Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

riversiq's Question: Best Way to visit the USA from UK

riversiq's Question: Best Way to visit the USA from UK

Old Jun 22nd 2011, 3:26 am
Forum Regular

riverslq is an unknown quantity at this point
Default riversiq's Question: Best Way to visit the USA from UK

Originally Posted by Octang Frye
Hmm, lot of people working the schadenfreude angle...

I wonder if their car was a rental? Why didn't they just deport them immediately?

I wouldn't wish incarceration in an American jail on anybody. Disease. Violence. No thanks.

Follow-up: Wow, there's some real FAIL in the comments section.

Hopping over to Canada in order to extend a US visa that is coming to an end is a common practice. On re-entry travellers apply for and are granted a new visa granting them a further three months. This couple did not do that and instead wrongly assumed it would be done automatically. Why they would think this escapes me. So from the moment they drove over the border back into the US they became illegal aliens. They were treated the same way as any other illegal aliens i.e. arrested, held in a detention centre for a number of weeks and then deported home. I fail to see the point of this story or why anyone should feel outraged on their behalf as they clearly failed to follow the current procedures and were punished as a consequence and ignorance can't be used as an excuse. I suspect when they lodge their complaint with the Foreign Office they will be told the same thing.

- Carlie , Bristol, 21/6/2011 5:40

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz1PwURhnXV

Hey all. I had a question about this situation. I'm trying to figure out the best way for a friend of mine to come visit from the UK on an ESTA.

So to be sure I didn't read this conversation wrong, you can re-apply for a new 90 days at the US/CA border on the way back into the US?
Or did this couple screw up, and not ask for the new 90 at the desk?
Or do you have to go back to your country of origin, wait a few days, and then come back?
Old Jun 22nd 2011, 3:39 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Best Way to visit the USA from UK

Background discussion here: http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...=721747&page=2

Originally Posted by riverslq
Hey all. I had a question about this situation. I'm trying to figure out the best way for a friend of mine to come visit from the UK on an ESTA.

So to be sure I didn't read this conversation wrong, you can re-apply for a new 90 days at the US/CA border on the way back into the US?
Or do you have to go back to your country of origin, wait a few days, and then come back?
river,

Since you have an actual question, I created a new thread for your question.

Your friend can do an ESTA application and then if approved, visit the USA from the UK for up to 90 days. Going to adjacent Canada is not supposed to give one a new 90-day entry. One must go further away than North America.

Rule of thumb is to spend more time outside the USA than inside, so after a 90-day visit, your friend should stay back in the UK for more than 90 days before attempting another VWP visit.

Rene
Old Jun 22nd 2011, 12:26 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: riversiq's Question: Best Way to visit the USA from UK

Generally, a trip to Canada will not give you an additional 90 days - even if you ask. If you're in Canada for 5 days, that's 5 days off your original 90 days.

They were not entitled to a further 90 days anyway... whether they asked or not.

Ian
Old Jun 22nd 2011, 7:05 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: riversiq's Question: Best Way to visit the USA from UK

I strongly advise against doing this, I've read before on immigration forums that people do it, it's not allowed but they usually get away with it.

Since I've lived in Canada getting into the US has gotten progressively harder and harder, I used to be able to get through in 20 minutes, rarely now is it much less than an hour. So much so I got every bit of paperwork I could known to man to speed it up, visa, NEXUS card, DHS-TRIP letter.

The regulations for the VWP specifically say that a departure to another adjacent jurisdiction is NOT considered departure from the US, this covers Canada, Mexico and most of the Caribbean (and various other places too if you're departing from Guam, Hawaii or other places in the Pacific).

I have had CBP inspectors specifically ask to see my Canadian LPR card and one of them said to me at YYC (where CBP is pretty laid back) she would have denied my entry if I hadn't had it on the basis of that regulation.

Any advice of so and so did it a few years back isn't worth spit, imo.