Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Request for Initial Evidence receipt (AOS)

Request for Initial Evidence receipt (AOS)

Old Apr 27th 2009, 9:47 pm
EJ3
Forum Regular

EJ3 has a reputation beyond reputeEJ3 has a reputation beyond reputeEJ3 has a reputation beyond reputeEJ3 has a reputation beyond reputeEJ3 has a reputation beyond reputeEJ3 has a reputation beyond reputeEJ3 has a reputation beyond reputeEJ3 has a reputation beyond reputeEJ3 has a reputation beyond reputeEJ3 has a reputation beyond reputeEJ3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Request for Initial Evidence receipt (AOS)

Hi all,

I filed for AOS on March 5th. A short time later I received a Request for Initial Evidence regarding our I-864 joint sponsor. I sent back all the requested documents and initial evidence as specified to the Department of Homeland Security in Missouri.

I sent the additional package on 10th April. Tracking via the US postal sevice shows that my package arrived on the 13th.
Two weeks have passed and I have not yet received a receipt for these documents. I have researched previous posts and it seems that people usually receive receipts quite promtly and some recieve a letter explaining that the processing of their case is now being resumed.

Should I simply be a little more patient?

It has been a month and half after filing and I just do not want my case to have stalled. I am also waiting for a biometrics appointement but have read that this is not sent until all of your documents are present and correct.

If anyone has any advice it would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by EJ3; Apr 27th 2009 at 9:50 pm.
Old Apr 27th 2009, 9:49 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Request for Initial Evidence receipt (AOS)

I don't think you'll receive anything in the mail from USCIS saying they've received your RFE information. If anything, you *might* get an online notice that they're received it and that processing has resumed on your case. But then again, the online status is not highly dependable, so you might not.

You know it got there, you have the proof from USPS, so all you can do right now is sit back and wait for something else to come to you....biometrics appointment, most likely.

Rene
Old Apr 27th 2009, 9:57 pm
EJ3
Forum Regular

EJ3 has a reputation beyond reputeEJ3 has a reputation beyond reputeEJ3 has a reputation beyond reputeEJ3 has a reputation beyond reputeEJ3 has a reputation beyond reputeEJ3 has a reputation beyond reputeEJ3 has a reputation beyond reputeEJ3 has a reputation beyond reputeEJ3 has a reputation beyond reputeEJ3 has a reputation beyond reputeEJ3 has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you Rene.
My understanding was that receiving a recepit for the additonal documents was a certainty, obviously this is not the case.
Proof that I sent it and it has been received is reassuring. I will now simply wait for biometrics.
Old Apr 27th 2009, 11:01 pm

penguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond repute

Hi . We received an RFE for my husband to get a medical for our AOS even though he had one already. This was the middle of March.He got another medical and my attorney sent everything back. It was recieved on March 25th. Neither I nor my attorney received a letter about the case being resumed. My husband got his greencard in the mail today!
Old Apr 27th 2009, 11:11 pm
EJ3
Forum Regular

Thank you for your reply Penguinbar.

It seems that I may not need to be waiting for a receipt after all, just biometrics! Congratulations for receiving your husband's greencard
Old Apr 27th 2009, 11:18 pm

penguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond repute

Sure. We received a letter for my husbands biometrics about two weeks after applying for AOS for a month later. It is obviously taking a little longer because of your RFE. Itseems like a lot of people are getting RFEs lately. Fogga sent his AOS in the same time as ours. His case was also transferred to California and he got an RFE asking for medical forms as well. Hopefully you will hear soon! Thanks for the congrats!
Old Apr 28th 2009, 12:40 am
Forum Regular

janet82 is just really nicejanet82 is just really nicejanet82 is just really nicejanet82 is just really nicejanet82 is just really nicejanet82 is just really nicejanet82 is just really nicejanet82 is just really nicejanet82 is just really nicejanet82 is just really nice

Hi, I had pretty much the same question a few weeks ago. I received a request for initial information which I sent back promptly and I never received any kind of receipt from USCIS.

On their website, my case is still showing 'on hold' but I got my advanced parole and work authorization card last week and an interview notice letter today so things are obviously moving along. Apparently, the website doesn't get updated very often.

The time between me sending the extra information to them and recieving my advanced parole was about a month so just give it a little time.
Old Apr 28th 2009, 1:22 am
EJ3
Forum Regular

Thank you for your very helpful reply.
It seems my case will hopefully continue to be processed.
Old Jun 18th 2009, 7:20 pm
EJ3
Forum Regular

Hi,

I thought I would continue my previous thread rather than start a new one.

I have heard nothing further/recieved nothing in the post with regards to my pending AOS. I have looked at the USCIS case status online and it simply says 'Response to request for evidence received, and case processing has resumed.' It also states that I *should* receive a written response within 60 days of my additional evidence being received. Those 60 days have now been and passed.

I am aware that the USCIS processing times and case status are certainly not the most reliable tools and there is no guarentee my case status on the website will even continue to be updated. I also know that we can't sum the powers of any crystal ball to see if things are being done.

I'm not really looking for answers, just thoughts at this stage. I had my biometrics 11 weeks after my initial filing date and 15 weeks have now gone by. Does an RFE tend to slow the processing of cases? Is it cause for concern to have not received anthing within the 60 days specified by USCIS? Or are those 60 days not something to hold your breath about...

The waiting game continues as always. Thank you in advance for any thoughts.
Old Jun 18th 2009, 7:39 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EJ3
Does an RFE tend to slow the processing of cases?
It pretty much stops the processing until the response is received. Even then, the guy who was working on it has probably put it somewhere in a pile in his office but has to get through umpteen other case files before he remembers that yours is sitting there waiting.

Or are those 60 days not something to hold your breath about...
Yup... pretty much this!

Ian
Old Jun 19th 2009, 3:04 pm
EJ3
Forum Regular

Thank you for your kind reply Ian. I thought that might be the case!