Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

..sitting comfortably..? UK to US - best route..

..sitting comfortably..? UK to US - best route..

Old Apr 2nd 2007, 8:06 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ..sitting comfortably..? UK to US - best route..

Forget the loans..bad idea ..You need capital of your own ...
But I do see a way ..maybe ..

Your hub buys a business ..say $200k
and gets the E-2 you come as an accompanying spouse ..
not on his visa as such ..
This will entitle you to a work permit ... you use your
degree in psychology and qualifications in counselling to get a job
where they may be possibility of the company sponsoring you
for you own H visa ... you may be required to get a US qualification
but it will get you on the ladder for a green card ....

A bit more research needed ...

At least in Maine you wont be looking for a huge house with a pool ..
Old Apr 2nd 2007, 8:13 am
sweetiepaah

Originally Posted by ladyofthelake
Intra-company transfers have to be managerial executive positions and have to have worked for the company for at least one year before transfering. So that's only good if you want to move to Germany for a year beforehand.
Hi Ladyofthelake - hmmm...unfortunate and unlikely. It's great to find that out from you now though, before we discussed it with the children and caused teenage erruptions!

Old Apr 2nd 2007, 8:34 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sweetiepaah
I would be really interested to hear about your experience of moving over there and what difficulties you had with your teenage kids - this is a huge concern for me, I admit.

What made you decide to go over there? How did your kids adapt? (or not!)

Hope you don't mind all the questions!

S
We moved here because my husband was made an offer he couldn't refuse. It seemed like a golden package.

USCIS is a bloody nightmare. Read these forums and you'll see why.

Teenage years are the absolute worst to move to another country. Trust me on this. Two of our sons sort of adapted but none of them really settled. One has already left, so the family is now split.

Working in the US is not like working in Europe. Live to work, crap holidays, limited or no benefits (maternity pay - what's that?), being fired with zero notice, etc.

And don't get me started on healthcare... (What would you do about that, seeing you would be running your own business?)
Old Apr 2nd 2007, 9:09 am
sweetiepaah

Originally Posted by Ray
Forget the loans..bad idea ..You need capital of your own ...
But I do see a way ..maybe ..

Your hub buys a business ..say $200k
and gets the E-2 you come as an accompanying spouse ..
not on his visa as such ..
This will entitle you to a work permit ... you use your
degree in psychology and qualifications in counselling to get a job
where they may be possibility of the company sponsoring you
for you own H visa ... you may be required to get a US qualification
but it will get you on the ladder for a green card ....

A bit more research needed ...

At least in Maine you wont be looking for a huge house with a pool ..

Ray - you sure do live up to your name! We considered moving over as my partner as the E2 applicant, and I would apply for an EAD to work, but was not sure in what capacity I would be able to find it - I have yet to find out what a psychology degree is worth over there. I'm guessing, as it's the birthplace of NLP, CBT etc., that counsellors are as much ten-a-penny as web developers.

However, I had not considered that getting an H visa was a possible route to a greencard, which, if it went well, I would assume my spouse could apply for. This is all pie in the sky, I know, but it gives us something to work with.

As far as Maine concerned, we really are open to a great number of states. My partner worked in Louisianna, Iowa, Kentucky, and I would be happy just to have the possibility of getting over there, by whatever means we can. I hope that this might widen our chances from zero to slim

Next on the list is to find out what I could actually find work as - although, as I am not employed in any counselling capacity at the moment, this won't go in my favour.

Still, love a challenge

S

Old Apr 2nd 2007, 9:22 am
BE Enthusiast

farmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to behold

[
QUOTE=sweetiepaah;4593950]Ray - you sure do live up to your name! We considered moving over as my partner as the E2 applicant, and I would apply for an EAD to work, but was not sure in what capacity I would be able to find it - I have yet to find out what a psychology degree is worth over there. I'm guessing, as it's the birthplace of NLP, CBT etc., that counsellors are as much ten-a-penny as web developers.
S[/QUOTE]

Psychology degree - not worth much - ten a penny! I have a British B.A. Hons ...never used it.
To work in the professional field would require a MSW (Masters in Social Work)
or a Masters in counselling usually.
Old Apr 2nd 2007, 9:22 am
sweetiepaah

Elvira - I'm so sorry to hear that things have turned in that way. How is your son managing back home? That's the thing about families - there's only so much you can do as a mother, and the rest is down to dynamics, genetics and luck!

