Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Some advice please on Visa to America

Some advice please on Visa to America

Old Apr 15th 2013, 1:50 pm
Just Joined

helpneeded2013 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Some advice please on Visa to America

Hiya all,

Bit of a complex one so bear with me,

Me and my wife are planning on going to Florida Dec 2014 and I need some advice on Visa applications

My wife in 2011 suffered a severe attack and rape, this left her suffering from severe anxiety and depression and ultimately she suffered a breakdown - her counselling she has set up for by the police have stated this.

During this time she ended up drinking heavily and taking drugs to block everything out, she ended up leaving her job and ultimately ended up committing a fraud, this year she was convicted of fraud by misrepresentation - £300 fine

At the trial it was stated by both the police and the probation officers that it was a one off act from someone who was not in the right mindset at the time and previously she had been of excellent personal character and they felt there was very little chance of re-offending again. She basically just did not cope with what happened to her.

I understand that we will have to apply for a visa for her, can we do this now for next year or do we have to wait?

With the interview should we bring supporting statements from our counsillors etc and try and get one from the police at the time confirming the attack? - it was reported and still being investigated

Any advice is greatly appreciated. We are just trying to sort things out and America is her favourite destination - we have been many times before, she knows she did wrong but obviously there is severe mitigating circumstances here
Old Apr 15th 2013, 1:51 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Some advice please on Visa to America

Originally Posted by helpneeded2013
Hiya all,

Bit of a complex one so bear with me,

Me and my wife are planning on going to Florida Dec 2014 and I need some advice on Visa applications

My wife in 2011 suffered a severe attack and rape, this left her suffering from severe anxiety and depression and ultimately she suffered a breakdown - her counselling she has set up for by the police have stated this.

During this time she ended up drinking heavily and taking drugs to block everything out, she ended up leaving her job and ultimately ended up committing a fraud, this year she was convicted of fraud by misrepresentation - £300 fine

At the trial it was stated by both the police and the probation officers that it was a one off act from someone who was not in the right mindset at the time and previously she had been of excellent personal character and they felt there was very little chance of re-offending again. She basically just did not cope with what happened to her.

I understand that we will have to apply for a visa for her, can we do this now for next year or do we have to wait?

With the interview should we bring supporting statements from our counsillors etc and try and get one from the police at the time confirming the attack? - it was reported and still being investigated

Any advice is greatly appreciated. We are just trying to sort things out and America is her favourite destination - we have been many times before, she knows she did wrong but obviously there is severe mitigating circumstances here
Takes 6 months or so, best to apply asap.
Old Apr 16th 2013, 5:24 am
Just Joined

helpneeded2013 is an unknown quantity at this point

Many thanks will start process this week then,

Am I right in thinking we will have to go to have an interview?

Do you think its likely to be granted? At the end of the day if not we move on as the main thing is she is okay and recovered from it but it would be great if we could go still
Old Apr 16th 2013, 5:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

What visa are you intending to apply for?

Is one of you a US citizen, so spouse visa would be applicable?

You can't apply for a work visa - that has to be done by a prospective employer.
Old Apr 16th 2013, 9:32 am
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

First we need to know what type trip you are planning to Florida. Is it a holiday break? Or a more permanent move? Is it being sponsored by your employer?
Old Apr 16th 2013, 11:48 am
BE Enthusiast

DavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds to me like they are just wanting to go to the states in holiday and the OP it's asking advice about his wife's requirement for a visa due to CIMT

I could be wrong but the post is very vague.

I have no input to the OP. I have never required a visa as a tourist so not able to assist.
Old Apr 16th 2013, 2:19 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by helpneeded2013
Am I right in thinking we will have to go to have an interview?
Yes. For all visa applications to the USA, there must be a face-to-face interview conducted.

Rene