Removing Conditions on Residence

Old Jan 31st 2001, 3:08 pm
Rich & Jen

I have been in the US 90 days short of 2 years and my wife and I are about to send in our
petition to remove the conditions on my permanent residence. Has anyone gone through this
procedure? Please share. How long do they take to advise you of the outcome? Regarding the
documentation they ask for, just how thorough do those affadivats have to be? Are the
affadivats even important (we own a house together & have joint savings/liabilities. No
kids.) If we have to go for an interview, what would they ask? If there is a delay on
their part - would they extend my deadline beyond the two years (my employer wont let me
work even one day beyond the expiration of my green card).

Thanks so much. Thanks to all on this group who helped me, without really knowing it, 2
years ago when I went through the Montreal Experience.

- Richard

Old Jan 31st 2001, 6:28 pm
Heather

On Wed, 31 Jan 2001 16:08:09 GMT, quoth Rich & Jen <[email protected]> :

>Has anyone gone through this procedure? Please share. How long do they take to advise you
>of the outcome?

Where did you file?

With Vermont, the approval came w/in a month, but that was in the summer of '99. Things
seem more backed up now for everything.

>Regarding the documentation they ask for, just how thorough do those affadivats have to
>be? Are the affadivats even important (we own a house together & have joint
>savings/liabilities. No kids.)

I would think the Affidavits would be the least weighted piece of evidence (just my
opinion, of course, I don't know the inner workings of the INS!). None of the information
suggested was required at all - if you read the wording on the form, they are just giving
you suggestions. That said, of course, if the INS form suggested I might want to wear a
pink housecoat to an interview, I'd most likely be out buying a pink housecoat.

>If we have to go for an interview, what would they ask?

No clue - we didn't have one. It seems interviews for the I-751 are pretty rare.

>If there is a delay on their part - would they extend my deadline beyond the two years
>(my employer wont let me work even one day beyond the expiration of my green card).

When you send in the form, you'll get a receipt that says your work authorization has been
extended for a year. You can go to the INS office and get a stamp in your passport to show
the same (and it's a good idea, since if you want to leave the country, having that is for
the best).

As we've learned, if the application is still being processed or you haven't received the
new alien reg. card after those 12 months expire, you can go back to the INS office and
get another passport stamp.

Yes, 18 months later (and about three trips to the INS offices), we're STILL waiting to
get the stupid alien registration card, even though the petition was approved w/o hassle.

Heather
--
My real address is heather @ operamail dot com. I very rarely read the one shown as a
reply to/from address
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Much madness is divinest sense | Mommy to Rowan Justina (11/6/97) To a discerning eye
-Dickinson | Woman of many talents to myself.

Old Feb 2nd 2001, 6:04 pm
Ian Frisk

For some reason, my wife and I were called in for an interview (someone at the Northern
Service Center told me that the Detroit office has a habit of requesting interviews for
some reason). Anyway ... we turned up to our appointment with all our files and photos and
stuff (and our daughter who was born 3 days after I mailed my I-751 petition to the INS 1
1/2 years ago). I'm not sure if it was because we brought our child with us and that was
enough proof for the officer who interviewed us, but all they asked us was how we met,
what I studied at school (I was on an F-1 before I got married) and that was about it. The
only paperwork he wanted to look at was my daughter's birth certificate. I don't know if
that is a typical situation though.

> I have been in the US 90 days short of 2 years and my wife and I are about to send in
> our petition to remove the conditions on my permanent residence. Has anyone gone through
> this procedure? Please share. How long do they take to advise you of the outcome?
> Regarding the documentation they ask for, just how thorough do those affadivats have to
> be? Are the affadivats even important (we own a house together & have joint
> savings/liabilities. No kids.) If we have to go for an interview, what would they ask?
> If there is a delay on their part - would they extend my deadline beyond the two years
> (my employer wont let me work even one day beyond the expiration of my green card).
>
> Thanks so much. Thanks to all on this group who helped me, without really knowing it, 2
> years ago when I went through the Montreal Experience.
>
> - Richard