Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Selective Services question at Citizenship interview

Selective Services question at Citizenship interview

Old Mar 23rd 2009, 6:45 pm
Forum Regular

Paw1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Selective Services question at Citizenship interview

My citizenship interview is coming up soon, and there's one thing that's still not clear to me. Here's my situation. My N-400 application is through marriage. I entered the US at 22 years of age on a F1 status. I then changed to a H1-B status at 27. Got married and became a PR at 31/. So, was I still required to register with SSS, even thougha non-immigrant at 26? If not, do I still need to prove to USCIS that I didn't register because I wasn't required to? Are they expecting me to bring a status letter from SSS excusing me? I'd think the USCIS has enough documents to verify my reasoning for not registering, but I wanted to be sure. I'd like to walk out of the interview with an approval and a smile . Thanks.
Old Mar 23rd 2009, 6:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Selective Services question at Citizenship interview

Originally Posted by Paw1
My citizenship interview is coming up soon, and there's one thing that's still not clear to me. Here's my situation. My N-400 application is through marriage. I entered the US at 22 years of age on a F1 status. I then changed to a H1-B status at 27. Got married and became a PR at 31/. So, was I still required to register with SSS, even thougha non-immigrant at 26? If not, do I still need to prove to USCIS that I didn't register because I wasn't required to? Are they expecting me to bring a status letter from SSS excusing me? I'd think the USCIS has enough documents to verify my reasoning for not registering, but I wanted to be sure. I'd like to walk out of the interview with an approval and a smile . Thanks.
My husband entered the US after the age of 26 and we obtained a letter from Selective Service stating that he was not required to register. I don't know if he was specifically asked for this form during the interview, but we included a copy in his N400 app in case it was called into question.
Old Mar 23rd 2009, 6:53 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sunflwrgrl13
My husband entered the US after the age of 26 and we obtained a letter from Selective Service stating that he was not required to register. I don't know if he was specifically asked for this form during the interview, but we included a copy in his N400 app in case it was called into question.
My husband entered the USA after the age of 26 also. He did not include a letter from Selective Service with the N-400, and he did not bring one to the interview. He was not asked anything about it at the interview.

Rene
Old Mar 23rd 2009, 7:02 pm
Forum Regular

I didn't send any SSS docs with my N-400 application either. I received a letter recently requesting me to bring some docs to the interview, but SSS docs weren't mentioned. But is it pretty clear cut that I didn't need to register? If I were to request a status letter from SSS, how long will it take?
Old Mar 23rd 2009, 7:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

adjudicator89 has a reputation beyond reputeadjudicator89 has a reputation beyond reputeadjudicator89 has a reputation beyond reputeadjudicator89 has a reputation beyond reputeadjudicator89 has a reputation beyond reputeadjudicator89 has a reputation beyond reputeadjudicator89 has a reputation beyond reputeadjudicator89 has a reputation beyond reputeadjudicator89 has a reputation beyond reputeadjudicator89 has a reputation beyond reputeadjudicator89 has a reputation beyond repute

I entered the USA before age 26 and luckily USCIS registered me automatically after my AOS interview , that's what the Selective Service told me when I called them. Because I was applying for Student grant form my College and they said I had to show my selective service registration. I freaked out as i knew i was supposed to register. Well , when I called the selective service , they told me that I have been registered since Aug 2005 and USCIS done so. Wheww. Thank god.
Old Mar 23rd 2009, 8:13 pm
Forum Regular

Milan, were you under 26 at the time of your AOS application? That maybe why USCIS registered you with SS. I don't think that applies to me since I was past that age when became a PR.
Old Mar 23rd 2009, 10:39 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't send any SSS docs with my N-400 application either.
Whether you registered or not, the obligation ended after age 26. If you are now 31+, your registration or non-registration is now moot. In other words, it is now a non-issue.

If I were to request a status letter from SSS, how long will it take?
Don't bother... no need to make extra work for yourself.

Ian
Old Mar 23rd 2009, 10:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Milan, were you under 26 at the time of your AOS application? That maybe why USCIS registered you with SS. I don't think that applies to me since I was past that age when became a PR.
It's not necessarily when you became a PR. There are certain criteria that can mandate that men register even if they aren't LPRs. I can't remember what those criteria are right now, but I bet they are on the SSS website. Heck, I think even illegals are supposed to register [yeah, like that happens!].
Old Mar 24th 2009, 2:38 am
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi:

You are over 31 -- no need to worry. Failure to register for selective service is considered bad moral character -- you can NOT register once you reach age 26.

Do the math.
Old Mar 24th 2009, 2:40 am
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi:

FWIW -- it is easy to check selective service registration on line. If relevant, I attach the print-out.
Old Mar 24th 2009, 4:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

adjudicator89 has a reputation beyond reputeadjudicator89 has a reputation beyond reputeadjudicator89 has a reputation beyond reputeadjudicator89 has a reputation beyond reputeadjudicator89 has a reputation beyond reputeadjudicator89 has a reputation beyond reputeadjudicator89 has a reputation beyond reputeadjudicator89 has a reputation beyond reputeadjudicator89 has a reputation beyond reputeadjudicator89 has a reputation beyond reputeadjudicator89 has a reputation beyond repute

Paw1 Ian and Folinky are correct.:-) No need to worry anymore. Yes I was 24 or 25 can't remember now LOL. Anyway. Best wishes.
Old Mar 24th 2009, 9:03 pm
Forum Regular

I checked the SSS website to see if I was ever registered, maybe by USCIS. Doesn't look like I was. But I guess I really don't have to worry about it since I'm 31+. Thanks for your response. Since my N-400 application went through prior to Oct 1, 2008, I choose to take the old citizenship test, seems a little easier. Any thoughts on that? Do we take the on a computer?
Old Mar 24th 2009, 9:10 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

I checked the SSS website to see if I was ever registered, maybe by USCIS. Doesn't look like I was. But I guess I really don't have to worry about it since I'm 31+. Thanks for your response. Since my N-400 application went through prior to Oct 1, 2008, I choose to take the old citizenship test, seems a little easier. Any thoughts on that? Do we take the on a computer?
The questions are asked verbally, and you respond verbally. You have to get 6 out of 10 questions right.

Rene
Old Mar 25th 2009, 4:30 pm
Forum Regular

I looked at my NOA letter and I'm not sure which date counts. The Received date is Sept 30, 2008 (1 day before the cutoff date) but the Notice date is Oct 16, 2008. Do I still get to choose which test to take, or does this mean I have to take the new test?