Son Stuck in UK

Old Jul 8th 2015, 4:20 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Son Stuck in UK

Originally Posted by Boiler
I do not think my posts fall into that category, I think most of us are just confused as we do not understand what you are trying to do.
On the contrary, I think it is obvious what he is trying to do (return his son to the US on a derivative E-2 visa), it is the steps he has taken so far, and what his plan is to get to a satisfactory outcome, that are a mystery.
Old Jul 8th 2015, 4:30 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gunnerz
I understand your point and by no means want to seem ungrateful.
But rather than tell me what a bloody idiot I am maybe give me some insight on what I should have done and where I go from here.
Kicking me while I'm done and then expect me to say thank you just doesn't fly
To be fair, you called your son a bloody idiot - Ian just suggested that it may not actually be his fault!

But people will happily give you 'some insight on what you should have done and where to go from here' if you can answer their questions, which are fairly pertinent to the next step.

If you can give a bit more info, then I'm sure you'll get good advice (although some of it may be on the blunt side!).

Good luck.
Old Jul 8th 2015, 5:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

As I summarize the situation:

- son was in US on E2 derivative visa
- son lost passport and birth cert
- son's I94 was about to expire
- son got emergency passport and flew to UK
- son now has new passport and copy of birth cert
- son tried to fly to US and was denied boarding
- son is still in the UK

Answer seems to be to go to the Consulate in London and apply for a new E2 derivative visa with all details of current E2 visa held by the primary and details of previously held derivative.
Old Jul 8th 2015, 5:03 am
Just Joined

gunnerz is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Pulaski
On the contrary, I think it is obvious what he is trying to do (return his son to the US on a derivative E-2 visa), it is the steps he has taken so far, and what his plan is to get to a satisfactory outcome, that are a mystery.
Ok maybe I have not made it clear
We Re here on our second term e2 visa. Got my renewal in 2009 via TCN in Mexico City.
Visa expires 2016
My sons i94 was expiring so we planned a trip to the UK for him.
We could not find his birth cert passport and obviously visa.
I contacted the embassy in London.
They informed me he needed to get his visaatvthe issuing visa in Mexico. They told me he would need to either apply for a new passport and birth cert or fly to the UK to get them.
The deciding factor was his i94 as he only had 2weeka left on it. We new it wpukd take longer than that to apply for a new passport from the USA. So we made the decision 'naively' to send him back to the UK to get his passport and birth cert. travel back without his visa enter as a tourist which he effectively was as he had no visa. Then arrange the appointment in Mexico travel and get his replacement e2 come back into the US with i94 renewed.
Mistake yes obviously but I am open to advice of what we should hVe done and what do we so now
Old Jul 8th 2015, 5:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

They informed me...
Water under the bridge but in future never call the embassy/consulate for immigration advice. They are not trained to hand out advice and the supreme court has held them not responsible for giving out incorrect advice (which they usually do).
Old Jul 8th 2015, 5:12 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

As an aside I thought the longest an E2 visa could be issued for was 5 years?

For a whole variety of reasons the VWP was never going to fly but that is water under the bridge.

Option one seems to be to go to Mexico but I am surprised that he can not interview in London, I assume you mean you contacted the Consulate, who at the Consulate?
Old Jul 8th 2015, 5:13 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
Water under the bridge but in future never call the embassy/consulate for immigration advice. They are not trained to hand out advice and the supreme court has held them not responsible for giving out incorrect advice (which they usually do).
Lots of water....
Old Jul 8th 2015, 5:24 am
Just Joined

gunnerz is an unknown quantity at this point

Oh my really!!
I guess it's naive to assume an immigration officer would know about immigration considering there are the people you have to deal with when going through the process
Old Jul 8th 2015, 5:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Ditto.

Unless you have a direct line to someone at the London Embassy, you were likely talking to a outsourced "call center" who's people are given very little training and usually give an incorrect answer.

