Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

San Jose AOS interview success.....but no stamp given

San Jose AOS interview success.....but no stamp given

Old Dec 18th 2002, 9:07 pm
Forum Regular

Maggie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default San Jose AOS interview success.....but no stamp given

We have just got home from the AOS interview San Jose and it was much easier than we thought it would be. Here is the summary of events...

Arrived in Room 219 at approx. 9.50 am (interview was scheduled for 10.00am). Unfortunately my attorney had not arrived yet so I couldn't put my interview letter in the tray. At exactly 10.00am she appeared and we then went ahead and put the letter in the tray. We had barely sat down when my name was called and all three of us (hubby, attorney and I) went to the little office. He was a very friendly officer (Officer Al). He even suggested that we refer to him as Al.
He asked me and my hubby to remain standing and raise our right hands and promise to tell nothing but the truth. Once we were sitted, the first thing he wanted to see was my passport and my CA DL/ID. He then started browsing his records while asking my last date of entry into the US while verifying the dates with the stamps on my passport. He then asked my hubby (the USC) for his passport or CA DL/ID. He gave him the DL. Apparently, this officer was very familiar with the attorney since he has previously interviewed her clients. He asked us how we met and we told him. He asked whether I was still going to school since I came on an F1 visa and I said "yes." He asked for the original birth certs, marriage cert, divorce decree (for my husband) which my attorney gave. He then asked whether we had anything showing the comingling finances which my attorney handed over. She had arranged everything neatly and highlighted the key points so that it was easy for the officer. All he said was "You are lucky you have a very organized attorney who I have worked with in the past so I don't have to double check anything. I trust her." He then started going over the CPR info and gave me an I751 form. He went on to say that I was approved and even had an approval letter which he had pre-typed so that all he would have to do once I am approved was mail it. He gave me a copy of the letter and wrote in red (on the margin) that it was pending additional checks by the Homeland Security. He mentioned that he had received my FBI fingerprinting results and they were clear. The next thing he wanted was my medical results which he opened and gave me a copy. He didn't take my EAD card since I didn't get a stamp. In between all this, he kept talking to my husband about the airforce since they were both there around the same time. By the way, my husband is 21 yrs older than me and this didn't even come up at all (I was very shocked). The interview was over in less than 15 mins and as we were walking out, he was already going out to call the next couple in. All in all, my attorney advised that he was one of the efficient people they have there and I was lucky that I got him as our interviewer.
I am so glad this is over but now we are just waiting for the approval in the mail. My attorney tried to ask the officer how long it would take but he didn't have a clue. He mentioned that they initially thought it was going to take 2 weeks and now a month later there was still no news.
I am hoping that there will be no more changes.

Below is my timeline:

July 15/02 - Attorney mails in my AOS packet
July 16/02 - INS receives packet
July 23/02 - Attorney receives the INS receipt dated 07/19
Aug 06/02 - Attorney receives my EAD appointment letter
Aug 20/02 - EAD issued at San Jose office (took only 25 mins)
Nov 01/02 - Received AOS interview letter and fingerprinting notice (dated Aug 29/02)
Dec 18/02 - AOS interview (approved without stamp)
Old Dec 18th 2002, 9:13 pm
Forum Regular

Maggie is an unknown quantity at this point

Forgot to mention that the only other questions he asked were:
1. have you ever used fraudulent documents to receive INS benefits.
2. have you ever been on welfare
3. have you ever engaged in prostitution.....(can't remember how it was phrased.