work with INS permission" or words to that effect. I had to go and get a new unrestricted SSC. The SS# remains the same.

Luckily it only takes a week or two and if you don't have an A# yet or are not in the INS system (SS computers link to the INS computers these days), they will photocopy all INS documentation and send it to them for approval which can take several weeks they told me.

The DMV official who processed my DL request actually agreed with me what a stupid system they have in SC!

One more thing, don't let them tell you an NOA (such as an I-751 application extension) isn't accepted as status evidence. It is.
Old Jun 10th 2004, 5:17 pm
Mrs. Yank

Petra is a name known to allPetra is a name known to allPetra is a name known to allPetra is a name known to allPetra is a name known to allPetra is a name known to allPetra is a name known to allPetra is a name known to allPetra is a name known to allPetra is a name known to allPetra is a name known to all

Mmmm.... They never asked me for my SSN card!
I never filed for an unrestricted SSN!
Old Jun 10th 2004, 5:43 pm
Just Joined

Johan is an unknown quantity at this point

Phew it was hard for me to deal with SC DMV.

I went there 2 months after my arrival on a K1 visa. I already got married and started the AOS process.

After passing the written and road test the guy working for the DMV told me that it will be worthless giving me my drivers license, because it will expire when my K1 visa expires which expired in a month.

He then went on to say if I have an EAD they can give my drivers license based on that. Obviously I did not have it. Eventually he went on to give me my drivers license based on the K1 visa and said as soon as I get my EAD I have to come in, and they will extend the drivers license. I also did not get the nice drivers license with my picture on it. I just got a piece of paper. The drivers license was sent to Columbia. It was sent to me after I went in to extend the drivers license based on my EAD.

They still make it extremely difficult for a K1 visa holder to get a drivers license.

My drivers license expires at the end of the year. Fortunately 3 weeks ago I got my conditional greencard. Hopefully my drivers license will now be extended for a little longer.
Old Jun 10th 2004, 6:12 pm
Just Joined

Originally posted by Petra
Aside from your AOS you're enrolled as a student?? Well my good friend, your worries are over!
Im not sure if I understand, I am enrolled as a student however I dont have any documentation except transcript? What if they ask for my I-20 or something like that..

But like I said, they have changed the law in 2002 and now they should issue DL's to everyone that is in this country legally. With your passport and the (expired) K-1 visa in it, and the paperwork you have you should have no problem.
Dont have a K-1, was a F-1 student originally and AOS pending after marriage to a USC. What paperwork would count ? I have I-485 receipt of notice or I-765 EAD NoA renewal receipt.

One bit of advice, if they are still the same butt heads like in my days... do not let them send you away!
Sounds like nothings changed...

Ask for the supervisor. At the time, I was sent away and put in a call to my SC representative as soon as I returned home, and I had a three way conversation with them and DMV to clear things up. So... just in case, you want to bring the phone numbers of the people representing you, and ask the DMV supervisor to call them.
Where do I find my representative ? Sorry but I am new at all this..

Thanks for your support Petra, I believe that without this forum and knowledgable people like you I would have given in to the unhealthy attitudes of the DMV in SC.
Old Jun 10th 2004, 7:56 pm
Just Joined

Well, I am considering just waiting a week or so longer, then I get my EAD from the Charleston BCIS office and can use it to apply for a new driving license.

There must be a better way, but as the lady behind the front desk say "no I have to wait for those documents" and then calls me "bo" and then tells me to go to the "IRS" (I guess they wanted me to redo my taxes ?) lol

Dont you just love South Carolina ? *wink*
Old Jun 22nd 2004, 11:57 am
Just Joined

Got my EAD over the w/d ...will be going down to the DMV.. I hope it takes a day to get this done!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.