As I see it, my teenage daughter is already causing the blood vessels in my face to burst - so why not at least let her do it somewhere where I can go out at 2am in the morning and get myself a hot coffee and a donut and calm down?

I don't know what the future has in store for us as a family, but I know that many of the problems we are facing at the moment are to do with the calvinist attitude which can often pervade us Scots. We can be an insular, downtrodden, pessimistic nation and I just want my kids to grow up in a more positive, outward-looking environment.

I am sure that you will think me naive for looking through rose coloured spectacles, but surely it works for some people? As long as there is a small minority of people for whom it does work out, I'll keep working towards it.
...Until I am finally squashed by that black boot of immigration and my ass is kicked the hell back home

Old Apr 2nd 2007, 12:57 pm
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

Elvira - I'm so sorry to hear that things have turned in that way. How is your son managing back home? That's the thing about families - there's only so much you can do as a mother, and the rest is down to dynamics, genetics and luck!

As I see it, my teenage daughter is already causing the blood vessels in my face to burst - so why not at least let her do it somewhere where I can go out at 2am in the morning and get myself a hot coffee and a donut and calm down?

I don't know what the future has in store for us as a family, but I know that many of the problems we are facing at the moment are to do with the calvinist attitude which can often pervade us Scots. We can be an insular, downtrodden, pessimistic nation and I just want my kids to grow up in a more positive, outward-looking environment.

I am sure that you will think me naive for looking through rose coloured spectacles, but surely it works for some people? As long as there is a small minority of people for whom it does work out, I'll keep working towards it.
...Until I am finally squashed by that black boot of immigration and my ass is kicked the hell back home
Hold on a second. Your wording, that you've used twice now, implies that you plan on coming over here and they trying to find a way to stay. Please tell me this isn't so. Do you really have the intention of brining your family over and then letting immigration kick you back out?

And I'll spare you my derision of "I just want my kids to grow up in a more positive, outward-looking environment." except to say that that's just naive on the silliest level. The US is one of the most insular countries on the planet, and almost everything you claim to want to escape you'll get double over here.
Old Apr 2nd 2007, 2:40 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dbj1000
Hold on a second. Your wording, that you've used twice now, implies that you plan on coming over here and they trying to find a way to stay. Please tell me this isn't so. Do you really have the intention of brining your family over and then letting immigration kick you back out?

And I'll spare you my derision of "I just want my kids to grow up in a more positive, outward-looking environment." except to say that that's just naive on the silliest level. The US is one of the most insular countries on the planet, and almost everything you claim to want to escape you'll get double over here.
I did not read it quite that way, but certainly not a good idea.
Old Apr 2nd 2007, 7:22 pm
sweetiepaah

Originally Posted by dbj1000

dbj - I most certainly do not have the intention of moving over here first and trying to find a way to stay. I was talking about the E2 criteria which are a running assessment of the success of your business. Please accept my apologies if I led you to think otherwise.

Your derision of my personal feelings and naivete is understood but ill-placed. Between my partner and I (my partner worked in several states in America for years), we have a good idea of the differences between the Scottish mentality and the American mentality. Of course, everyone's viewpoint is skewed by their own experiences, but I have to say that the hard work ethic, can do attitude and outward facing approach is difficult to instil in an environment which is largely public sector, inward facing and 'computer says no' in it's attitude.

Why do so many people want to move out of the UK and into US/CA/AUS? I'm sure there will be many reasons between them, but surely a hope for a better existence is a common thread that motivates them? Are they all naive?

