Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Some general advice: moving to the US

Wikiposts

Some general advice: moving to the US

Old Apr 17th 2010, 6:45 am
Just Joined

LC155 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Some general advice: moving to the US

Hey,

Long story short, I wish to move to the US in the future and live there. I'm absolutely sick of the UK, everything about it just enrages me one way or another, and I know I need to get out of it before I go bat**** insane, haha.

Perhaps I'm a little young to be thinking of this, I'm 16, 17 next month, but I figured it was good to have this goal in mind at a young age, since I have more time to plan how I am going to make it happen. (My most desirable area to live in is definitely California, I just love that state)

I did a little research about the whole thing, and I know I don't qualify to get in through a relative. My closest relatives living in the USA are a cousin who moves around a lot due to his work, and my Grandmother's sister who married a US guy after the second world war and currently lives there with him. So in that aspect, I believe I'm screwed.

Marriage is a possibility, but I can't consider that as an option for now as I have no idea what the future hold in terms of love.

So, that pretty much leaves work. I have no idea what kind of career I wish to pursue in life right now, be it Medical, Financial, ect. I'm currently undecided, which does kind of suck since I'm going into my last year of Secondary school and then Uni after that (Another 4+ years in Blighty? Argh! ) What careers are most desirable to US employers, when it comes to internationals?

Clarification and perhaps some advice would be appreciated, you lucky people who currently live in the US.
Old Apr 17th 2010, 7:04 am
BE Enthusiast

discoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Some general advice

Start here:

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Pulaski_Simplified

A general point of advice; Don't plan your education towards what you think may be desirable to a US employer at some distant point in the future. Plan your education around what you want to do for the rest of your life.

One way of getting to the US based on employment is to work for a multinational with a presence in the US and UK. There are sometimes opportunities for a inter-company transfer, or being posted abroad for a few years.
Old Apr 17th 2010, 7:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Try not to get enraged all the time, it's bad for your health.
Old Apr 17th 2010, 7:10 am
BE Enthusiast

discoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond repute

Also, keep in mind that the grass is always greener on the other side - until you get there. Then you soon find out that it is as brown as where you came from. There is a big difference between visiting the US on a vacation and actually living here.
Old Apr 17th 2010, 7:22 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Try not to get enraged all the time, it's bad for your health.
Ahaha, can't help it.

@discoviking I plan to do that, I just need to figure out what that is first, just looking for anything that'd help me decide, but wouldn't be the main factor, per se.

As for the grass, you can't get more dead and barren than what my view of Blightly is. haha. :P

Thanks anyway.
Old Apr 17th 2010, 7:25 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LC155
(My most desirable area to live in is definitely California, I just love that state)
Don't believe the media hype... the place stinks! The air is filthy, the economy is in the tank, and it's very expensive to live anywhere near the larger cities.

Marriage is a possibility, but I can't consider that as an option for now as I have no idea what the future hold in terms of love.
With respect, love doesn't enter into the immigration equation.

So, that pretty much leaves work.
I disagree. If you have a good head on your shoulder, you should consider an F-1 visa.

... you lucky people who currently live in the US.
Be careful what you wish for - you may get it.

Ian
Old Apr 17th 2010, 7:32 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Don't believe the media hype... the place stinks! The air is filthy, the economy is in the tank, and it's very expensive to live anywhere near the larger cities.
I actually based my opinions from people who live in Cali themselves, I know a lot of americans from there as close friends. Most live near LA (Moorpark, Riverside, ect.) And love it. I do plan to go on vacation there this summer, so we'll see how I take it.

With respect, love doesn't enter into the immigration equation.
I agree, really. I just threw down all the possibilities I could think of onto the table.

I disagree. If you have a good head on your shoulder, you should consider an F-1 visa.
This was something I had thought about, but the problem is money. Never thought much more of it past that.

Be careful what you wish for - you may get it.
I wish! I've wished for a lot of things I never got, this'd be a first! haha.

Thanks.
Old Apr 17th 2010, 7:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

I actually based my opinions from people who live in Cali themselves, I know a lot of americans from there as close friends. Most live near LA (Moorpark, Riverside, ect.) And love it. I do plan to go on vacation there this summer, so we'll see how I take it.
One thing to remember is that Americans will generally say their country is The Greatest whereas Brits will say their country is a shithole. Neither view is objective.

