Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Some anecdotal health care costs for Cong. Gabrielle Giffords

Some anecdotal health care costs for Cong. Gabrielle Giffords

Old Jun 17th 2011, 7:26 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute
Default Some anecdotal health care costs for Cong. Gabrielle Giffords

As you may recall a few months back a Congresswoman was shot while having a meet and greet event for her constituents. She took a bullet to the head and suffered some severe trauma.

Now that she is out of the hospital and moving toward rehabilitation, some news outlets have asked "just how much is this costing?"

http://scienceblogs.com/thepumphandl...ielle_giff.php

"The type of acute rehabilitation she receives - involving speech, occupational and physical rehab - costs about $8,000 a day, according to the Brain Injury Association of America. Post-acute rehabilitation can range in cost from $600 to $2,500 daily."

It's worth noting that some of these costs are picked up by a special federal government Workers Compensation program that protects federal workers in the event of on the job accidents, though the level of coverage varies and private sector employees probably do not get as much.

I guess the point I'm trying to make is a) don't even think about living in the US without health insurance and b) really read the fine print of what is and what is not covered.
Old Jun 17th 2011, 9:00 am
BE Enthusiast

rallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to all
Default Re: Some anecdotal health care costs for Cong. Gabrielle Giffords

A breakdown of the costs for justification of $8,000 a day would be interesting too - I doubt very much that the hospitals or clinics or whatever would want to do that though.
Old Jun 17th 2011, 11:19 am
BE Enthusiast

1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold

A family member had been in TIRR because of brain trauma. They are excellent. She is now in a skilled nursing facility as private pay. Insurance, in their wisdom, decided she had 'plateaued' and would no longer cover her. It is a crying shame as she had improved but now without all the specialized therapy she received at TIRR and another facility she has regressed. It is impossible to cover costs like that privately and insurance for the average person certainly has its limits.
Old Jun 17th 2011, 5:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Public servants get a pretty good insurance plan.

To put it into perspective my plan which is pretty good in itself if rather expensive had a yearly limit for physical therapy of I think $5000. Oddly enough last year when I hurt my back I was suddenly feeling better by the end of December just as my deductible was about to reset (apparently I wasn't the only one who recovered in December, January is a quiet month for PT).
Old Jun 17th 2011, 7:23 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
Public servants get a pretty good insurance plan.
Not if you're a teacher these days...
Old Jun 17th 2011, 8:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

HumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Not if you're a teacher these days...
The plans at Groton-Dunstable school aren't too shabby The misses is going to save us a ton of money next school year.
Old Jun 18th 2011, 7:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

HarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond repute

A work pal of mine had surgery involving anaesthetic.

He lives alone - had nobody to keep an eye on him for 24hrs after he was due to be discharged, so hospital wouldn't discharge him - had him stay an extra night - somebody looked in on him every few hrs... give him a few tablets etc.

The cost of that 1 night was just shy of $34,000

Then you get the near automatic 'discount' etc once the insurance company starts talking.... final bill a shade under $6K.

Aside from any debate about private vs public, US vs UK etc - $6K for a night's stay in a hospital is F@*king daylight robbery...

So make sure you have insurance!

And maybe write to your congressman/woman/person and ask them to inquire why (a) a hospital would instantly discount by about 75% - why not just quote the lower figure in the first place, cut down on some of that admin... and (b) $6K is justified for a very simple overnight stay...

And make sure you have insurance - did I say that before??!!!

Cheers

HTS
Old Jun 18th 2011, 11:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

CelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HarryTheSpider
A work pal of mine had surgery involving anaesthetic.

He lives alone - had nobody to keep an eye on him for 24hrs after he was due to be discharged, so hospital wouldn't discharge him - had him stay an extra night - somebody looked in on him every few hrs... give him a few tablets etc.

Then you get the near automatic 'discount' etc once the insurance company starts talking.... final bill a shade under $6K.

Aside from any debate about private vs public, US vs UK etc - $6K for a night's stay in a hospital is F@*king daylight robbery...

So make sure you have insurance!

And maybe write to your congressman/woman/person and ask them to inquire why (a) a hospital would instantly discount by about 75% - why not just quote the lower figure in the first place, cut down on some of that admin... and (b) $6K is justified for a very simple overnight stay...

And make sure you have insurance - did I say that before??!!!

Cheers

HTS
I am afraid that they are already bought and paid for.

http://www.opensecrets.org/industries/indus.php?ind=h01
Old Jun 19th 2011, 8:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Brit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HarryTheSpider

Welcome to America! I had 4 nights stay in hospital in 2009 for a total cost of $40,000. My bill was $5500 with the wonderful Cigna insurance *sarcastic *