Old Apr 3rd 2007, 12:34 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Are they all naive?
Not all .........but a lot certainly are !!
Old Apr 3rd 2007, 12:46 am
sweetiepaah

Originally Posted by Ray
Not all .........but a lot certainly are !!
lol - I imagine there's quite a dance between the pessimism in giving up at the first hurdle and being naive enough to have an optimistic outlook to keep you going!

Still, until I find out definitively whether or not I should apply, I'll keep a wee smile on my face

Old Apr 3rd 2007, 1:47 am
Just Joined

popcorn is on a distinguished road

not sure if it helps, but did you say you were fluent in German? Just thinking that maybe you could look at using that aspect (maybe something in a Anglo/German Company) it would make you a more valuable asset to a company with the dual language - no?
Old Apr 3rd 2007, 1:47 am
Forum Regular

ellapops is just really niceellapops is just really niceellapops is just really niceellapops is just really niceellapops is just really niceellapops is just really niceellapops is just really niceellapops is just really nice

At the risk of some criticism and back lash, I will post this anyway! It may well be a long one!!!!!

Welcome to BE Sweetiepaah,

I, like you, want to relocate to the US for a better life for my family. I live in England and find the way of life depressing to be honest. Culturally I find that we are a very 'closed down' nation. Gone are the days of neighborhood community and helpful-ness. Now my mother wouldn't agree. In her generation (and the one preceding her) people are still a lot friendlier and kinder to each other and there is a sense of the old values. In my opinion and that is all this is, my british generation has lost respect for each other.

When I came back from being in the States I was filled with a new lust for life and restored faith in human kindness. I was given that freely when I spent time with Americans. I did try to pass this on here, smiling at strangers in the street, striking up conversations with people I met in a coffee shop but it wasn't welcome here, like it was in the US and I was met with scepticism and a "what do you want from me" attitude and thought I was a wierdo!!

As for the issue of moving to the EU because it is easier. This is my take on it. Would someone who had the dream of becoming a Doctor settle for being a bin-man just because it's easier? or would you settle for a Skoda if you dreamt of owning a Bentley? Possibly but I doubt it. Our dreams and aspirations are what keep us going and what drives us on to succeed. Just because it is easier and less work doesn't necessarily mean it is the the right choice for all people.

Anyway enough about ME and back to YOU.

I think Rays idea is a top one because if you were to go straight for an H1-B (which would be unlikely with your qualifications) then your new hubby (get that wedding sorted) will be on an H4 and not able to work until and if you get a GC which could be some years from now. Perhaps you could do as Ray said (new hubby E2) and you could go for an F1 student, do another year or so training in the US to bump up your qualifications and then find an employer to sponsor you and get them to apply for an H1-B for you. Of course this all costs money and depends on how soon you are looking to make the move.

Personally I would suggest yes, follow your dreams but research, research, research and then double check it, twice!! Don't make any rash moves and who knows, hopefully you and your family will be one of the success stories.

Good luck

Jules (the forever optimist!)
Old Apr 3rd 2007, 2:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Tableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond repute

The US is somewhere you end up through work opportunities or marriage. It's a lot easier to plan on Canada or Australia. At least these places can give you permanent residence rights from the start. IMO, the love of the US is often based on the heavy load of American culture which is exported to Britain every day in films and music and TV and sitcoms. People build a picture of the US from this material and a holiday here or there - even living there for a while on a temporary basis. But life in the old republic is quite distinct from life in other English-speaking countries (Canada not so much, although there are important differences here, not least healthcare). A cursory glance at this forum shows you that - there is a lot of good information here about real life in the US. Invaluable.

Sometimes I don't understand why people put themselves through so much bureacratic misery to live in the US - especially something as poor as the E2, and I mean this respectfully. Don't geddit.

Still, good luck to anyone heading down this road.

Last edited by Tableland; Apr 3rd 2007 at 2:12 am.
Old Apr 3rd 2007, 2:19 am
Ray

Originally Posted by tableland
The US is somewhere you end up through work opportunities or marriage. It's a lot easier to plan on Canada or Australia. .
And you are where !!!!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.