Keep an open mind, work hard and I'm sure you'll do well.
Old Apr 17th 2010, 7:36 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

This was something I had thought about, but the problem is money. Never thought much more of it past that.
The motto of my high school: Vouloir c'est pouvoir. It's served me pretty well... it'll do the same for you!

Ian
Old Apr 17th 2010, 7:40 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
The motto of my high school: Vouloir c'est pouvoir. It's served me pretty well... it'll do the same for you!

Ian
Haha. Well, I suppose I could try to figure something out. I have a year before I finish secondary school and by then I may have worked something out, I hope. Any pointers you could give to perhaps help with the money issue? Any programs offered to potential F-1s or something? Thanks.

@Sally: That is what I'm trying to do, I just hope my seeds of hope will bear fruit someday.

Last edited by LC155; Apr 17th 2010 at 7:43 am.
Old Apr 17th 2010, 10:01 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Hey,

Long story short, I wish to move to the US in the future and live there. I'm absolutely sick of the UK, everything about it just enrages me one way or another, and I know I need to get out of it before I go bat**** insane, haha.
Most people who migrate to the USA do so by accident, either through a US spouse or employer. For now concentrate your efforts on getting good qualifications and a profession that travels well (not all do).

Have you thought about Australia, Canada or New Zealand?

Switzerland is also nice, you don't need a visa (or you can get one nearly automatically provided you find work) but you would need to switch languages. Or what about Germany?
Old Apr 17th 2010, 11:07 am
Busy at Work

lifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of light

Haha. Well, I suppose I could try to figure something out. I have a year before I finish secondary school and by then I may have worked something out, I hope. Any pointers you could give to perhaps help with the money issue? Any programs offered to potential F-1s or something? Thanks.
A lot of Scholarships and federal financial aid are available to U.S. PR or Citizens only. All the F-1 students I know came over here on their (or their parents') own money. Nevertheless, I believe a U.S. college/graduate school experience can provide a valuable experience, maybe it's time to start convincing your parents to shell out their savings
Old Apr 17th 2010, 4:00 pm
Busy at Work

lifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of light

(My most desirable area to live in is definitely California, I just love that state)
If you're looking for beaches and sun, Australia has plenty of those as well

Lived in Northern California for 2 years, and Southern California for 9 years. The places are gorgeous, but you have to be realistic in what you expect or you'll be in for a disappointment. If you base your impression on short visits, TV shows/movies, or what people say, then you're not getting the best picture.

P.S. Californians tend to say their state's the best in the WORLD...but a lot of them haven't even travelled to outside of the U.S. much, not to mention not knowing much about the Midwest or the East Coast.
Old Apr 18th 2010, 10:34 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by lifehouse51
A lot of Scholarships and federal financial aid are available to U.S. PR or Citizens only. All the F-1 students I know came over here on their (or their parents') own money. Nevertheless, I believe a U.S. college/graduate school experience can provide a valuable experience, maybe it's time to start convincing your parents to shell out their savings
Hahaha oh man. What an adventure that'll be. :P

I had looked at Australia before, but I don't think it's for me. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Yeah, I'm not expecting streets lined with gold and everyone to look like they're on a bottle of happy pills, that's for sure. All I do know is that it's somewhere I'd at least like to "try it out", and it's definitely better than Northern Blighty.

(Haha, I noticed.)
Old Apr 18th 2010, 10:38 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by JAJ
Most people who migrate to the USA do so by accident, either through a US spouse or employer. For now concentrate your efforts on getting good qualifications and a profession that travels well (not all do).

Have you thought about Australia, Canada or New Zealand?

Switzerland is also nice, you don't need a visa (or you can get one nearly automatically provided you find work) but you would need to switch languages. Or what about Germany?
I have considered Australia, yes, but I don't think it's right for me. Plus, I hate bugs, and I know Aussie has a ton of em.

Canada was the one I considered going to before I developed a hatred of the cold. Being up in Scotland, I'm typically used to a cold climate, but I hate any type of cold now. I hate it with a passion, so while Canada would probably be a second option, I wouldn't really like it, especially in the winter.

New Zealand, eh, it's one of those places I could never see myself living in, to be honest.

Thanks for the suggestions however.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.