Since that is usually the case, your best alternative may be to have a one-time consultation with an immigration attorney to try to figure out if the London Embassy can issue the visa.
Old Jul 8th 2015, 5:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Owen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
As an aside I thought the longest an E2 visa could be issued for was 5 years?

For a whole variety of reasons the VWP was never going to fly but that is water under the bridge.

Option one seems to be to go to Mexico but I am surprised that he can not interview in London, I assume you mean you contacted the Consulate, who at the Consulate?
I agree, but I'd split that into Option 1a is to go to Mexico almost immediately, and Option 1b is to apply immediately and wait in the UK until a couple of days before the appointment in Mexico City. The flights might be more expensive, but he has family he can stay with.

I'm also surprised he can't apply in the UK. The problem is that the only way to find out for sure is to apply and see what happens, which could be a big waste of time. Edit: Agree with Michael that an immigration attorney in the UK may be able to give more information.

I do have one other point, though: I'm assuming that you (the OP) realise that your son's E-2 status will expire as soon as he hits age 21? He may be able to extend that by marrying a US citizen or by applying for an F-1 visa to study (though there's no guarantee of US residency after this). However, if his plan is to return to the UK, now would be a good time to start investigating his options there, for both studying and employment.
Old Jul 8th 2015, 5:30 am
Account Closed

Oh my really!!
I guess it's naive to assume an immigration officer would know about immigration considering there are the people you have to deal with when going through the process
Pretty much impossible to speak to an Immigration Officer which is why we are asking.
Old Jul 8th 2015, 5:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Oh my really!!
Even if you were actually talking to an immigration officer and not a call center drone, their training is in processing the forms in front of them not training in the law. Immigration attorneys are trained in the law.

Originally Posted by Owen778
I do have one other point, though: I'm assuming that you (the OP) realise that your son's E-2 status will expire as soon as he hits age 21? He may be able to extend that by marrying a US citizen or by applying for an F-1 visa to study (though there's no guarantee of US residency after this). However, if his plan is to return to the UK, now would be a good time to start investigating his options there, for both studying and employment.
I was wondering that myself. What is the OP's ultimate plan for his long term future? This whole situation may be a blessing in disguise.
Old Jul 8th 2015, 6:37 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

So here's what I would do. Since your son is already in the UK, have him apply for the E2 at the London embassy. In my opinion, since he's s UKC, that should work.

If that fails, come back and ask here again. I highly doubt the E2 MUST be issued in Mexico.

Rene
Old Jul 8th 2015, 2:40 pm
crg
American Expat

crg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
So here's what I would do. Since your son is already in the UK, have him apply for the E2 at the London embassy. In my opinion, since he's s UKC, that should work.

If that fails, come back and ask here again. I highly doubt the E2 MUST be issued in Mexico.

Rene
I concur with Rene. A visa app is cheaper than a flight and the hazards of Mexico.
Old Jul 9th 2015, 12:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Ok maybe I have not made it clear
We Re here on our second term e2 visa. Got my renewal in 2009 via TCN in Mexico City.
Visa expires 2016
My sons i94 was expiring so we planned a trip to the UK for him.
We could not find his birth cert passport and obviously visa.
They informed me he needed to get his visaatvthe issuing visa in Mexico. They told me he would need to either apply for a new passport and birth cert or fly to the UK to get them.
The deciding factor was his i94 as he only had 2weeka left on it. We new it wpukd take longer than that to apply for a new passport from the USA. So we made the decision 'naively' to send him back to the UK to get his passport and birth cert. travel back without his visa enter as a tourist which he effectively was as he had no visa. Then arrange the appointment in Mexico travel and get his replacement e2 come back into the US with i94 renewed.
Mistake yes obviously but I am open to advice of what we should hVe done and what do we so now
You're still not giving the full story IMO. What actually happened in the UK? Was your son denied boarding in the UK by the airline (there is no U.S. pre-clearance in the UK)? What reason was given? No ESTA?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.