Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

The right type of visa - lots of questions...!

The right type of visa - lots of questions...!

Old Mar 8th 2008, 10:16 am
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: The right type of visa - lots of questions...!

Originally Posted by pwhite8314

I tried to find the relevent section in the FAM, but that's not easy!

Yes it is. If it helps any [I just looked and it was very easy] -- 9 FAM 41.31 notes 7 to 11.

Note -- this list is not binding on the POE inspectors.
Old Mar 8th 2008, 10:19 am
Texas Pete

pwhite8314 is just really nicepwhite8314 is just really nicepwhite8314 is just really nicepwhite8314 is just really nicepwhite8314 is just really nicepwhite8314 is just really nicepwhite8314 is just really nicepwhite8314 is just really nice

Thanks...I'd got to 9 Fam 41.2, so was getting close :-)
Old Mar 8th 2008, 10:45 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks...I'd got to 9 Fam 41.2, so was getting close :-)
http://foia.state.gov/masterdocs/09fam/0941031N.pdf
Old Mar 8th 2008, 12:11 pm
Texas Pete

pwhite8314 is just really nicepwhite8314 is just really nicepwhite8314 is just really nicepwhite8314 is just really nicepwhite8314 is just really nicepwhite8314 is just really nicepwhite8314 is just really nicepwhite8314 is just really nice

Thanks. So the same conditions of a B-1 apply to the VWP, i.e.:

(1) Engage in commercial transactions, which do not involve gainful
employment in the United States (such as a merchant who takes
orders for goods manufactured abroad);
(2) Negotiate contracts;
(3) Consult with business associates;
(4) Litigate;
(5) Participate in scientific, educational, professional or business
conventions, conferences, or seminars; or
(6) Undertake independent research.

If so, #3 is incredibly broad-ranging and ambiguous, but certainly applies to me, as do 2 & 5. I was, and am, paid from the UK, although US expenses were re-imbursed locally.

Can anyone give an insight as to what the interview at the US Embassy is like? Is it more of an interrogation, or a formality? What should I prepare? My boss had to visit the embassy every couple of years to get some sort of visa, and he said it was not a pleasant experience at all.
Old Mar 8th 2008, 5:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks. So the same conditions of a B-1 apply to the VWP, i.e.:

Can anyone give an insight as to what the interview at the US Embassy is like? Is it more of an interrogation, or a formality? What should I prepare? My boss had to visit the embassy every couple of years to get some sort of visa, and he said it was not a pleasant experience at all.

Sure. A lesson in queue-forming. Interview is a formality. There were three threads on this last week alone - a quick search of this forum will help you

Edit - o look, I've even done it for you

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=519897

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=518981 and the PP return... http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=519515

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=518118

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=517586

Last edited by Ozzidoc; Mar 8th 2008 at 5:26 pm.
Old Mar 9th 2008, 1:33 am
Texas Pete

Thanks Ozzidoc, and everyone else in this thread, I feel a LOT better about things now. I read all the i/v threads and the process seems a lot less ugly than my boss would have me beleive. I'll try to chivvy my company HR "team" along tomorrow, to get the process moving. I really want to spend as little time in the UK as possible, so hopefully if I can convince them to go the 'premium' route the timing will all work out pretty good.

For those that didn't pay the premium fee, what was the typical turnaround time on the application? I've seen websites sguuesting anything from 4-12 weeks.