Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Serious illness and bringing family over

Serious illness and bringing family over

Old Sep 19th 2007, 7:23 am
Forum Regular

CAsunlover has a brilliant futureCAsunlover has a brilliant futureCAsunlover has a brilliant futureCAsunlover has a brilliant futureCAsunlover has a brilliant futureCAsunlover has a brilliant future
Question Serious illness and bringing family over

Hi,

Thank you in advance for reading. Maybe I am not posting in the right area please forgive me.

Recently I have been diagnosed with cancer and it's not looking good right now. We were planning to bring my son over.

I have a greencard, my son is an US citizen. My husband was getting ready to apply for my son's greencard, he is 19 years old and not married. We were planning to file through the consulate of the country my son is living. No problems there..

But now that I am facing this, plans have changed a bit, what can I do to bring him here sooner? Not that I want to have special treatment, but honestly it would help us a lot when he would be here, he could be helping my husband in our business when I am going through my treatments and what not more.

I was even thinking about getting him back on a 6 month visa, I would love to have him here close now that I'm sick.

Any pointers are welcome, thank you once again!
Old Sep 19th 2007, 7:30 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Serious illness and bringing family over

Originally Posted by CAsunlover
I have a greencard, my son is an US citizen.
I think you meant here that your husband is a USC, not your son.

I was even thinking about getting him back on a 6 month visa, I would love to have him here close now that I'm sick.
I'm not knowledgeable about stepchildren and immigration, but just wanted you to know that he can still visit if he has a tourist visa, while his immigration paperwork is being processed. That is, unless he's got issues such as previous overstays or arrests.

Sorry to hear of your illness...I wish you all the best.

Rene
Old Sep 19th 2007, 7:35 am
Forum Regular

CAsunlover has a brilliant futureCAsunlover has a brilliant futureCAsunlover has a brilliant futureCAsunlover has a brilliant futureCAsunlover has a brilliant futureCAsunlover has a brilliant future

Thanks Renee,

Yes its my husband that is the US citizen...my head is a bit full lately

Okay so you are saying that, if we would process his papers through the consulate, he would still be allowed to come here???

That would really be helpfull!!
Old Sep 19th 2007, 7:37 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Noorah101
I think you meant here that your husband is a USC, not your son.

I'm not knowledgeable about stepchildren and immigration, but just wanted you to know that he can still visit if he has a tourist visa, while his immigration paperwork is being processed. That is, unless he's got issues such as previous overstays or arrests.

Sorry to hear of your illness...I wish you all the best.

Rene

Oh and no he has no arrests or issues with overstays...He is in fact a security officer right now!
Old Sep 19th 2007, 7:41 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Okay so you are saying that, if we would process his papers through the consulate, he would still be allowed to come here???

That would really be helpfull!!
Yes, he would be allowed to visit as a tourist while his immigration is being processed. Of course he'd have to bring proof of his ties to his home country in case they ask at the POE - it's highly unusual for anyone to be able to come and stay 6 whole months, as far as getting time off, etc. He'd have to show that he has property back home, mortgage payment, rent, etc. A letter from his employer stating when he's due back at work would help. That sort of thing.

It's up the POE officer whether to let him in on his tourist visa or not, and for how long.

Rene
Old Sep 19th 2007, 7:48 am
Forum Regular

He does not really has that strong ties, he does have work, but he lives with his dad and stepmother. So that can be a bit tricky, now would a letter with statements from my doctor help him to make sure he can come and stay in the meanwhile???

Believe it or not, but besides me and my husband we have no relatives that can help us out, I have two little ones that I need to take care off and our business. All my family lives overseas.

It's up the POE officer whether to let him in on his tourist visa or not, and for how long.

I believe the 6 mo visa needs to be requested through the consulate as well, but maybe I am wrong?

Last edited by CAsunlover; Sep 19th 2007 at 7:51 am.
Old Sep 19th 2007, 7:51 am

He does not really has that strong ties, he does have work, but he lives with his dad and stepmother. So that can be a bit tricky, now would a letter with statements from my doctor help him to make sure he can come and stay in the meanwhile???
I'm not sure. He just has to show the officer at the POE that he does not intend to immigrate here on that tourist visit. I don't think showing that he has a mother who is ill will help his case NOT to stay in the USA...do you see what I mean?

I'm sorry you're having to go through this alone.

Rene
Old Sep 19th 2007, 3:25 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

I believe the 6 mo visa needs to be requested through the consulate as well, but maybe I am wrong?
Too stay 6 months he will need a B-2 visa
as opposed to the visa waiver for a 90 stay

The B-2 has to be applied for at the US consulate
in his country ..

Saying he is coming to look after his mother could
actually be a bad idea ..If they decide he would be taking a
nursing job from a US citizen it may be a reason to refuse ..
Old Sep 19th 2007, 3:33 pm
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice

The OP is in CA. Cant her son come over on the 90 day VWP and then at the end sod off to Mexico for the weekend and then come back into the US for another 90dayer?
Old Sep 19th 2007, 3:35 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rushman
The OP is in CA. Cant her son come over on the 90 day VWP and then at the end sod off to Mexico for the weekend and then come back into the US for another 90dayer?
Those days are pretty much over
Old Sep 19th 2007, 3:47 pm
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice

Originally Posted by Ray
Those days are pretty much over
I know but say he went for the weekend of the 20th and had an unrestricted/open ticket to fly back to the UK on the 29th. The border USCIS would let him back in with a fresh stamp in the passport (because hes flying home from the US in a few days time)and another 90days waiver. The fact that between coming back over the border into the US and getting on the plane he decided to "legally" stay another 90 days is a "get out" of sorts.
Old Sep 19th 2007, 4:19 pm
Ray

I know but say he went for the weekend of the 20th and had an unrestricted/open ticket to fly back to the UK on the 29th. The border USCIS would let him back in with a fresh stamp in the passport (because hes flying home from the US in a few days time)and another 90days waiver. The fact that between coming back over the border into the US and getting on the plane he decided to "legally" stay another 90 days is a "get out" of sorts.
But you can't bank on that ..reasonable is not in the USCIS book...
Old Sep 19th 2007, 4:29 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

I have a greencard, my son is an US citizen. My husband was getting ready to apply for my son's greencard, he is 19 years old and not married. We were planning to file through the consulate of the country my son is living. No problems there..
Is your husband resident in the US (with you)? Or in another country?

Is it at all possible for your son to begin attending university here?
Old Sep 19th 2007, 4:37 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Ray
But you can't bank on that ..reasonable is not in the USCIS book...
Again I agree. But I'd try it.
Old Sep 19th 2007, 4:47 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Again I agree. But I'd try it.
Might get lucky, chances are you would not, but jumping ahead.

I would like my 18 year old son to come to live with us in the USA. I'm having some health issues and need treatment for that, my son will take over my work in our store and will be living with us.
That was a few months ago.

Not sure what his chances of a B would be, no mention of his citizenship, I will assume v low. But a B would not allow him to do the above.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.