Short H1B converting to GC

Old Aug 18th 2002, 12:04 am
Mal

Default Short H1B converting to GC

Has anyone done anything similar to this:

I will soon have to leave the country because my six years on H1B status will be
up, and the Labor Certification to support a work-based Green Card will not be
approved in time.

My lawyer is proposing that I leave the country one or two months before the six
years is up, wait for the LC to be approved, then apply for a short H1B visa for the
one or two months, and submit the GC application I-140 and I-485 while back in the
US, because that is faster than doing the whole GC process from overseas.

If I declare my intentions when I apply for the short H1B, will the consulate
issue the visa?

If I hide my intentions and get a GC once in the US on the H1B, when I next try to
reenter will the State Department consider I committed visa fraud on the short H1B?

-- Mal

Old Aug 20th 2002, 12:02 am
Sylvia Ottemoeller

Default Re: Short H1B converting to GC

Mal wrote:

> Has anyone done anything similar to this:
    > I will soon have to leave the country because my six years on H1B status will be
    > up, and the Labor Certification to support a work-based Green Card will not be
    > approved in time.
    > My lawyer is proposing that I leave the country one or two months before the six
    > years is up, wait for the LC to be approved, then apply for a short H1B visa for
    > the one or two months, and submit the GC application I-140 and I-485 while back in
    > the US, because that is faster than doing the whole GC process from overseas.
    > If I declare my intentions when I apply for the short H1B, will the consulate issue
    > the visa?

The consulate will not have any basis on which to deny the H-1B -- that is, any
basis related to intention to apply for permanent resident status. You are
allowed to hold H-1B status and to intend to become a U.S. permanent resident.
It's in the law.

> If I hide my intentions and get a GC once in the US on the H1B, when I next try to
    > reenter will the State Department consider I committed visa fraud on the short H1B?

If you lie on the H-1B application form, you are subject to serious penalties. It is
easy for a consular officer to find out through various databases whether a labor
cert application or an I-140 has been filed on your behalf. If you tell the truth,
there is no negative effect.

I think your attorney has a clever idea. I have thought of it before, but have never
known of anyone trying it. You would have to get expedited processing of your
employment authorization document, somehow, because those take 3 months or more from
filing to approval in many places, and 2 months of H-1B status would not authorize
you all the way.