Scheduling a visa interview

Old Aug 31st 2010, 12:59 pm
Just Joined

jokehay is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Scheduling a visa interview

Hi there,

I am planning on moving to the USA shortly from the UK. My wife is American and recently my Immigrant visa application has been approved. I have been for the medical examination and now I need to schedule an interview. However, this seems rather confusing. I have tried calling the embassy but it only seems to give you the option of booking a Non-Immigrant visa interview. I am reluctant to go through with the call as that's not what I'm applying for and its so expensive on the phone. Is it best to just write to them and ask them to schedule an interview for me? Just wondered if that was the norm and is there anything important I should include in the letter other than name, address, DOB and case number?

Many thanks for any advice given. I appreciate it!

John
Old Aug 31st 2010, 1:10 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Scheduling a visa interview

Originally Posted by jokehay
Is it best to just write to them and ask them to schedule an interview for me?
Have you returned the checklist? Once they receive it, they will schedule an interview and tell you when it is.

Ian
Old Aug 31st 2010, 1:26 pm
Just Joined

We got "packet 3" in the post. There are 8 points listed. The first and last are ticked on this list. The first point says "your petition to classify the beneficiary as an immediate relative of a US citizen has been forwarded to the US consulate in London...." and the the last point says go to their website for information regarding the next step. I just thought the next step was having a medical and then scheduling an interview. We have certain documents regarding proof of domicile intent and affidavits from my wife's Mother. I was under the impression I notified the embassy once these documents were completed and they sorted an interview date. I don't think we actaully have a checklist though!
Old Aug 31st 2010, 2:31 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

The first and last are ticked on this list. The first point says "your petition to classify the beneficiary as an immediate relative of a US citizen has been forwarded to the US consulate in London...." and the the last point says go to their website for information regarding the next step.
Ah... now I understand your confusion. The I-130 that was submitted, isn't a visa application. It's simply a petition to establish the relationship between a USC and a non-USC family member. Once the petition is approved and forwarded to London (which your notice indicates is just now happening), you'll receive a notice from London and at that point you'll be invited to actually apply for the visa. At that point, there'll be a checklist for you to complete indicating that you've had the medical, your ACPO certificate, etc. Once you return the checklist, you'll be scheduled for an interview.

Ian
Old Aug 31st 2010, 3:47 pm
Just Joined

Thank you for that. I understand what I have to do next!
Old Aug 31st 2010, 3:53 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

We got "packet 3" in the post. There are 8 points listed. The first and last are ticked on this list. The first point says "your petition to classify the beneficiary as an immediate relative of a US citizen has been forwarded to the US consulate in London...." and the the last point says go to their website for information regarding the next step. I just thought the next step was having a medical and then scheduling an interview. We have certain documents regarding proof of domicile intent and affidavits from my wife's Mother. I was under the impression I notified the embassy once these documents were completed and they sorted an interview date. I don't think we actaully have a checklist though!
Have you found the Embassy links?

I have moved your thread to the marriage based visa forum where you can find experiences from others doing the same type of application.
Now that your petition is approved, you need to apply for the visa. The first step is sending in DS-230 ASAP, and the checklist (when you have all your documents.. you can fudge on the medical and book that right after sending the checklist).
The checklist + DS-230 triggers the interview scheduling.. they do it, not you.

The process is outlined in the link in my signature. Let us know if you have any questions!
Old Aug 31st 2010, 4:36 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by meauxna
Have you found the Embassy links?

I have moved your thread to the marriage based visa forum where you can find experiences from others doing the same type of application.
Now that your petition is approved, you need to apply for the visa. The first step is sending in DS-230 ASAP, and the checklist (when you have all your documents.. you can fudge on the medical and book that right after sending the checklist).
The checklist + DS-230 triggers the interview scheduling.. they do it, not you.

The process is outlined in the link in my signature. Let us know if you have any questions!
Thank you for that, it's really helpful. I have been on the website today and I'm trying to piece together everything. One moment it seems clear and the next, very confusing!

A few things. My next step is to fill out the DS-230 part 1. What is part 2 for? Do I actually have to fill that out as the embassy only seems to want part 1?!

Secondly, can you send the DS-2001 Notification of Applicant readiness along with the DS-230 if I have all the documentation ready?

Finally, is the DS-2001 Notification of Applicant Readiness the same thing as the "ready to interview checklist?"

Once again, your help is massively appreciated as it is a confusing process.

Thanks,

John
Old Aug 31st 2010, 4:39 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you for that, it's really helpful. I have been on the website today and I'm trying to piece together everything. One moment it seems clear and the next, very confusing!

A few things. My next step is to fill out the DS-230 part 1. What is part 2 for? Do I actually have to fill that out as the embassy only seems to want part 1?!
Part II goes to the interview with you, to sign IN FRONT of the officer. Don't sign it ahead of time. If you do not already have a Social Security number, you can tick the 'yes' box on page 4 to apply for one automagically on arrival.

Secondly, can you send the DS-2001 Notification of Applicant readiness along with the DS-230 if I have all the documentation ready?
I'm going to post 'yes' and then go double check, but I think 'yes, send them together'.

Finally, is the DS-2001 Notification of Applicant Readiness the same thing as the "ready to interview checklist?"

Once again, your help is massively appreciated as it is a confusing process.

Thanks,

John
Yes, and glad to be of service.
I need to update those page links in the wiki. Keep hoping some red hot n' ready reader will do it...

Edit; please post me the links provided in your IVU notification? I'd like to see where they are directing applicants to start in their website.
Old Aug 31st 2010, 4:49 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by meauxna
Part II goes to the interview with you, to sign IN FRONT of the officer. Don't sign it ahead of time. If you do not already have a Social Security number, you can tick the 'yes' box on page 4 to apply for one automagically on arrival.

I'm going to post 'yes' and then go double check, but I think 'yes, send them together'.

Yes, and glad to be of service.
I need to update those page links in the wiki. Keep hoping some red hot n' ready reader will do it...

Edit; please post me the links provided in your IVU notification? I'd like to see where they are directing applicants to start in their website.
Thank you very much for taking the time to answer the questions. This website is so useful and does give me hope! I panicked today when I realised how little I actually understand about the process, but I feel far more confident now!