Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

..sitting comfortably..? UK to US - best route..

..sitting comfortably..? UK to US - best route..

Old Apr 3rd 2007, 2:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Tableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ..sitting comfortably..? UK to US - best route..

Originally Posted by Ray
And you are where !!!!!
In UK, currently making the difficult decision between working in US and greatly enhancing my career, staying in UK, or moving to Australia and downsizing.
Old Apr 3rd 2007, 2:27 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tableland
In UK, currently making the difficult decision between working in US and greatly enhancing my career, staying in UK, or moving to Australia and downsizing.
I though your aim was Canada ....
Old Apr 3rd 2007, 2:31 am
BE Forum Addict

Tableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
I though your aim was Canada ....
Four year wait for skilled worker, so only route would be employer-sponsor. I concluded that if I had to go employer-sponsor I might as well go to the US. Also US has much greater employment opportunity than the Great True North.

But like I said, I'm not even sure I want to pursue the career anymore. The other plan is to dump most of the mortgage and change down a few gears in Australia.

Either way, decision time is looming.
Old Apr 3rd 2007, 2:32 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

The Canadians will hate me for this but....

if you could emigrate to Canada and get citizenship there, a TN visa is easier to get than an H-1B.

Of course, the world knows this and Canada rightly dislikes being used as a skipping stone to get to the US.

How good is your French?
Old Apr 3rd 2007, 2:33 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tableland
Four year wait for skilled worker, so only route would be employer-sponsor. I concluded that if I had to go employer-sponsor I might as well go to the US. Also US has much greater employment opportunity than the Great True North.
Great White North....
Old Apr 3rd 2007, 2:53 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snowbunny
Great White North....
He must've been thinking "true north strong and free".

Ian
Old Apr 3rd 2007, 2:56 am
Lapine Member

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
He must've been thinking "true north strong and free".
If he already knows that much of O Canada then he's been studying !

I don't know the French version and the two versions aren't just translations of each other.
Old Apr 3rd 2007, 7:13 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by snowbunny
If he already knows that much of O Canada then he's been studying !

I don't know the French version and the two versions aren't just translations of each other.
Well you know the place - the 51st state. True North strong and free, etc.

I think it goes something like this:

O Canada! Our home and native land!
Five year wait for visas and then our plane can land.
With glowing hearts we see thee rise,
The True North strong and free!
From far and wide, O Canada,
Why won't you recognise my degree?
God keep our land glorious and free!
O Visa, we wait in line for thee.
O Visa, we wait in line for thee.
Old Apr 3rd 2007, 9:44 am
sweetiepaah

Originally Posted by popcorn
not sure if it helps, but did you say you were fluent in German? Just thinking that maybe you could look at using that aspect (maybe something in a Anglo/German Company) it would make you a more valuable asset to a company with the dual language - no?

I hadn't thought of that popcorn - have no qualifications in German, but am bilingual all the same. Will look into that side of things...thanks!

Old Apr 3rd 2007, 10:01 am
sweetiepaah

Originally Posted by ellapops
At the risk of some criticism and back lash, I will post this anyway! It may well be a long one!!!!!

Welcome to BE Sweetiepaah,

I, like you, want to relocate to the US for a better life for my family. I live in England and find the way of life depressing to be honest. Culturally I find that we are a very 'closed down' nation. Gone are the days of neighborhood community and helpful-ness. Now my mother wouldn't agree. In her generation (and the one preceding her) people are still a lot friendlier and kinder to each other and there is a sense of the old values. In my opinion and that is all this is, my british generation has lost respect for each other.

When I came back from being in the States I was filled with a new lust for life and restored faith in human kindness. I was given that freely when I spent time with Americans. I did try to pass this on here, smiling at strangers in the street, striking up conversations with people I met in a coffee shop but it wasn't welcome here, like it was in the US and I was met with scepticism and a "what do you want from me" attitude and thought I was a wierdo!!
Jules - I share your sentiments completely! When we went over with the family the first time, we were struck by how polite, how friendly and POSITIVE everyone was. (and if insincere - who cares? I'd rather have a welcoming 'hello' than a dour 'whit dae YOU want?' any day. It took about a day to rub off on my children, who were chatting away and making friends in no time. Bearing in mind that one of my children is a stroppy teen, this was no mean feat!

Originally Posted by ellapops
As for the issue of moving to the EU because it is easier. This is my take on it. Would someone who had the dream of becoming a Doctor settle for being a bin-man just because it's easier? or would you settle for a Skoda if you dreamt of owning a Bentley? Possibly but I doubt it. Our dreams and aspirations are what keep us going and what drives us on to succeed. Just because it is easier and less work doesn't necessarily mean it is the the right choice for all people.
This too, is so true, and the fact that I feel guilty for wanting to try for something out of the ordinary is a case in point. Whether we make it over there or not, we're going to try our damndest (how DO you spell that?). Whereabouts are you in the process - have you already applied or do you have other plans?

