Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Siblings of permanent residents, any benifits?

Siblings of permanent residents, any benifits?

Old May 23rd 2009, 10:31 pm
Just Joined

LondonLou is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Siblings of permanent residents, any benifits?

Hi, I have been living in the U.S. for 6 years. I married an American and have a green card as a permanent resident. I am eligible for citizenship and plan to do the exam by the end of year. The visa inquiry is not for me but for my sister who is in England. She has been working as a registered child minder for 6 years. She has recently asked me what I thought about her coming out to live with me and possibly, finding a job as a nanny or in the childcare profession. I have done a little research and am reading up a bit on B1 an J1 visas through au pair and nanny web sites but I was wondering if any one knew if there was any benefit to her having me as a legal resident already in the country?
Old May 23rd 2009, 10:38 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Siblings of permanent residents, any benifits?

None, in fact it might be a detriment since she could be thought have immigration intent as she has a close relative who is living legally in the US. As a USC you can petition for her but it would be years before her visa becomes current.

Originally Posted by LondonLou
Hi, I have been living in the U.S. for 6 years. I married an American and have a green card as a permanent resident. I am eligible for citizenship and plan to do the exam by the end of year. The visa inquiry is not for me but for my sister who is in England. She has been working as a registered child minder for 6 years. She has recently asked me what I thought about her coming out to live with me and possibly, finding a job as a nanny or in the childcare profession. I have done a little research and am reading up a bit on B1 an J1 visas through au pair and nanny web sites but I was wondering if any one knew if there was any benefit to her having me as a legal resident already in the country?
Old May 23rd 2009, 10:58 pm
crg
American Expat

crg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Siblings of permanent residents, any benifits?

Originally Posted by LondonLou
A B-1 can only nanny for people who are visiting the US, and not for someone who lives in the US. The J-1 is commonly used for short term au pair work.