Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Should maintain F-1 status after I-485?

Should maintain F-1 status after I-485?

Old Jan 10th 2004, 6:10 am
Forum Regular

syedraza70 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Should maintain F-1 status after I-485?

hi all,

i filied I-485 based on marriage. My previous or current you can say cuz i am still studying is F-1. The quesiton is do i have to maintain my F-1 status after i filed I-485? if yes , then is there any link or somehting that i can show to my university because i have a workpermit and i want to work but my university says

If i take less then 12 hrs they will report me to INS that i am not maintaining my status.

the International student co-ordinator said he can change the rules for me if i show him any letter giving informaiton about this quesiton. My AOS interview was done in 2002 and INS told me that currently my name is gone for security check so i am waiting.

any comments
regards,
Old Jan 15th 2004, 12:28 am
Forum Regular

SanBernardino is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Should maintain F-1 status after I-485?

My husband and I were in your situation and had the same question. We chose to maintain his status until he graduated, at which point it was no longer possible. Once you use your advanced parole or marriage-based EAD, it appears that F-1 status ends. I guess this makes sense since with advanced parole you re-enter in another status and with the EAD you are violating F-1 work restrictions.

The choice about whether to give up the AOS benefits (EAD, AP) in order to maintain F-1 status is up to you. Here is a thread discussing the pros, cons, etc.:
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...hreadid=196181
Old Jan 15th 2004, 12:59 am
Forum Regular

Originally posted by syedraza70
If i take less then 12 hrs they will report me to INS that i am not maintaining my status.
It seems to me that there shouldn't arise a situation where they are reporting you for being out of status. If you decide not to maintain your F-1 status, you should bring them your I-484 filing receipt, marriage certificate, and other proof of pending permanent residency, for them to copy. They should then update your status in their system from F-1 to pending permaent resident or adjustment applicant or whatever they want to call it. If they have no experience with this, ask them to imagine you were not previously a student, and you were admitted to the university for the first time as a pending permanent resident. What status would they give you? THAT is the status they should put you in IF you choose not to maintain your F-1 status.
Old Jan 15th 2004, 1:08 am
Forum Regular

syedraza70 is an unknown quantity at this point

thanks a lot , the information you gave me really helped me.

regards,

syed
Old Jan 15th 2004, 5:17 am
Forum Regular

Originally posted by SanBernardino
If they have no experience with this, ask them to imagine you were not previously a student, and you were admitted to the university for the first time as a pending permanent resident.
I just read another thread, where at the very end Folinsky suggests that perhaps the SEVIS system may have affected the ability of non F1 foreigners to take classes. I do not get this at all, but it could be relevant to you. See:
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...hreadid=201138