Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Receiving green card/SSN after arrival in USA

Receiving green card/SSN after arrival in USA

Old Jul 2nd 2012, 7:25 pm
Just Joined

MisterDavid is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Receiving green card/SSN after arrival in USA

Hello all,

Apologies if this has been asked before, but I couldn't find an answer anywhere else.

I arrived in the US two weeks ago, and the immigration officer in the airport didn't give me a whole lot of information about what happens next. I understand that my actual Green Card will arrive in the mail within the next couple of weeks? Does anyone have any idea of a time frame with that?

And in regards to applying for a Social Security number, do I need to have my actual Green Card to do that? Or is my passport with visa enough?

Many thanks in advance
Old Jul 2nd 2012, 8:08 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Receiving green card/SSN after arrival in USA

Originally Posted by MisterDavid
Hello all,

Apologies if this has been asked before, but I couldn't find an answer anywhere else.

I arrived in the US two weeks ago, and the immigration officer in the airport didn't give me a whole lot of information about what happens next. I understand that my actual Green Card will arrive in the mail within the next couple of weeks? Does anyone have any idea of a time frame with that?

And in regards to applying for a Social Security number, do I need to have my actual Green Card to do that? Or is my passport with visa enough?

Many thanks in advance
What visa did you arrive in the USA on? Immigrant Visa? If so, did you check the box on the visa application where it asks if you want a SSN issued automatically?

Rene
Old Jul 2nd 2012, 10:35 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Receiving green card/SSN after arrival in USA

Originally Posted by MisterDavid
I understand that my actual Green Card will arrive in the mail within the next couple of weeks? Does anyone have any idea of a time frame with that?
It seems you've answered your own question... but we both know that it's not as easy as that. It'll probably take about 4-6 weeks for your GC to arrive in the mail. Meantime, the endorsed visa in your passport does the same thing as the physical GC.

If you ticked the box on the application, your SSC should come in the mail. If it doesn't arrive after a few weeks, go to the SSA office with your passport and the endorsed visa! That should get your started. You don't need a SS# to look for work or accept a job.

Ian