Refused B1 visa

Old Dec 15th 2009, 11:33 am
Just Joined

sudhirss77 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Refused B1 visa

I was interviewed for B1 visa in Chennai, India. I need to go to the US for training at our companies US office and also to understand the project requirements. The following questions were asked by the counselling officer and i answered them promptly and gave genuine answers.

1.Since how long you are working in this company?

Ans: 2 weeks

2.Why did you leave your previous company XXXXXXXX(Previous concern)?.

Ans: Job profile is good in the present company and also they offered me good pay.

3.What is your current CTC?

Ans:Rs.11.76 Lakhs per annum.

4.Where you are going to stay in the US?

Ans: XXXXX Inn, XXXXXX drive, Sunnyvale, CA. It was written in my application.

5.Can i see your invitation letter?. How you got this?.

Ans: Yes, I got it through e-mail as pdf from our US office inviting me for training.

Thats it, the counseller gave me a blue form stating that i don't qualify for the visa under section 214(b). Can somesone please enlighten me about what went wrong?.
Old Dec 15th 2009, 12:51 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Refused B1 visa

Originally Posted by sudhirss77
Thats it, the counseller gave me a blue form stating that i don't qualify for the visa under section 214(b). Can somesone please enlighten me about what went wrong?.
Generally, refusal under section 214(b) indicates that the officer believes you do not have strong ties to your home country. In other words, you did not convince him that you would leave the US after the training was finished.

http://travel.state.gov/visa/frvi/de...ials_1361.html

Ian
Old Dec 15th 2009, 12:54 pm
Professional Drama Queen

Songbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond repute

In short, you were denied because the con officer was not convinced that your visit would be a temporary one i.e. you did not demonstrate sufficient ties to your own country to indicate that your were not an immigration risk. You can read in more detail on this page : http://travel.state.gov/visa/frvi/de...ials_1361.html

The most immediate things that jump out to me from your post are;
1. The short length of your employment time with this company (2 weeks)
2. The nature and form the 'invitation' for training took. An email PDF.

Although you do not state in your post your particular circumstances, more information would be helpful What might seem to you to be a question of little relevance by the con officer could prove significant in their decision.

1. What 'significant' ties to your home country e.g. home owner, family etc, do you have?
2. Do you have family in the USA?
3. Whose address would you be staying at if you came to visit? Is it a family member?
4. Have you ever visited the USA before, if so do you have any prior history that could have been a cause for concern?
5. Have you ever applied for a visa before and been denied?

You are able to reapply, however, unless you are able to convince the con officer that you do have significant ties to your home country this will probably be denied. All other factors being favorable, then imo a SPECIFIC letter (as opposed to an email PDF) from your employer, stating the reason for your visit (i.e. a particular course of training, with start and end dates) would be the expected norm and could possibly help your case.
Old Dec 15th 2009, 12:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Marocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond repute

As for what went wrong, my guess would be (1) the fact that you have only worked for your current employer for 2 weeks and (2) having an email printout as your invitation.
Old Dec 15th 2009, 3:21 pm
Just Joined

Thanks to all for the reply. How can i demonstrate that i have a strong ties to India?. I have travelled to Australia and the UK and i never violated visa rules in those countries.

I studied in Australia for 2 years and returned a month before my visa expires. I visited UK to meet our client while in the previous company. Counseller should have counsidered that. I too feel that the short stint with my current company might be the reason. I can't understand these US visa rules. It's like charging every visa applicant that he is an illegal immigrant and ask him to prove his innocence to get the visa.
Old Dec 15th 2009, 3:32 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

It's like charging every visa applicant that he is an illegal immigrant and ask him to prove his innocence to get the visa.
Unfortunately for you, that's exactly what it is. Everyone applying for a B-1 visa is presumed to have immigrant intent, and must prove they do not.

Maybe you can try again after having been employed a while longer. Also bring a real invitation letter (hard copy, not an email), and also a letter from your employer in India stating that they are sending you specifically for this training, the dates of training, and the date you must be back at work.

Rene
Old Dec 15th 2009, 3:34 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Personally I do not see the issue with the e mail, but whilst the comments made about the reason are as logical as any we only know what you have posted, there could be something else.

Probably something for your Employers Lawyers to look at.
Old Dec 15th 2009, 3:54 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

And is the US company a proper company and not part of an Indian outsourcing company
Old Dec 15th 2009, 7:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

E3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
And is the US company a proper company and not part of an Indian outsourcing company
Ditto - it's not just you but the company as well. If it's one of those second tier 'issues millions of H1B' then it's obvious trouble.
Old Dec 15th 2009, 8:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Maybe you can try again after having been employed a while longer. Also bring a real invitation letter (hard copy, not an email), and also a letter from your employer in India stating that they are sending you specifically for this training, the dates of training, and the date you must be back at work.

