Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Should I say I'm visiting Girlfriend at border control?

Should I say I'm visiting Girlfriend at border control?

Old Jun 10th 2015, 11:26 pm
Account Closed

materialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Should I say I'm visiting Girlfriend at border control?

Originally Posted by Dorothy
My apologies. I re-read the ESTA form and it only asks about drugs.
It also asks about crimes involving moral turpitude but, as the OP mentioned, this doesn't concern drink driving.
Old Jun 11th 2015, 12:54 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tintin24
Just from reading things like people saying I will definitely be questioned farther if I say I'm coming to see my girlfriend, where as I know this isn't true from last time...
And yet, you seem to give credence to these people... as though they're somehow more savvy about this than you!

... just worry like I might have got a easy going border control person last time, next time they might be harder on me?
That's true every time you ask permission to enter the US. It's certainly not new... and the only thing people should be saying to you is: tell the truth - as Orangepants already noted.

Ian
Old Jun 11th 2015, 2:00 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Orangepants
Be consistent. Perhaps your last response was noted on your record. Are you planning to stay? No? Then just tell the truth.
This. Personally I didn't say "girlfriend", but others report not having a problem if they do say girlfriend/ boyfriend. That said, consistency is most important.
Old Jun 11th 2015, 12:51 pm
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

Just worrying, I'm a worrier, I over worry about everything, especially anything that will stand in the way of me seeing my girlfriend.
Just from reading things like people saying I will definitely be questioned farther if I say I'm coming to see my girlfriend, where as I know this isn't true from last time, just worry like I might have got a easy going border control person last time, next time they might be harder on me?
Before I got my L1 and GC, I used VW I would guess maybe 75+ times over 10 years. Back in 2001-2002 it was to visit a girlfriend since that can mean more than 1 thing I would not worry as much about what word you use as you pattern of travel. I never had an issue visiting my girlfriend, but most of my trips were for the weekend (2 nights), with a couple of week long holidays a year. She also came to Europe so that meant I needed to make less trips.

Whatever I said the officer would have drawn their own conclusion from the college dorm in the address section of my customs form....

If your travel pattern is that of a temporary visitor you are most likely to be OK. If you come for very long trips (more than say 2 weeks), especially back to back you are more likely to get a lot more questions / and possibly refused (sent home) if you are unlucky. Put yourself in the officers shoes, they don't get 3 months holiday a year, they assume a max of 5 to 6 weeks a year for Europeans, so if your trips total more than that in a year it would be something logical for them to question you about.

Not related to a girlfriend but I will share my only experience of secondary:

I have only been sent to secondary 1 time, that was when I arrived in Newark, I was first of the plane and got to the immigration hall well before anyone else, 2 agents were talking about a TV show at 1 booth and seemed put out that they needed to deal with me. My agents first question was "why are you here so quick" we went back and forth about tail winds and my seating position on the plane, then she asked if I was in a rush, to which I responded yes, because I was on a business trip (and the early arrival would let me make a meeting). She sent me to secondary saying I needed a visa to attend a meeting. I was seen immediately, the second officer looked at everything, asked me the same questions and then he said "I don't know why she sent you here" stamped my passport and said he would make a note on the system so I did not have that problem again. I have no idea if he did anything or not.

