Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

security check; repeat fingerprinting; new green card

security check; repeat fingerprinting; new green card

Old Jan 20th 2008, 5:36 pm
Just Joined

joa1313 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default security check; repeat fingerprinting; new green card

I have three questions -- maybe they are just rants to find out if anyone else has had to go through similar things.

1. I applied for citizenship in 2003, was interviewed in 2004, and have been waiting ever since for my FBI security check to be completed. I'm a 64-year-old Brit female with a very English name who has been working in a respectable middle-class job for the state I live in since 1984. Does anyone have any idea why this is taking so long?

2. I was told my fingerprints had "expired" (I have since learned from Web research that the fingerprints don't expire, but when the record they are attached to expires they simply discard the prints too). I had them taken, and the man who did it said he was having trouble getting acceptable prints, partly because I have little nicks and cuts on my fingers. Now they want me to come back and try again. How many times will they do this?

3. My green card is sufficiently old that it does not expire. Now I hear that they are going to make those of us with old cards trade them in for a new one that does expire. More hundreds of dollars in fees and no doubt more fingerprints. Is there any way to avoid this and still be able to travel and return to the US, does anyone know?

If no one has any answers, I'd also be glad to hear from people with similar problems. A frustration shared is maybe not halved, but it helps!
Old Jan 20th 2008, 6:17 pm
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: security check; repeat fingerprinting; new green card

Originally Posted by joa1313
I have three questions -- maybe they are just rants to find out if anyone else has had to go through similar things.

1. I applied for citizenship in 2003, was interviewed in 2004, and have been waiting ever since for my FBI security check to be completed. I'm a 64-year-old Brit female with a very English name who has been working in a respectable middle-class job for the state I live in since 1984. Does anyone have any idea why this is taking so long?

2. I was told my fingerprints had "expired" (I have since learned from Web research that the fingerprints don't expire, but when the record they are attached to expires they simply discard the prints too). I had them taken, and the man who did it said he was having trouble getting acceptable prints, partly because I have little nicks and cuts on my fingers. Now they want me to come back and try again. How many times will they do this?

3. My green card is sufficiently old that it does not expire. Now I hear that they are going to make those of us with old cards trade them in for a new one that does expire. More hundreds of dollars in fees and no doubt more fingerprints. Is there any way to avoid this and still be able to travel and return to the US, does anyone know?

If no one has any answers, I'd also be glad to hear from people with similar problems. A frustration shared is maybe not halved, but it helps!
Hi:

1. No. However you were actually interviewed, please note that the statute give CIS 120 days following the interview to complete the case and make an up-or-down decision. You have the right to sue. BTW, CIS has subsequent fixed this problem of cases taking more than 120 days after the interview pending security checks. They no long set the interview until the security checks are completed. [BTW, I am NOT kidding on this one]. You have a right to sue the bastards.

2. Three times is the policy in this part of the country.

3. Not the rule yet, but it is coming. You can avoid it by completion of the naturalization.
Old Jan 21st 2008, 1:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Brit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Folinskyinla
Hi:

1. No. However you were actually interviewed, please note that the statute give CIS 120 days following the interview to complete the case and make an up-or-down decision. You have the right to sue. BTW, CIS has subsequent fixed this problem of cases taking more than 120 days after the interview pending security checks. They no long set the interview until the security checks are completed. [BTW, I am NOT kidding on this one]. You have a right to sue the bastards.

2. Three times is the policy in this part of the country.

3. Not the rule yet, but it is coming. You can avoid it by completion of the naturalization.
Absolutely correct with this! Filed N-400 June 2006 and been FBI namecheck pending ever since. I've started talking to lawyers about filing a Writ of Mandamus on them all.
Old Jan 24th 2008, 4:21 pm
Just Joined

I have also talked to a lawyer about a writ of mandamus, but could not afford the fees. I realize that it would take a good deal of research and work etc., and a lawyer would obviously do a better job than I could, but would I be legally permitted to file my own?
Old Jan 24th 2008, 4:36 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

I have also talked to a lawyer about a writ of mandamus, but could not afford the fees. I realize that it would take a good deal of research and work etc., and a lawyer would obviously do a better job than I could, but would I be legally permitted to file my own?
Sure you can! U.S. District Court is where you file. A search on the web will find suitable petitions that you can redo to your own spec. Immigrationportal.com has a lot of information.
Old Jan 28th 2008, 12:16 am
Just Joined

I went to the USCIS Web site and tried to get information about my case through the online system. I was told that my application is not in the system. Hmm. Does anyone know what this implies?
Old Jan 28th 2008, 12:42 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

I went to the USCIS Web site and tried to get information about my case through the online system. I was told that my application is not in the system. Hmm. Does anyone know what this implies?
It just implies that it's not found in the system, nothing more. Lots of people have trouble seeing their N-400 status online. Nothing to worry about.

Rene
Old Jan 28th 2008, 12:53 am

Pony is an unknown quantity at this point

On every appointment form that requested my fingerprints, it was clearly stated that if I had any cuts or nicks on my fingers I would be turned away and told to make another appointment. Then at the appointment desk my fingers were examined before I was admitted in to the waiting room.

My greencard was lost (stolen?) in the mail. I had to have my biometrics taken again - even though it was less than 3 months since I had them originally taken.

Good luck.

partly because I have little nicks and cuts on my fingers. Now they want me to come back and try again. How many times will they do this?
Old Jan 28th 2008, 3:14 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pony
My greencard was lost (stolen?) in the mail. I had to have my biometrics taken again - even though it was less than 3 months since I had them originally taken.

Good luck.
Fingerprints are stored ..but cannot be retrieved ..