Should I be worried?

Old Jun 8th 2011, 10:13 pm
Just Joined

Gleek is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Should I be worried?

Hi all,

I had an immigrant visa interview in London on May 19th. I have a recent (2009) DUI and was told that was what was holding up the medical results. (As part of the medical I was referred to a psychiatrist and his report wasn't in by the time of the interview.) The CO said that the report would be in the following week and "unless there was a finding of ineligibility" they would issue the visa then. I was told I wouldn't hear from the Embassy again unless there was a problem. I left my passport and paid the courier fee. Now, almost three weeks later, I have neither heard from the Embassy or received the visa by courier.

Should I be worried?
Old Jun 8th 2011, 11:23 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Should I be worried?

Originally Posted by Gleek
Should I be worried?
I suggest that as long as they have your passport, it a more positive sign than negative. It could take 8-10 weeks before you hear something.

Ian
Old Jun 8th 2011, 11:43 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
I suggest that as long as they have your passport, it a more positive sign than negative. It could take 8-10 weeks before you hear something.

Ian

I know the medical report was in to the Embassy on May 25th. What could take 8-10 weeks at this stage???
Old Jun 8th 2011, 11:44 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

I know the medical report was in to the Embassy on May 25th. What could take 8-10 weeks at this stage???
Out of idle curiosity -- have you seen the report? What does it say.
Old Jun 8th 2011, 11:57 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

What could take 8-10 weeks at this stage???
Forgive me... but it might take that long for someone to determine whether or not you're eligible for a visa! Once a decision is made, I expect things will speed up considerably.

Ian
Old Jun 9th 2011, 12:02 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by S Folinsky
Out of idle curiosity -- have you seen the report? What does it say.
It says that I have had a problem with alcoholism which has been "in remission" for "over a year" and the risk of relapse is "medium".

I think that's a bit borderline on the question of eligibility?
Old Jun 9th 2011, 2:02 am
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

It says that I have had a problem with alcoholism which has been "in remission" for "over a year" and the risk of relapse is "medium".

It is what it is and there is really no point in any of us speculating what might happen - all that matters to you is what actually happens in your specific case and the only thing that you can do at this stage is to wait and see what happens.
Old Jun 9th 2011, 11:21 am
crg
American Expat

crg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond repute

I suspect that it will come down as to whether or not the doctor put the words "sustained, full remission" in their report.

Read this:

http://travel.state.gov/pdf/Revised%...20June2010.pdf

"CHANGES TO THE DEFINITION AND DETERMINATION OF REMISSION
‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐� �‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐� ��‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐ ‐‐‐‐‐‐
4. Remission must be considered in two contexts: (1) general mental disorders and (2) substance‐related disorders.
The current version of the DSM defines sustained, full remission as a period of at least 12 months during which no substance use or mental disorder‐associated behaviors have occurred. These new technical instructions reflect the current medical knowledge and standards of the DSM. Panel physicians must use their clinical judgment in determining if 12 months is an acceptable period of time for the individual applicant to demonstrate sustained, full remission. This time period must be based on the reliability of the evidence provided, such as clinical reports of participation in a drug treatment program."
Old Jun 9th 2011, 12:16 pm
Account Closed

Alas, you're not the one who gets to make that determination.

Ian
Old Jun 9th 2011, 1:10 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Alas, you're not the one who gets to make that determination.

Ian

I know it.

I swear, this whole process is enough to drive you to drink!
Old Jun 9th 2011, 1:12 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by crg
I suspect that it will come down as to whether or not the doctor put the words "sustained, full remission" in their report.

Read this:

http://travel.state.gov/pdf/Revised%...20June2010.pdf

"CHANGES TO THE DEFINITION AND DETERMINATION OF REMISSION
‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐� �‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐� ��‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐ ‐‐‐‐‐‐
4. Remission must be considered in two contexts: (1) general mental disorders and (2) substance‐related disorders.
The current version of the DSM defines sustained, full remission as a period of at least 12 months during which no substance use or mental disorder‐associated behaviors have occurred. These new technical instructions reflect the current medical knowledge and standards of the DSM. Panel physicians must use their clinical judgment in determining if 12 months is an acceptable period of time for the individual applicant to demonstrate sustained, full remission. This time period must be based on the reliability of the evidence provided, such as clinical reports of participation in a drug treatment program."
Thanks for the link, this is interesting.
Old Jun 9th 2011, 6:38 pm
Forum Regular

andy1 is just really niceandy1 is just really niceandy1 is just really niceandy1 is just really niceandy1 is just really niceandy1 is just really niceandy1 is just really niceandy1 is just really niceandy1 is just really niceandy1 is just really niceandy1 is just really nice

Its a CIMT now apparently , how many times were you over the limit ? and was it on your police report ? you might have to do a waiver.
Old Jun 9th 2011, 6:44 pm
Forum Regular

andy1 is just really niceandy1 is just really niceandy1 is just really niceandy1 is just really niceandy1 is just really niceandy1 is just really niceandy1 is just really niceandy1 is just really niceandy1 is just really niceandy1 is just really niceandy1 is just really nice

I correct myself ! if you had the interview and paid your courier fee , await your visa ! they would not have approved if there was an issue .Did you pay for express delivery ? mine came within 3 days , sounds iffy , but im sure if there was an issue you would have been denied and asked to submit a waiver for the drink driving .
Old Jun 9th 2011, 7:28 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by andy1
I correct myself ! if you had the interview and paid your courier fee , await your visa ! they would not have approved if there was an issue .Did you pay for express delivery ? mine came within 3 days , sounds iffy , but im sure if there was an issue you would have been denied and asked to submit a waiver for the drink driving .
From what I can tell from the OP's first post, the visa is not actually approved yet. Approval is pending the medical report. Just because he paid the courier does not mean the visa is approved yet.

The medical was received at the consulate, but perhaps it hasn't yet gotten to the correct person to review it and approve it. Or, perhaps it's with the correct person but it's still sitting on their desk. Or, they are doing more investigation before approving things.

Perhaps if there was an issue on the day of the interview, he would have been denied. But the case is still pending the results of that medical report, so the issue has not been cleared up yet. The outcome could go either way, still.

Rene
Old Jun 9th 2011, 8:37 pm
Forum Regular

Medical is done prior to interview,weeks prior , if theres an issue , there is no interview , he should be fine i would have thought , if anything arises during the interview you are either denied or sent to the waiver adjudicator for your next step . Thats what happened to me in London anyway .

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.