Reentry Permit

Old Dec 4th 2002, 11:45 am
Pagan Sex God

Patrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond repute
Default Reentry Permit

Hi All,

I am going to Boston this weekend Christmas Shopping and while I am there will activate my visa. I have been told by a work colleague that if I have a gc and am not resident (living) in the US I have to apply for a reentry permit for the time I go over in January househunting and then again for the time I emmigrate in March.

Anyone got a frigging clue what she is talking about?

Patrick
Old Dec 4th 2002, 11:52 am
Forum Regular

keatslamia is an unknown quantity at this point
Default no clue

well i have no clue patrick but give me a call when you're in boston and you can see what this eid business is all about! ;-)
i'm only half an hour away
Old Dec 4th 2002, 11:57 am
Pagan Sex God

Patrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: no clue

Originally posted by keatslamia
well i have no clue patrick but give me a call when you're in boston and you can see what this eid business is all about! ;-)
i'm only half an hour away
we will be in Natick!

(although Rita gave me a tip for a hot hotel in the back bay!!!)
Old Dec 4th 2002, 12:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

mrsstrickland is an unknown quantity at this point

i thought the 130 had no restrictions on it, and you could come and go as you please, i know that the K-1 visa has restrictions upon travel, but im sure the 130 has no restrictions, because i have read on this ng that someone went on a visit and activated their 130 and had no problems coming and going, but im sure if im wrong someone will post the correct info

dee
Old Dec 4th 2002, 12:05 pm
Pagan Sex God

Originally posted by mrsstrickland
i thought the 130 had no restrictions on it, and you could come and go as you please, i know that the K-1 visa has restrictions upon travel, but im sure the 130 has no restrictions, because i have read on this ng that someone went on a visit and activated their 130 and had no problems coming and going, but im sure if im wrong someone will post the correct info

dee
Hi Dee,

thats exactly what I thought but when someone puts another idea in your head you think twice. Bloody annoying isn't it!

Patrick
Old Dec 4th 2002, 12:58 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Patrick
Hi Dee,

thats exactly what I thought but when someone puts another idea in your head you think twice. Bloody annoying isn't it!

Patrick
Patrick

D/L the I-131 from the INS website. You will see that the it is the same form for Advance Parole. A re-entry permit is required if the LPR or CPR is going to be outside of the country for a year or more. What she might be concerned about is the fact that you have activated your visa but don't have a permanent address in the US. One problem with that is where will INS sent your newly minted green card? Does Ellen have family whose address you can use in the interim as an address at the POE for delivery of the card? This will also serve as your permanent address for the moment and you can file change of address forms when you settle into your new home.

Rete
Old Dec 4th 2002, 1:01 pm
Pagan Sex God

Originally posted by Rete
Patrick

D/L the I-131 from the INS website. You will see that the it is the same form for Advance Parole. A re-entry permit is required if the LPR or CPR is going to be outside of the country for a year or more. What she might be concerned about is the fact that you have activated your visa but don't have a permanent address in the US. One problem with that is where will INS sent your newly minted green card? Does Ellen have family whose address you can use in the interim as an address at the POE for delivery of the card? This will also serve as your permanent address for the moment and you can file change of address forms when you settle into your new home.

Rete
We are using her Dads address for everything
Old Dec 4th 2002, 2:40 pm
L D Jones

Default Re: Reentry Permit

Patrick wrote:
    >
    > Hi All,
    >
    > I am going to Boston this weekend Christmas Shopping and while I am
    > there will activate my visa. I have been told by a work colleague that
    > if I have a gc and am not resident (living) in the US I have to apply
    > for a reentry permit for the time I go over in January househunting and
    > then again for the time I emmigrate in March.
    >
    > Anyone got a frigging clue what she is talking about?

If you are entering the US with an approved I-130 you will not need a
re-entry permit of any kind (but see below). The "I-551" stamp you will
receive in your passport is all that is necessary to permit you to
travel in and out of the US (along with your passport of course)

You only need a re-entry permit as a gc holder if you plan to spend more
than one year outside the US (I believe the maximum is 2 years with the
permit). The permit must be applied for while you are in the US.

If you are entering on K-1 then you need "Advance Parole" to travel

Old Dec 5th 2002, 8:20 pm
Michael Voight

Default Re: Reentry Permit

If you have a green card you do not need a reentry permit, normally
unless you are gone over a year or so. If you fail to maintain
residency, you could lose the greencard even if you do have a reentry
permit. In your case, no, there is no problem coming in Christmas, then
leaving in Jan and coming back in March.

Old Dec 6th 2002, 7:26 am
Pagan Sex God

Cheers Guys,

you know I knew all this but this person at work put this suggestion in my head and that was it!

Patrick