Redundancy and departing the US

Old Jan 18th 2012, 6:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Redundancy and departing the US

Take from this what you will. Just reporting the facts. Situation won't apply to everyone.

I'm from Scotland, moved to a job in CA in 2000.
Was laid off at the end of 2001.
I was out of status. Advised by HR that I had 10-15 days to leave the U.S.
Decided not leave so soon since I had plenty savings and I reckoned if I left it would be difficult to find an opportunity to move back. Was actually out of status and living here unemployed for @ 2 years.

Companies were interested but no-one offered sponsorship.

I had an American girlfriend.
Lawyer 1 tells me go home, apply for marriage visa, come back. 9 months.

Lawyer 2 tells me. Go to Vegas, get married, apply for Permanent Residence while here. Told me the U.S. Govt won't split up a genuine marriage.

So that what we did. Got work authorization instantly, then temp GC, then permanent GC, then citizenship. No hiccups at all.

And an incredibly, wonderful, loving 8 years of marriage so far.

Last edited by Hotscot; Jan 18th 2012 at 6:19 pm. Reason: Additional info.
Old Jan 18th 2012, 11:24 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hotscot
So that what we did. Got work authorization instantly, then temp GC, then permanent GC, then citizenship.
Umm... conditional GC, not temporary! Anyway, I'm glad it all worked out for you.

Was actually out of status and living here unemployed for @ 2 years.
I know that unauthorized work is usually forgiven for the spouse of a USC, but I wonder if anyone has researched the implications of being in the US illegally as it relates to the GMC requirement for naturalization?

Ian
Old Jan 19th 2012, 12:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

Yes..conditional..in fact the immigration agent warned me not to get in a fight with my spouse

GMC question never even came up, well not in terms of being out of status..they didn't even care about that, after all I had entered legally. It was as though the clock was reset when we got married. They only cared if I had a felony or misdemeanor.

I would have went home for the nine months but it was a long time to be apart.

And now that I've been here for 12 years my wife thinks it's her turn and wants to move to the UK and get her citizenship...and why not, we've no children and life is an adventure.

Last edited by Hotscot; Jan 19th 2012 at 12:19 am.
Old Jan 19th 2012, 12:13 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hotscot
... and life is an adventure.
Couldn't agree more!

Ian