Last edited by tht; Jun 11th 2015 at 12:54 pm.
Old Jun 11th 2015, 1:09 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tht
..... She sent me to secondary saying I needed a visa to attend a meeting. .....
Unfortunately it seems all too common that the front line immigration officers are ignorant of the basic components of US immigration law, ..... or as Ian often says, they are just lying, though for what purpose it is hard to fathom. My first experience of US immigration was being significantly mislead, or lied to: I was told I could not marry while in the US while on the VWP.
Old Jun 11th 2015, 3:17 pm
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Unfortunately it seems all too common that the front line immigration officers are ignorant of the basic components of US immigration law, ..... or as Ian often says, they are just lying, though for what purpose it is hard to fathom. My first experience of US immigration was being significantly mislead, or lied to: I was told I could not marry while in the US while on the VWP.
yes, but sometimes it's not all their fault... I do remember one time where speaking English and not American English resulted in a funny exchange, landing post a 8 hour TATL drinking session, when asked the purpose of my visit I answered "to party", the guy just looked at me with a disapproving look, and said nothing till I said "Pleasure, to attend a hallowed party" then he asked how long I would stay. After I said 2 days he stamped my passport and sent me on my way. Despite all the advice, I have had some pretty funny conversations with them. The most frequent question is probably what soccer team I support, but have had others about my mothers home cooking etc... I got Global Entry as soon as I got my GC, so now that whole part of the process goes away unless I am with my wife.
Old Jun 11th 2015, 3:35 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

A DUI isn't a crime involving moral turpitude according to US law
Moral turpitude is a legal concept in the United States and some other countries that refers to "conduct that is considered contrary to community standards of justice, honesty or good morals."

Impaired Driving: Get the Facts | Motor Vehicle Safety | CDC Injury Center

Perhaps it is time it was!
Old Jun 11th 2015, 3:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Orangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
This. Personally I didn't say "girlfriend", but others report not having a problem if they do say girlfriend/ boyfriend. That said, consistency is most important.
I personally never said "boyfriend" as I thought that term a little juvenile as I was in late 20s. So I said partner, not understanding that in the US they take that to mean a same sex partner. Once the officer said something along the lines of " now I wont be able to get that picture of you and your girlfriend out of my head all day!"
Old Jun 11th 2015, 6:55 pm
Banned

az2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond repute

I am currently in the USA for the 4th time in just under 6 months on a B2 and have said visiting girlfriend at the POE every time. No problems, only once they asked a couple of follow up questions, where did we meet and when.
Old Jun 11th 2015, 7:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

caleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond repute

A DUI isn't a crime involving moral turpitude according to US law, so yes it is true.
Love it when a noob puts people in their place! Good work!
Old Jul 21st 2015, 12:58 pm
Just Joined

Racheld26 is an unknown quantity at this point

Did you make the visit to see your girlfriend in the end?
Old Jul 21st 2015, 1:03 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Racheld26
Did you make the visit to see your girlfriend in the end?
There's a handy "quote" button at the bottom right of each post. If you use it, people will have a much better idea of who it is you're actually talking or responding to!

Ian
Old Sep 25th 2015, 8:07 pm
Just Joined

Racheld26 is an unknown quantity at this point

Just worrying, I'm a worrier, I over worry about everything, especially anything that will stand in the way of me seeing my girlfriend.
Just from reading things like people saying I will definitely be questioned farther if I say I'm coming to see my girlfriend, where as I know this isn't true from last time, just worry like I might have got a easy going border control person last time, next time they might be harder on me?
Hey I'm just curious how often you travel to the States? I'm always concerned about being turned away too. It seems ridiculous that I spend days obsessing over it when i have no genuine reason to do so, but thats me an over thinker and worrier!
Old Sep 25th 2015, 9:05 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Racheld26
It seems ridiculous that I spend days obsessing over it when i have no genuine reason to do so...
Indeed... 99% of people have no problems at all, and yet - for some unfathomable reason - many (otherwise) sensible people worry that they'll fall into the 1% of folks who have issues. It's completely unwarranted.

Ian
Old Sep 25th 2015, 10:11 pm

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Indeed... 99% of people have no problems at all, and yet - for some unfathomable reason - many (otherwise) sensible people worry that they'll fall into the 1% of folks who have issues. It's completely unwarranted.

Ian
Ian, I think you're exaggerating. 1% would mean around two people on every plane into the US, (assuming a 50:50 mix of passengers US citizens and foreigners) were going to have problems sufficient to see them turned back by immigration, and I suspect that is at least an order of magnitude overstated. I sincerely doubt even one person in one thousand from the UK/EU is turned away by US immigration.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.