Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Replacement greencard woes (seems to be a pattern)

Replacement greencard woes (seems to be a pattern)

Old May 22nd 2006, 2:49 pm
GreenCard Holder

NKA418 has a brilliant futureNKA418 has a brilliant futureNKA418 has a brilliant futureNKA418 has a brilliant futureNKA418 has a brilliant futureNKA418 has a brilliant futureNKA418 has a brilliant futureNKA418 has a brilliant future
Default Re: Replacement greencard woes (seems to be a pattern)

Originally Posted by Rete
Is he is a LPR or CPR? If a CPR you are, if not should have already, filed for the removal of his conditions, with or without the card. He is a PR just one without proof.
Rete,

My husband is a LPR. The greencard he received was good for 10 years.

Originally Posted by Capt. Tuttle
I think the lesson here is to always save a copy of everything.
While I defintely agree with that, like I said my husband was totally caught off guard when he went to inquire about the mistake on the gc. Had I gone with him, I would've suggested he go run and make a copy of it BEFORE he surrendered it to them. **Sigh** Oh well not much we can do about that now but press forward and share our story so others don't make the same mistake we did. Thankyou also for your suggestion. This is exactly why I love this forum

Na'imah
Old May 22nd 2006, 8:07 pm
Not here much

neil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Replacement greencard woes (seems to be a pattern)

Originally Posted by Capt. Tuttle
I think the lesson here is to always save a copy of everything.
We had to return my wife's card. I wrote a letter to the officer that
interviewed us since it was his mistake that the name on the card wasn't
changed. I got a very nice reply from the District Director. She
included a new I-90 and a memo of the correct address. In her letter she
clearly states that it was an administrative error and we did not have
to pay the fee.
Now we wait and see how long it takes to get the corrected card. Due to
this thread I am a bit worried, but we do have copies of everything. I
also sent the I-90 and card Priority Mail with delivery confirmation.
The suggestion to contact a representative is also a very good one. The
OP might also write to the Ombudsman.
I recently sent my card back so I'm worried it's going to take a while to sort out. Although mine was a minor error on the card (birthday one day out), but my attorney advised me to return it, filled in everything for me and sent it off. It was received on April 8th but the attorney hasn't heard anything yet. They have tried to call to find out what's going on as they would have expected a receipt notice by now, but they can only go so far apparently because they won't talk to them without my permission (which is with the paperwork that appears to be lost - catch 22). They did find out that there's no record of the I-90 in the system though. My attorney is going to try again this week and conference me in when they get through to an Immigration officer, but they are also sending a written follow up.

I know I've not been waiting long so I'm not too worried yet, and I do have the 1 year stamp in the passport. I'm just hoping it's all sorted by February when it runs out!