Rene
Won't do the OP any good if he gets terminated because he can't the visa to attend the training in the first place. His job may be contigent on this training for all we know.

I feel for the OP here, because not only is he dealing with a government bureaucracy, he's dealing with typical company bureaucracy as well. I've never been sent an invite for training. It's always been via email and the message usually consisted of "be here from date x to date y for ABC training". Sounds like the OP could be stuck between a rock and a hard place to get these required documents and keep his job.

Good luck.
Old Dec 15th 2009, 8:54 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sunflwrgrl13
Won't do the OP any good if he gets terminated because he can't the visa to attend the training in the first place. His job may be contigent on this training for all we know.

I feel for the OP here, because not only is he dealing with a government bureaucracy, he's dealing with typical company bureaucracy as well. I've never been sent an invite for training. It's always been via email and the message usually consisted of "be here from date x to date y for ABC training". Sounds like the OP could be stuck between a rock and a hard place to get these required documents and keep his job.

Good luck.
I agree about the rock & hard place, but wouldn't a legit US employer be aware of the difficulty an Indian citizen faces getting a B visa? You can't just order soemone to be somewhere they can't get to (and it's not individual to the OP that he can't get 'there').
Old Dec 15th 2009, 9:17 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

What kind of training is it? Couldn't they offer it remotely, VPN in to their networks and use skype type of deal?

As for what ties to your home country, things like a house and mortgage payments, close family especially spouse and kids.

Also provide evidence that you haven't violated the other visas you were issued for Oz and the UK.
Old Dec 16th 2009, 12:45 am
BE Enthusiast

crosscountryrider has much to be proud ofcrosscountryrider has much to be proud ofcrosscountryrider has much to be proud ofcrosscountryrider has much to be proud ofcrosscountryrider has much to be proud ofcrosscountryrider has much to be proud ofcrosscountryrider has much to be proud ofcrosscountryrider has much to be proud ofcrosscountryrider has much to be proud ofcrosscountryrider has much to be proud ofcrosscountryrider has much to be proud of

I was interviewed for B1 visa in Chennai, India. I need to go to the US for training at our companies US office and also to understand the project requirements. The following questions were asked by the counselling officer and i answered them promptly and gave genuine answers.

1.Since how long you are working in this company?

Ans: 2 weeks

2.Why did you leave your previous company XXXXXXXX(Previous concern)?.

Ans: Job profile is good in the present company and also they offered me good pay.

3.What is your current CTC?

Ans:Rs.11.76 Lakhs per annum.

4.Where you are going to stay in the US?

Ans: XXXXX Inn, XXXXXX drive, Sunnyvale, CA. It was written in my application.

5.Can i see your invitation letter?. How you got this?.

Ans: Yes, I got it through e-mail as pdf from our US office inviting me for training.

Actually this underlines what is happening right now with various offshore engagements.
H1B and B1 have been abused so badly (maybe not this case) by various offshore companies that USCIS is putting tough measures in place.

I am working with offshore engagements for 7 years now and it seems to be a most recent development .

This will be hard to over come. IBM ( my current partner ) is conducting
specific trainings fro the interviews. The reality in the project looks

different. I belive that many of these visa applications fulfill "illegal work in the USA ) sadly .

I am maybe wrong and not a lawyer. But if somebody works for 3 or six months fulltime (12 hours daily) on a B1 it's certainly meant to raise eye brows.

Sorry to hear your individual case but USCIS has to start somewhere.

Kind Regards
CCR
Old Dec 16th 2009, 1:15 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Ray
My company is a US based networking and telecommunications company. It is well known among it's peers. Training is must for me as i was hired to work on a specific project for which most of the design engineers and hardware is in the US. Now i have to put double the effort to understand everything by myself just to keep my job. In my office everybody thinks that i have done something wrong hence my visa was refused.
Old Dec 16th 2009, 1:19 am
BE Enthusiast

crosscountryrider has much to be proud ofcrosscountryrider has much to be proud ofcrosscountryrider has much to be proud ofcrosscountryrider has much to be proud ofcrosscountryrider has much to be proud ofcrosscountryrider has much to be proud ofcrosscountryrider has much to be proud ofcrosscountryrider has much to be proud ofcrosscountryrider has much to be proud ofcrosscountryrider has much to be proud ofcrosscountryrider has much to be proud of

My company is a US based networking and telecommunications company. It is well known among it's peers. Training is must for me as i was hired to work on a specific project for which most of the design engineers and hardware is in the US. Now i have to put double the effort to understand everything by myself just to keep my job. In my office everybody thinks that i have done something wrong hence my visa was refused.
Hello,
this doesn't mean anything for the USCIS.Also IBM is US based and owned.

I don't think you did anything wrong it's simply a trend with the B-1 visa from India to question the OP's harder.

Sorry for this

CCR

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.