Ray's suggestion certainly rings of logic - it's a long route, but one we can do whilst we're putting our 'shit' together. Maybe find out what I need to do to be qualified as a lecturer and get on with it...

Lastly, thanks for sticking your neck out - much appreciated

Old Apr 3rd 2007, 2:14 pm
Who?

jumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sweetiepaah
Jules - I share your sentiments completely! When we went over with the family the first time, we were struck by how polite, how friendly and POSITIVE everyone was. (and if insincere - who cares? I'd rather have a welcoming 'hello' than a dour 'whit dae YOU want?' any day. It took about a day to rub off on my children, who were chatting away and making friends in no time. Bearing in mind that one of my children is a stroppy teen, this was no mean feat!
Where we lived in the UK (near Liverpool) everyone was very friendly. In the bus queue, in the shops, everywhere, strangers would speak.
Here in my small part of the US they are also very friendly in a very structured way. We all live in beautiful, leafy neighbourhoods, on large lots and we never see each other. No-one walks anywhere because you can't and there is no public transport so you don't bump into anyone in a casual way. Everything is by prior arrangement. Most days, if I didn't know otherwise, I would think I was the only person living on my street.
Living here is vastly different to coming over on holiday.

I have teenagers and they have made friends but their biggest issue is that everyone is soooo busy doing activities no-one just hangs out like they did in the UK. It seems as though every second of every day is planned like a military manoeuvre.
Someone has already mentioned healthcare and that is such a major issue I would look into that very carefully.
I also find the US extremely insular. Overseas news is only about Iraq and the middle east and the rest of the time it is all very local.

However,you may move here eventually and love it to bits and never look back...so Good Luck
Old Apr 4th 2007, 8:12 am
Forum Regular

ellapops is just really niceellapops is just really niceellapops is just really niceellapops is just really niceellapops is just really niceellapops is just really niceellapops is just really niceellapops is just really nice

This too, is so true, and the fact that I feel guilty for wanting to try for something out of the ordinary is a case in point. Whether we make it over there or not, we're going to try our damndest (how DO you spell that?). Whereabouts are you in the process - have you already applied or do you have other plans?

Ray's suggestion certainly rings of logic - it's a long route, but one we can do whilst we're putting our 'shit' together. Maybe find out what I need to do to be qualified as a lecturer and get on with it...

Lastly, thanks for sticking your neck out - much appreciated
Hey Sweetiepaah, No worries!

Well hubby and I are still in the research, research, research stage. When I bounced onto the forum I was all up for the E2 visa idea (advised by a lawyer that that was our best route!) full of high hopes for the 'golden ticket' Now listening to the guys on here, I think it will in fact be back to education, education, education. But hey I'm still young (ish) and have an over active brain so it's all good
Old Apr 4th 2007, 8:47 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

a. What are our chances of finding employment in these areas (web/project management), bearing in mind, we are not too fussy about where we land and willing to drop a few rungs?
b. If the E2 route is better, what opinions do you have of this route/franchises, etc I have read many of the postings about this and few are positive...
c. Enjoying a natter as I do, I would love to hear from those who have moved overseas to US as a result of networking. Where to start?

Any random thoughts comments would be much appreciated! Thanks in advance for taking the time.

S
Why Maine? good uni jobs, but web/project management, there's sod all out there, Portland perhaps, but it's crap....Business would hurt, property tax is pretty high in maine...and it's cold...pretty state though, but wouldn't bother with a B&B business...good state to retire too, crap state to work in, especially with kids, schools are crap in a lot of places, some real jems here and there, mostly in Portland, or private...good uni's though for nursing, engineering and liberal arts.

Best bet would be to get a job with an outfit in the US, work there for a year and get them to transfer you...E2 is crap, H1B is a bit crap, for the spouse at least.
Old Apr 4th 2007, 8:57 am
now I know my J,C,B's

Paul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
H1B is a bit crap, for the spouse at least.

no Bob, H1B is VERY crap for the spouse:curse:

well currently it is
Old Apr 12th 2007, 3:47 pm
Just Joined

GREG-A is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: ..sitting comfortably..? UK to US - best route..

Hi,
I'm new to this forum, but this thread caught my interest. My wife and I got our E-2 last year for a business we set up in the U.S. If you really want to move over on an E-2 it's not as hard as a lot people seem to make out. If you take out an equity release loan on your house of £100,000 that will give you $195000. This is fine for an E-2 as the funds are not secured on the business you will buy. However it will be a tight squeeze to both relocate and buy a business on that total budget... A viable business that nets $80-100,000 PA will cost you about $250000. ($60,000 net profit PA is about the minimum the U.S Embassy will consider as a viable business, but $60k isn't a lot for your family to live on..)
If you really want to bite the bullet, you are better off selling your house and taking approx. $400,000 (£200,000) to the 'States. Buy a solid business with say $250,000 and keep $150k for your first years' settling-in.
Your kids should goto college when they are old enough and apply for students' visas' in their own right once they are over 21.

All the very best!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.