Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Renewing my Emploment authorization I-765

Renewing my Emploment authorization I-765

Old May 5th 2006, 3:47 am
fcc
Just Joined

fcc is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Renewing my Emploment authorization I-765

Hello everyone,
I am new here, could you help me? My employment authorization runs out in 5 weeks and I have to renew my EAD, do I also have to submit my I-485 again, or can I just efile my I-765 and wait to collect another card from the federal building (in however many weeks/months)?
thanks you in advance
Old May 5th 2006, 5:11 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Renewing my Emploment authorization I-765

Originally Posted by fcc
Hello everyone,
I am new here, could you help me? My employment authorization runs out in 5 weeks and I have to renew my EAD, do I also have to submit my I-485 again, or can I just efile my I-765 and wait to collect another card from the federal building (in however many weeks/months)?
thanks you in advance
Hi fcc,

No, you don't need to refile a whole new I-485. Just fill out a new I-765, check the box for "renewal", attach whatever backup is required, and send it to the Chicago lockbox. You'll be notified of your biometrics appointment, and your card will be mailed to you at some point after that. Currently, EADs are taking the full 90 days, sometimes more. I doubt you'll get your renewal EAD before your current one expires. Just be aware that if you continue working during the gap, you'll be doing so without authorization.

Best Wishes,
Rene
Old May 5th 2006, 5:13 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Also, don't forget to include another fee for the I-765 renewal. No need for the extra $70 for fingerprinting, that was only for the I-485.

Rene
Old May 5th 2006, 5:14 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Hi fcc,

No, you don't need to refile a whole new I-485. Just fill out a new I-765, check the box for "renewal", attach whatever backup is required, and send it to the Chicago lockbox. You'll be notified of your biometrics appointment, and your card will be mailed to you at some point after that. Currently, EADs are taking the full 90 days, sometimes more. I doubt you'll get your renewal EAD before your current one expires. Just be aware that if you continue working during the gap, you'll be doing so without authorization.

Best Wishes,
Rene

Just wanted to say that when my son filed for his reneweal EAD online, the instructions said to call up and make an appointment for biometrics (rather than wait for an appointment to be mailed).

And you're right, it is taking a long time. My son's card eventually arrived on day 88 (from date of USCIS receipt).
Old May 5th 2006, 6:31 am
Amanda

fcc wrote:
    > Hello everyone,
    > I am new here, could you help me? My employment authorization runs out
    > in 5 weeks and I have to renew my EAD, do I also have to submit my I-485
    > again, or can I just efile my I-765 and wait to collect another card
    > from the federal building (in however many weeks/months)?
    > thanks you in advance

Should have applied for renewal 3-5 months before current expiration.

> --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old May 5th 2006, 5:31 pm
fcc
Just Joined

fcc is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Hi fcc,

Best Wishes,
Rene

thanks, that's really helpful