Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Retirement travel in USA and Canada

Wikiposts

Retirement travel in USA and Canada

Old Mar 9th 2010, 4:04 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Retirement travel in USA and Canada

Originally Posted by md95065
Of course some states would point out that they never agreed to that particular Convention ...

... and quite a few of them probably don't even know where Geneva is ...

It is on Upper Lake Seneca in New York State
Old Mar 10th 2010, 6:10 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Keith S
This was the advice we received at the US Immigration Office and Ports of entry at LA and detroit. So that's what we followed as it also seemed to be the purpose of the B1/B2 visa. We visit our daughter twice a year and have not been questioned.
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?p=8410612
Old Mar 26th 2010, 10:25 am
Just Joined

ukfetchfan is a name known to allukfetchfan is a name known to allukfetchfan is a name known to allukfetchfan is a name known to allukfetchfan is a name known to allukfetchfan is a name known to allukfetchfan is a name known to allukfetchfan is a name known to allukfetchfan is a name known to allukfetchfan is a name known to allukfetchfan is a name known to all

Another question - If I enter the USA on VWP (with a return ticket dated for 9 mths hence), stay for 10 weeks and then travel into Canada (handing over my I194 at the border) stay in Canada for 5 mths, would I then be eligible to enter the USA again on a new VWP??

From earlier comments this would seem to be what is being suggested - but my husband keeps saying you can't enter USA from Canada on a VWP as a UK citizen as Canada is not part of the VWP.

Personally I think he is wrong as the regulations talk about Canadian Nationals not being entitled - not people travelling from Canada.

Can anyone give me a steer - and stop us arguing??!!
Old Mar 26th 2010, 10:38 am
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ukfetchfan
Another question - If I enter the USA on VWP (with a return ticket dated for 9 mths hence), stay for 10 weeks and then travel into Canada (handing over my I194 at the border) stay in Canada for 5 mths, would I then be eligible to enter the USA again on a new VWP??

From earlier comments this would seem to be what is being suggested - but my husband keeps saying you can't enter USA from Canada on a VWP as a UK citizen as Canada is not part of the VWP.

Personally I think he is wrong as the regulations talk about Canadian Nationals not being entitled - not people travelling from Canada.

You're both wrong. Hopefully that will smooth things over.
Old Mar 26th 2010, 10:42 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

I think post number 2 of this thread already answered that:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showp...27&postcount=2

Rene
Old Mar 26th 2010, 10:50 am
Just Joined

ukfetchfan is a name known to allukfetchfan is a name known to allukfetchfan is a name known to allukfetchfan is a name known to allukfetchfan is a name known to allukfetchfan is a name known to allukfetchfan is a name known to allukfetchfan is a name known to allukfetchfan is a name known to allukfetchfan is a name known to allukfetchfan is a name known to all

Great answer tonrob! Made me laugh - and should stop the arguing!!

So what is the right answer?? How does one get from USA into Canada and back into the USA. We need to travel to and from USA as we want to sail across Southampton to NY and back.

I am aware of post 3 - but there seems to be conflicting advice in Post 6.
Old Mar 26th 2010, 10:54 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

He is wrong in the way you say he is in the last part.. unless one of you is secretly Canadian?
Canadians can not use the VWP but other citizens are allowed to use the US border.
UK citizens cross the land border and enter the US with the VWP.

I still don't know if there is some length of time IN Canada that will re-set your VWP clock (I don't think so). Basically, until you leave the US/Canada/Mexico/adjacent islands, you're "in" the US for the VWP purposes.

The other fellow who did what you want to do was advised to get a B visa and did so (post 35).

There's a great new show on TV here called The Marriage Ref.. he gives every couple what they've always wanted: a winner!
Old Mar 26th 2010, 11:04 am
Just Joined

Im only still trying to pursue the VWP route because I saw on another thread that meauxna had written:
"Since B visas are near impossible for VWP eligible citizens....."

so was starting to think that perhaps B2 wasn't the right route??
Old Mar 26th 2010, 11:09 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Im only still trying to pursue the VWP route because I saw on another thread that meauxna had written:

On the VWP route, you can only stay 90 days or less. You would need to go further than Canada or Mexico in order to get a fresh 90-day VWP entry.

If you intend being in North America longer than 90 days, you will need a B2 visa. It's true that, in general, B2's are hard to get if you are eligible for the VWP. But not impossible.

Rene
Old Mar 26th 2010, 11:14 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

That was in context though.

If you are retirement age, or have a plan that shows why you need a B visa, your individual story might be different.

I'm trying to remember who the other disgruntled RVer was recently.. oh yeah, here it is http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=658777 (I think they're selling!)
Old Mar 26th 2010, 11:20 am
Just Joined

Thanks Rene for this clear guidance re the time limit for VWP.

Better start off on the B2 form filling!

Thanks also to Meauxna for clarifying re your comment on the other thread.
Old Mar 26th 2010, 11:33 am

Thanks Rene for this clear guidance re the time limit for VWP.

Better start off on the B2 form filling!

Thanks also to Meauxna for clarifying re your comment on the other thread.
this is just my scattered afternoon opinion, but your thread went far and wide and over the prairies here.. you might consider starting a new thread, recapping what you have learned, and outlining your new plan for feedback.

Applying for a B visa unprepared can also have a bad outcome. With this much at stake, I encourage you to do a lot of preparation (including confirming that a B is the best way for YOU to go).
ex, you haven't mentioned flying into Canada, crossing to the US and returning to Canada to depart the continent. I don't know if that is a better solution, but please don't go off half cocked after this very disjointed thread.
Old Mar 26th 2010, 11:48 am
Just Joined

Need to go in and out of USA, not Canada, as we want to transport our dog with us too! We don't want to fly her so the only possible/legal route is Southampton to NY via Cunard QM2. (Am busy sorting all of her documentation too!)

Am trying to do the research I need as I don't want to do the wrong thing.

Did ring a couple of Immigration lawyers in London to see how much they charge for advice - $750 for initial consultation! - so thought I would try these forums first.
Old Mar 26th 2010, 11:54 am

Did ring a couple of Immigration lawyers in London to see how much they charge for advice - $750 for initial consultation! - so thought I would try these forums first.
You can also have a consultation long-distance with a US immigration lawyer, it's quite a bit less expensive. Try www.ailalawyer.com for a listing.

Rene
Old Mar 26th 2010, 12:11 pm
Just Joined

Thanks Rene for this website address.

We are in the USA next month for 12 days - will perhaps try and contact an Immigration Lawyer from this site then.