Seeking Immigration Lawyer in NYC

Old Jul 16th 2002, 6:20 pm
Skenny

Default Seeking Immigration Lawyer in NYC

Looking for a good [and relatively inexpensive] immigration lawyer for a friend who
just married a US citizen and needs to file papers for Adjustment of Status in NYC.
As she is currently not working, she'd prefer someone who is relatively inexpensive.
Any leads contacts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Sara

Old Jul 16th 2002, 7:47 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Seeking Immigration Lawyer in NYC

There are very few inexpensive attorneys in New York City. And inexpensive doesn't really mean good.

Why can't they do it themselves? We did successfully as did the majority of the New Yorkers here on the NG.
Old Jul 16th 2002, 11:20 pm
Tom Brayman

Not sure if you would call this a recommendation or not, but we just applied to a Law
firm (who can do things electronically/via internet). Cant tell you how good they
might be, but they are definitely cheaper....

American Immigration Network
c/o Law Office of Earl S. David, Esq. 110 Wall Street, 21st Floor New York, NY 10005

Toll Free: 1.888.645.6272 Tel: 212.742.0328 Fax: 212.742.0438

"skenny" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > Looking for a good [and relatively inexpensive] immigration lawyer for a friend who
    > just married a US citizen and needs to file papers for Adjustment of Status in NYC.
    > As she is currently not working, she'd prefer someone who is relatively
    > inexpensive. Any leads contacts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Sara

Old Jul 17th 2002, 12:20 am
Paul Helpdesk

Sara

Check out the following:

http://www.visapro.com/Green-Card-Fa...US-Citizen.asp
http://www.isso.cornell.edu/immigration/marryusc.html

Paul @ HelpDesk

Old Jul 17th 2002, 3:30 pm
Just Joined

Prince is an unknown quantity at this point

American Immigration Network
c/o Law Office of Earl S. David, Esq. 110 Wall Street, 21st Floor New York, NY 10005

Toll Free: 1.888.645.6272 Tel: 212.742.0328 Fax: 212.742.0438

I used this company as well. So far I have not had any problems, and providing your case is straight forwad, they seem a good bet.

Cheers, Jason
Old Jul 17th 2002, 4:20 pm
Mark Fuller

"Tom Brayman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<Ho1Z8.86576$%%[email protected]>. ..
    > Not sure if you would call this a recommendation or not, but we just applied to a
    > Law firm (who can do things electronically/via internet). Cant tell you how good
    > they might be, but they are definitely cheaper....
    >
    > Website: http://www.usavisanow.com

I used this firm to file EAD/AOS. I was very happy with the speed at which the
transaction was completed; the thoroughness. I don't think the original poster needs
to restrict their search area to NYC. Immigration is national. He could use an
attorney anywhere in the country to file the papers anywhere in the country. I think
the only reason he'd need a local attorney is if he needs an attorney present at
interviews. But, that wouldn't be inexpensive.

Mark

Old Jul 17th 2002, 5:04 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

It is always better to have an attorney in the same area where you live in case of problems. An online service such as visanow is sufficient if you don't run into problems. However, if you do encounter difficulties being able to call and/or visit the attorney's office to discuss the problem with them is beneficial. Also is the fact that a local attorney who deals with the specific INS office you are going through will have contact names and phones not available to attorneys outside of that jurisdiction.

Rete
Old Jul 17th 2002, 7:20 pm
Mdudall

>It is always better to have an attorney in the same area where you live in case of
    >problems. An online service such as visanow is sufficient if you don't run into
    >problems. However, if you do encounter difficulties being able to call and/or visit
    >the attorney's office to discuss the problem with them is beneficial.

Most of the clients I have lift outside of driving distance from my office, and
instead we communicate with each other via the phone. Since I pick up the phone
myself in my office, clients can get right through, and since I usually work until
around 8 to 9 PM pacific time, my clients anywhere in the U.S. can usually reach me
during their "after work" hours. As far as getting materials to and from each other,
most use priority mail with delivery confirmation which is fast, and the post office
hasn't lost one yet.

I seem to recall helping a "non-client" newsgroup friend who was having trouble
finding out the date her husbands case was approved at the NYC INS office. I sent one
letter to the NYC INS office, and she had her answer rather quickly (I think within
the week of them receiving my letter). Now, if she had already been my client, the
INS would have had a G-28 on file saying I was her and her husbands attorney of
record, so if that had been the case I could have instead simply picked up the phone
and called the NYC INS office to get the answer. However since I "was not" the
attorney of record, I had to send the INS a signed (by the client) G-28 to make sure
they would consider me as the attorney of record for the limited purpose of finding
out this answer (in other words, the client had given permission for them to contact
me with information about her case).

Most problems that come up can be resolved by a phone call or two to the INS office.

When it comes to the AOS interview, I would agree that it would be easier for a
"local" attorney to attend the interview if the clients wanted the attorney to
attend. I'm willing to travel for interviews (have driven and flown to San Francisco,
driven to San Diego, and will soon drive to Santa Ana), however for most K-1'er AOS,
most clients do not feel the need to have me travel.

When the AOS interview appointment letter arrives, I call the client to make sure
they too received the appointment letter (most have, but some don't receive it from
the INS) and to make sure they know the time, date and place of the interview (I also
contact them for this purpose when fingerprinting appointment, EAD & AP letters come
in too). Then we have an "interview prep" conversation on the phone (myself, the U.S.
spouse and international spouse on the line). Most of these "prep" calls take around
an hour. We go over their file to review what was submitted. We review what has
happened since filing and discuss other things that they should take in to their
interivew. We discuss what a typical spousal AOS interview is like, what to expect,
what they should do at the interview, and common mistakes people make at the
interview (so they can avoid making these mistakes). After all that, most clients
feel prepared and confident, so most don't elect to have me travel to be at the
interview with them (of course, for offices that are closer, such as L.A., its easier
for me to attend). Haven't had a client denied yet.

I recently had clients go in for their interview in Boston (June 24th). She (the
international spouse) was very concerned about a special situation/issue with her and
her husband's living situation. I advised her how to approach this issue with INS,
and when she did, the particular INS officer did not think it was a problem. Her
fingerprint clearance had now arrived so she did not get her official approval that
day, but her approval letter arrived to my office (from Boston INS) yesterday.

Also is the fact that a local attorney
    >who deals with the specific INS office you are going through will have contact names
    >and phones not available to attorneys outside of that jurisdiction.

I always buy the AILA INS Directory and Resource Guide that has the key staff members
names and numbers listed for each INS office out there so I've not had any problem
contacting any INS office when I need to, but I would agree that if the attorney is
not a member of AILA, or is an AILA member who does not buy the publications from
AILA, he or she would not have the contact information (unless of course, the
attorney contacted other attorneys who could give him or her that information).

Regards, Matthew Udall Attorney

Old Jul 17th 2002, 8:20 pm
Mdudall

Oops, a couple of typos.

>Most of the clients I have lift outside of driving distance from my office,

Make that "live".

>Her fingerprint clearance had now arrived so she did not get her official approval
    >that day,

Make that "not arrived".