British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (https://britishexpats.com/forum/us-immigration-citizenship-visas-34/)
-   -   Regional centers (https://britishexpats.com/forum/us-immigration-citizenship-visas-34/regional-centers-513176/)

martin101 Feb 10th 2008 4:30 am

Regional centers

Hi

Does anyone know of a regional center that is legitimately sound ?

Ray Feb 10th 2008 4:32 am

Re: Regional centers

Originally Posted by martin101 (Post 5910873)
Hi

Does anyone know of a regional center that is legitimately sound ?

I don't think they keep record ..of the underlying strata
of the building ... not heard of any collapsing though ....

martin101 Feb 10th 2008 4:44 am

My wife and I have been frantically researching our EB 5 (both $500K /$1M). We decided that the E2 was unacceptable to us because we have 3 small children.

So, do you have any advice as to any current regional centre investments that are a safer bet (less risky) ?

Ray Feb 10th 2008 4:50 am

Originally Posted by martin101 (Post 5910899)
My wife and I have been frantically researching our EB 5 (both $500K /$1M). We decided that the E2 was unacceptable to us because we have 3 small children.

So, do you have any advice as to any current regional centre investments that are a safer bet (less risky) ?

Ah!!! I though you meant regional USCIS offices

Well for the $500K ..they are limited choices

for the Million ..you choices are unlimited ....
but you have only until sept for the half .,...

The whole idea is risk ........

Folinskyinla Feb 10th 2008 5:12 am

Hi:

It is up to you to do your due diligence. EB-5's scare me -- you ARE putting $500,000 or $1,000,000 "at risk" -- the EB-5 requires that.

FWIW, some of the regional centers do have the imprimatur of various STATES.

Ray Feb 10th 2008 5:15 am

I like this one ...
http://www.sd-exports.org/eb-5/

bu mainly taken up by koreans .

Folinskyinla Feb 10th 2008 5:18 am

Hi:

On the E-2 end of things -- the firm I used to be associated with had a client who got an E-2 by investing in an ongoing business [$1,000,000]. He then began losing money hand over fist -- so much so that after 2 years the business qualified as a "distressed business." The EB-5 rules require a $1,000,000 investment in a new business, but allow the investment to be in a "distressed business." In a new business, one must create 10 new jobs while in a distressed business, one need only SAVE 10 existing jobs.

In a strange quirk -- the investment can be made anytime after 1990, but the determination of the distress is made at the time of FILING. After the interview, the INS guy was shaking his head. We had a meeting later and agreed that this was totally nuts -- but it was what the law said. Two years later he sold the business for $250,000 -- expensive green cards I guess.

martin101 Feb 10th 2008 5:29 am

That reminds me of the joke..."How do you make a small fortune? Start out with a large one".

I have a question about the $1,000,000 EB5. So, if I purchased a currently operating hotel for about $1M and directly hired 10 full time people for 2 years would I meet the requirements?

Folinskyinla Feb 10th 2008 5:34 am

Originally Posted by martin101 (Post 5910961)
That reminds me of the joke..."How do you make a small fortune? Start out with a large one".

I have a question about the $1,000,000 EB5. So, if I purchased a currently operating hotel for about $1M and directly hired 10 full time people for 2 years would I meet the requirements?

Hi:

A tad more complicated than that. There are regulations -- clear as mud perhaps, but they do exist.

There are rules for expanding an existing business. But it is more than just creating 10 new jobs.

martin101 Feb 10th 2008 5:41 am

We'll look at the North Dakoda option, thanks.

Is there a way I could get a copy of the legistlation (or a detailed description of policies and requirements) regarding the $1M EB5. I tried on the USCIS website with no luck as of yet.

I have been looking at a few regional center investments. The hard pill to swallow is the dismal rate of return on your $500K also the huge risk involved. I think I'd rather roll my own dice with $1M.

Ray Feb 10th 2008 5:43 am

Originally Posted by martin101 (Post 5910974)
I have been looking at a few regional center investments. The hard pill to swallow is the dismal rate of return on your $500K also the huge risk involved. I think I'd rather roll my own dice with $1M.

Think more of it as buying a green card ...and at a pretty cheap price ..

martin101 Feb 10th 2008 5:50 am

Do you know what your net worth requirement is for the $1m EB 5?

Thanks guys for all the info. We will check back in tomorrow.

Ray Feb 10th 2008 6:13 am

Originally Posted by martin101 (Post 5910990)
Do you know what your net worth requirement is for the $1m EB 5?

Thanks guys for all the info. We will check back in tomorrow.

http://www.uscis.gov/propub/ProPubVA...b0686648558dbe

Folinskyinla Feb 10th 2008 6:35 am

Originally Posted by martin101 (Post 5910974)
We'll look at the North Dakoda option, thanks.

Is there a way I could get a copy of the legistlation (or a detailed description of policies and requirements) regarding the $1M EB5. I tried on the USCIS website with no luck as of yet.

Hi:

Section 205 of the Immigration & Nationality Act.

8 CFR part 205 of the regulations.

Curiously enough, the last 4 cases from former INS as precedent descions were in the summer of 1998.

If you are talking about a lot of money -- at least a consultation with a immigration lawyer who is not connected with any particular plan is a good idea.

diosia Feb 10th 2008 6:04 pm

500K is certainly nothing to sneeze at, the return rate might not be the greatest - but if you decide to go through with it why invest in a slower North Dakota investment instead in a growing and more secure PacNW investment?
Susanna