Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Replacing permanent resident card for children at age 14

Replacing permanent resident card for children at age 14

Old Feb 7th 2020, 12:11 am
Just Joined

stoll18 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Replacing permanent resident card for children at age 14

Hello, we got our green cards in 2012, when our daughter was 11 years old. She is now 18, and I was thinking of applying for citizenship, but I just happened to come across the following at the USCIS website on the page that talks about replacing green cards: "You received your card before you were 14 and you have reached your 14th birthday (unless your card expires before your 16th birthday"

I was not aware of this requirement, and so our daughter still has the original green card issued in 2012. I am assuming that card is still valid because she has used it without any issues for reentering the US several times since she turned 14. So my question is that can I apply for citizenship on the basis of this card, or do I first need to apply for a new green card for her and then only after that card arrives, should I I then apply for citizenship.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Old Feb 7th 2020, 12:12 am
Just Joined

Default Re: Replacing permanent resident card for children at age 14

Sorry forgot to add that her current green card is valid till 2022. Thanks!
Old Feb 7th 2020, 12:21 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I remember we had to renew our daughter’s GCs when she reached 14. I seem to remember it was something about having to update the photograph. Sorry I have no idea what implications an expired GC has. AGAIK she is still regarded as a US PR.
Old Feb 7th 2020, 12:22 am
Just Joined

Thanks! Since we didn't renew when she turned 14, and now that I am thinking about applying for citizenship, just wondering what is the best path forward.
Old Feb 7th 2020, 12:25 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stoll18
Thanks! Since we didn't renew when she turned 14, and now that I am thinking about applying for citizenship, just wondering what is the best path forward.
Sorry I can’t help you, but someone more knowledgeable will probably be along soon to help you.
Old Feb 7th 2020, 4:59 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

You should have done the biometrics before her 14th birthday.
If you're applying for her citizneship, I would get this corrected before applying. If you're asking whether her application will be rejected due to this oversight, I don't know the answer. BUT my inclination would be to get all your ducks in a row to obviate any possible issues.
Old Feb 7th 2020, 5:48 pm
Just Joined

Thanks! It has been some time, so not sure if they took her biometrics when we first got the green cards in 2012. We definitely did not go again for her biometrics when she turned 14. However, when reentering the US, she did do the standard biometrics at the airport immigration, so maybe that is how it is in their system. Not sure.
Old Feb 7th 2020, 6:07 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

The USCIS website is pretty clear.
https://my.uscis.gov/exploremyoptions/renew_green_card

You must replace your Green Card if:

• You were issued a card valid for 10 years that has either expired or will expire within 6 months.
  • Your card has been lost, stolen, or damaged.
  • You were issued a card valid for 10 years before you turned 14 years old, and it will not expire before your 16th birthday.
  • Your card was issued with incorrect data (name, DOB, issued date) due to USCIS administrative error.
Old Feb 7th 2020, 7:31 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stoll18

Her green card has nothing to do with your naturalization application or eligibility. Unfortunately, since she is already 18, she will not become a US Citizen automatically when you naturalize. Pity that. She will need to apply for naturalization on her own.

Yes, she needs to change her green card to one with her photo.
Old Feb 7th 2020, 8:32 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Rete
Her green card has nothing to do with your naturalization application or eligibility. Unfortunately, since she is already 18, she will not become a US Citizen automatically when you naturalize. Pity that. She will need to apply for naturalization on her own.

Yes, she needs to change her green card to one with her photo.
Sorry for not being clear, I meant how does it affect her naturalization application, not ours.