Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

So frustrated, need help with the waiver of the I 751

So frustrated, need help with the waiver of the I 751

Old Jan 18th 2011, 8:37 am
Just Joined

sobad is an unknown quantity at this point
Default So frustrated, need help with the waiver of the I 751

My 2 year green card will expire in July this year. However, my wife wants to get a divorce now with me. I really don't know what to do and feel so frustrated now about our relationship and my future Can anyone give me an idea what should I do now... Is that any chance that I can get a 10 year green card. Here's what I have:
Our relationship is 100% real
Got marriage in 8-2007
Got Green Card in 7-2009
I'm still a student so we don't have any child or much property.
Joint bank account, phone, car insurance, credit card, many picture from the beginning of our relationship, receipts of the hotel that we traveled together.
Thanks for any help
Old Jan 18th 2011, 12:09 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: So frustrated, need help with the waiver of the I 751

Originally Posted by sobad
Can anyone give me an idea what should I do now...
Yes, submit form I-751 within the 90 day window immediately prior to the expiry of your GC. Indicate that you're applying for a waiver of the joint filing requirement. If you're going to divorce, do it now. For this to work, you must either be in a viable marriage, or you must be divorced. There's no in-between. You will probably get invited for an interview... this is normal for I-751 waiver applications. You won't get a 10-year GC until the divorce is final. Once you are divorced, resubmit an I-751.

Is that any chance that I can get a 10 year green card.
Yes... quite a good chance actually. In my almost 14 years of following this forum, I'm not sure that we've had any reports of people not being successful.

Joint bank account, phone, car insurance, credit card, many picture from the beginning of our relationship, receipts of the hotel that we traveled together.
All good stuff! The requirement, as you know, is to demonstrate that you entered the marriage in good faith... and what happened afterwards is largely irrelevant.

Ian
Old Jan 20th 2011, 4:30 am
Just Joined

sobad is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks ian so much! As is know that I have to apply the i 751 around April, but I don't know how long the divorce will be completed. And if it take later than April then can I apply for the waiver because the divorce hasn't been completed at that time.
Is that ok that I apply and send the divorce proof later?
Old Jan 20th 2011, 5:03 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sobad
Thanks ian so much! As is know that I have to apply the i 751 around April, but I don't know how long the divorce will be completed. And if it take later than April then can I apply for the waiver because the divorce hasn't been completed at that time.
Is that ok that I apply and send the divorce proof later?
Yes, go ahead and file the I-751 with proof of your good faith marriage, and proof that divorce paperwork has been filed.

Rene