Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Reentering on AP and EAD renewal in San Francisco

Reentering on AP and EAD renewal in San Francisco

Old Jan 5th 2003, 9:19 am
BE Forum Addict

Caro is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Reentering on AP and EAD renewal in San Francisco

Hello,

I spent the holidays in France and reentered on AP in SF with my husband. It was really fast. We went through one of the US citizen/permanent resident line, and the guy told us to go to 2nd inspection for the stamp. He was extremely nice. We went to 2nd inspection, and it was very fast. One officer took my passport and AP and put all the stamps. Clearing immigration took less than 10mins from start to finish. We were actually near the luggage carousel before our suitcases showed up, a premiere for me

The next day (01/03), taking advantage of the jetlag, I renewed my EAD in person at the SF INS office. It was expiring on 01/23, and I was told that I could renew it in person in the last 30 days of its validity. It was a very bad day to go to the INS as they hadn't been that busy in months according to the announcement when they ran out of tickets at 10:30am. I showed up at 6:00am, was let into the building at 6:20am, and got my ticket at 6:30am. I saw an officer before 8:00am. Then, my application got forgotten and it took a while before I got an officer to acknowledge that they had indeed forgotten me. That was at 12:30pm. At 12:40pm, my approved application was at the cashier and I was called to pay the fee. At 1:00pm, I had paid my fee and was on my way "upstairs" to get the actual card. I was called a couple minutes after I had arrived to check the spelling, DOB of the card, to sign, to put my finger in ink and to take the picture. I was out of the building with the card at 1:20pm... So, there was a LOT of wasted time and the wait was tiring because the waiting room was very crowded (and babies and kids were starting to get bored and crying and running everywhere) but I did end up with my EAD card on the same day, and that was already a big relief.

Hope that helps somebody,
Caroline