Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Replacing permanent resident card at age 14

Replacing permanent resident card at age 14

Old Mar 2nd 2014, 4:20 am
BE Forum Addict

kodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Replacing permanent resident card at age 14

Originally Posted by 00derek
It sounds like paying the $85 fee to get the card updated with biometrics is a better option than blowing $680 on a rejected citizenship application, however small the risk. At the end of the day I should have paid that $85 already.
I think it'll be $450, not $85. You only get to pay the reduced 'biometric only' rate if you're applying within a 30 day window after their 14th birthday: http://www.uscis.gov/i-90 (spells out all the possible card replacement reasons, their codes, and their fees).

But from my point of view, thank you for raising this issue. I had no idea about this requirement, and my son turned 14 about 3 weeks ago! We're going to get right on this, and get the form in the post on Monday.
Old Mar 3rd 2014, 3:44 pm
Forum Regular

00derek is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by kodokan
I think it'll be $450, not $85. You only get to pay the reduced 'biometric only' rate if you're applying within a 30 day window after their 14th birthday: http://www.uscis.gov/i-90 (spells out all the possible card replacement reasons, their codes, and their fees).

But from my point of view, thank you for raising this issue. I had no idea about this requirement, and my son turned 14 about 3 weeks ago! We're going to get right on this, and get the form in the post on Monday.
I'm delighted that I helped.
Old Mar 3rd 2014, 3:49 pm
Forum Regular

00derek is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by kodokan

Do you mind if I ask

Roughly when was your child's card issued?
Does the card bear a fingerprint?
Old Mar 3rd 2014, 4:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

kodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 00derek
Do you mind if I ask

Roughly when was your child's card issued?
Does the card bear a fingerprint?
He got his in Feb 2013 (a week or two after he was 13 - you'd think they would include some sort of 'by the way' note about replacing it at 14!). And yes, it does have a fingerprint on it. From memory, they just did fingerprints of a thumb and maybe one of the fingers for my kids..? Not a full set, anyway - hubby and I remember commenting on that as being a key difference in the way kids and adults were biometrically processed.