Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Renewing my Employment Authorization

Wikiposts

Renewing my Employment Authorization

Old May 21st 2009, 8:40 am
Just Joined

burleigh is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Renewing my Employment Authorization

Question One: I just came out of work after being in my job since I obtained my Employment Authorization in 2007. As I didn't check the expiry date on my Employment Authorization card until I was out of work, I realised that it expired on 04/12/08.

How do I renew the card (I am a total noob and am lost as to what I should do) (even though it is out-of-date)? And are there Repercussions?

Question 2 (I know its in the wrong forum) I received a letter today re: NOTICE OF REQUIREMENT TO FILE JOINT PERMISSION TO REMOVE THE CONDITIONAL BASIS OF AN ALIEN'S PERMANENT RESIDENT STATUS

(I.E my Permanent Resident Card, which expires on 9/15/2009). Does this date mean I have to file IMMEDIATELY or can it be any time between now and September and will the fact that my Employment Authorization card has expired affect this or vice versa?

Sorry if I am being vague . If you need further info let me know

(I came here as a visitor and married here nearly three years ago - all original papers passed OK)
Old May 21st 2009, 8:56 am
BE Enthusiast

henryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Renewing my Employment Authorization

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the fact that you're a legal permanent resident means that your EAD is irrelevant. It doesn't matter that it expired and you don't have to renew it. EAD is to allow employment while waiting for adjustment of status, which it sounds like you completed in september 2007.

Also, you don't have to file for removal of conditions immediately, but it's a good idea to do so sooner rather than later in case of any problems. You must file before your 2-year card expires on 9/15.
Old May 21st 2009, 9:10 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by burleigh
How do I renew the card (I am a total noob and am lost as to what I should do) (even though it is out-of-date)? And are there Repercussions?
If you have your green card, you don't need to renew the EAD.

Question 2 (I know its in the wrong forum) I received a letter today re: NOTICE OF REQUIREMENT TO FILE JOINT PERMISSION TO REMOVE THE CONDITIONAL BASIS OF AN ALIEN'S PERMANENT RESIDENT STATUS

(I.E my Permanent Resident Card, which expires on 9/15/2009). Does this date mean I have to file IMMEDIATELY or can it be any time between now and September and will the fact that my Employment Authorization card has expired affect this or vice versa?
You can ONLY file the I-751 to remove conditions during the 90-day window just before your current green card expires. So if you file now, it's too early and it will be rejected. Wait and file it towards the end of June. Your EAD no longer affects anything.

After filing the I-751, you will receive an appointment for biometrics and a 1-year extension letter. If you need to travel abroad, you'll need to carry your green card (either unexpired or expired, doesn't matter), your unexpired passport, and your unexpired 1-year extension letter.

Be aware that the I-751 is a low priority for USCIS, so don't expect fast results. Eventually, though, you will receive your 10-year green card. In the meantime, you remain a PR just as you did before. There is usually no interview associated with the removal of conditions process.

Just to make sure....you ARE still married, to the same USC?

Rene

Best Wishes,
Rene
Old May 21st 2009, 11:15 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Damn but you are lucky. USCIS sent you a reminder to do something it looks like you would have forgotten to do and could have been deported because of not doing anything.

Originally Posted by Noorah101
If you have your green card, you don't need to renew the EAD.

You can ONLY file the I-751 to remove conditions during the 90-day window just before your current green card expires. So if you file now, it's too early and it will be rejected. Wait and file it towards the end of June. Your EAD no longer affects anything.

After filing the I-751, you will receive an appointment for biometrics and a 1-year extension letter. If you need to travel abroad, you'll need to carry your green card (either unexpired or expired, doesn't matter), your unexpired passport, and your unexpired 1-year extension letter.

Be aware that the I-751 is a low priority for USCIS, so don't expect fast results. Eventually, though, you will receive your 10-year green card. In the meantime, you remain a PR just as you did before. There is usually no interview associated with the removal of conditions process.

Just to make sure....you ARE still married, to the same USC?

Rene

Best Wishes,
Rene
Old May 21st 2009, 3:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

adjudicator89 has a reputation beyond reputeadjudicator89 has a reputation beyond reputeadjudicator89 has a reputation beyond reputeadjudicator89 has a reputation beyond reputeadjudicator89 has a reputation beyond reputeadjudicator89 has a reputation beyond reputeadjudicator89 has a reputation beyond reputeadjudicator89 has a reputation beyond reputeadjudicator89 has a reputation beyond reputeadjudicator89 has a reputation beyond reputeadjudicator89 has a reputation beyond repute

Yup agree with you Rete, also Rene and henryh. YOU DO NOT NEED EAD since you have your green card, but you do have to , I repeat HAVE to file your I-751 or what just Rete said might more likely happen. Best wishes Milan.